Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KC's Douglas

Options
  • 27-07-2007 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭

Was in there the other day, big queue but my god is it worth it... The best chipper in Cork by miles...

One thing that does puzzle me is why is the place closed on Tuesdays?

I always heard when i was younger that it was because everybody who works there is a Jehovah's Witness (or something) and that Tuesday is like a holy day or something... I presume this is horse manure, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

dulpit wrote:
    Was in there the other day, big queue but my god is it worth it... The best chipper in Cork by miles...

One thing that does puzzle me is why is the place closed on Tuesdays?

I always heard when i was younger that it was because everybody who works there is a Jehovah's Witness (or something) and that Tuesday is like a holy day or something... I presume this is horse manure, right?

i heard that too, except the were mormans.. or something

anyway, next time you're in there get a philly steak pitta, with no lettuce and extra garlic mayo.. the nicest thing you will ever taste...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭julesrtc

i heard they were Jehovahs also but i think they just close when they want..
    some nights before the pubs close, busiest time!!!! They still get the business so can do what they want....
    they are the nicest in Cork arent they??? i have relations that visit from Mayo/Carlow and ask when r we going to K.C's!!! so its nationwide!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

It is a Jehovah thing iirc, but as said, they're practically printing money in there so why not invent your own opening times? Work when it suits and that kind of thing..

You do get a dodgy cheeseburger in there from time to time.. Some of them can be left sitting for hours and you can almost use them as doorstops. I'd second the philly steak, it's calorific! Gotta have the lettuce though, it's what makes it healthy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭beyondrapid

i heard they were witnesses also, but this was years ago - early '90s. was in ucc and used to make regular trips to douglas just for a 'pig in a poke'. the stuff of legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Vampyre pitta is to die for but lennoxes bandon road has much better chips, mattie kielys on hanover st is probably up there too!

Poll???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭julesrtc

Mattie Kielys Is Shut Down Isnt It?? He Retired....

mmm Lennox's. Thebest chipper in Cork by a long shot. I have relations from Australia who want to go to lennox's when they are here. Its internationally renowned!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya, mattie Kiely's closed... That place was hilarious, hygiene, schmygeine... And no, lennox's is a poor option compared to KC's, used to be nicer but not any more... I'd nearly pick Dino's in Kinsale over Lennox's now..

And back to KC's, i love their Chicken Nuggets, or steak sandwiches... Had a traumatic night last weekend, bought Chicken Nuggets, got home & spilled them all over the kitchen floor... Nearly cried...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I would have except the floor was quite wet, cos it had been bucketing (what's new?) and people were dragging their mucky feet through the kitchen... :(

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote:
    And no, lennox's is a poor option compared to KC's, used to be nicer but not any more... I'd nearly pick Dino's in Kinsale over Lennox's now..

(

I will never set foot in Dinos again as long as I live. Pure muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Throw up a poll on the top there dulpit, dinos in kinsale is de job all right for getting chiiper chips in a restaraunt! Can't believe Matties is closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They're Jehovahs, and they have Church services on a Tuesday night. The King Creole is simply incredible. Best item on the menu by far, although the Flaming Pig in the Spuds or the Enchilada come a close second!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

kc's is totally overrated. their chips suck the donkey's bits. golden fry all the way baby

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Golden Fry + 1
    One of the nicest chippers in cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

+1 Golden Fry. Francis'd kick the Jehovah's heads in.

I'd murder a chicken maryland right now btw.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The Golden Fry has to be the slowest chipper in the world which is why it always seems to be full.

Yeas ago I went in there and asked for a Hawaiian burger (burger with pineapple) - the response was "you're not in KCs now love.."

The Douglas and TC Dinos are better value. The chipper beside the Silver Key is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Barty's chipper up in Ballyphehane - best chips in the city - beats Lennox's hands down.

The chips aren't great in KC's, but everything else is so so good. Bombay all the way...

dudara wrote:
    Barty's chipper up in Ballyphehane - best chips in the city - beats Lennox's hands down.

The chips aren't great in KC's, but everything else is so so good. Bombay all the way...
    It wouldn't be hard to beat the Lennox's on Tory Top Road but theres no beating Lennox's on Bandon Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Lennox's is good, but the reputation it has blinds people to other great (and better) chippers in the city.

• Advertisement

parsi wrote:
    The Golden Fry has to be the slowest chipper in the world which is why it always seems to be full.
    It is very slow, which is a pain in the hole. But worth it. KC's is the best in the business when it comes to speed though. Unbelievable how quick they can move a queue in there.
    Yeas ago I went in there and asked for a Hawaiian burger (burger with pineapple) - the response was "you're not in KCs now love.."
    Well, you weren't.
    The Douglas and TC Dinos are better value. The chipper beside the Silver Key is muck.
    Can't argue with you there!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

dudara wrote:

ah no.. i live down the road from there, and used to go there regularly.. but then about 3 or 4 times in a row id come home and the chips would be soft on the outside, hard in the middle, cold and hardly cooked.. dont go there anymore now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

L&#233 wrote: »
    Golden Fry + 1
    One of the nicest chippers in cork.

Golden fry is a piece of ****. I got the fish platter one day and the prawns with their batter tasted like styrofoam. However saying that I got a nice cheeseburger one day though. But that was only once.

mmm Lennox's. Thebest chipper in Cork by a long shot. I have relations from Australia who want to go to lennox's when they are here. Its internationally renowned!

Their prices are absolutely rediculously dear. You get no value for your money in lennox's.

GaryCocs wrote:
    Vampyre pitta is to die for but lennoxes bandon road has much better chips, mattie kielys on hanover st is probably up there too!

Poll???

Polynesian, Bombay chicken and a battered sausage hands down.

Tree wrote:
    kc's is totally overrated. their chips suck the donkey's bits. golden fry all the way baby

Who goes to KC's for their chips? :confused:

JSK 253, you know you can put all that in one post, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

Overrated.

Just because they have strange opening hours, its a bit like Newgrange. All hype but not worth the wait.

next time I'm up near Newgrange, I'll be sure to call in for a pitta :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    JSK 253, you know you can put all that in one post, right?

Tis JSK ( James Simon Keane ) 252 ( Blah blah blah) not 253. Yah I know you can but couldnt be bothered:D.

Advertisement