Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KC's Douglas

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

So you're not just a moron, you're a lazy moron?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Right lads have a poll up in a new thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055128345

Lennoxes all the way!

Waste of time. Lennox's will win on popular opinion; the same popular opinion that gives us Big Brother. I vote that the discerning chipper fan such as myself and Tree should get multiple votes.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

dahamsta wrote:
    Well, you weren't.

Aye. But I wasn't in Donkey Fords either.

A burger with a slice of year-old pineapple is a Hawaiian burger in every other chipper in the entire world so why is the Golden Fry any different ? Eh ? It's a place with notions - seafood "platter" - a polystyrene plate - what's wrong with paper I ask ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Cork's best kept secret - Looney's chipper Mayfield and Blackpool!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Big Tone wrote:
    Cork's best kept secret - Looney's chipper Mayfield and Blackpool!

You can't beat the Looney Burger :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Cod almighty, it's been years since I was there. But the cod supper with curry sauce instead of peas was the mutt's nads.

And another one, there used to be a chipper about halfway down Blarney St - when I used to work strange hours in Apple I'd walk home (to Mayfield!) and go out of my way to walk down Blarna to get their chips. The burgers weren't the best, but the chips and battered sossies were up there with the best of 'em. It was a really small place but I can't remember the name of it now. For all I know it's gone, it was in the late 90s sometime... anyone know? It had a sign which mentioned something about a 'traditional chipper' or something...

parsi wrote:
    A burger with a slice of year-old pineapple is a Hawaiian burger in every other chipper in the entire world
    In all honesty, I've never seen a Hawaiian outside of KCs.
    It's a place with notions - seafood "platter" - a polystyrene plate
    I think the word is more used to indicate that it's a "medley" or somesuch, but that would be really pretentious. On a point of pedantry, as someone that used to work in packaging, those plates are actually called platters. Or "oval plates". :)
    what's wrong with paper I ask ?
    It would go soggy and collapse with the weight if you tried to pick it up. Sorry, packaging nerd again.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

dahamsta wrote:
    So you're not just a moron, you're a lazy moron?

Who called anyone a moron? Did I call you one? From my knoweledge no I didnt so why call me one? No need to go down to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

JSK 252 wrote:
    No need to go down to that level.
    Down? That's up from his usual level :p

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    In all honesty, I've never seen a Hawaiian outside of KCs.

You must broaden your horizons - there are chippers in other parts of the country ! In fear that I was going mad I did a google and yes the "recipe" does exist elsewhere http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf19686371.tip.html
    dahamsta wrote:
    I think the word is more used to indicate that it's a "medley" or somesuch, but that would be really pretentious. On a point of pedantry, as someone that used to work in packaging, those plates are actually called platters. Or "oval plates". :)

Got to love the internet - you'll always find someone who actually knows some relatively obscure area (rather than the rest of us who make wild guesses).
    dahamsta wrote:
    It would go soggy and collapse with the weight if you tried to pick it up. Sorry, packaging nerd again.
    adam

I bow to your superior packaging knowledge ;)

Heh, someone telling me I haven't visited enough chippers! You obviously haven't met me and seen my slim, trim figure! I've been to plenty of chippers, that's why I'm surprised you're on about Hawaiian's in other ones. But let's try it the other way around:

Apart from KC's, do any of the chippers mentioned in this thread have Hawaiian burgers?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

ned78 wrote:
    The King Creole is simply incredible.

Seconded!!

dahamsta wrote:
    But let's try it the other way around:

Apart from KC's, do any of the chippers mentioned in this thread have Hawaiian burgers?

adam

Haven't a notion.

I don't eat the damn things (once was ever enough) and herself doesn't eat them any more.. But I do remember that as a kid they were around in the chippers in Limerick (and on holidays up in Dublin) - probably for the continental touch...

Then again we never had potato pies. There must be a thesis in it for someone to document regional tastes in chipper products.

Jesus, I'd love a pie from Johnny Fries now. They call em "fish cakes" for some reason, despite a notable lack of fish.

Would ye stop talking about chippers ffs! :)

adam

Bit like our canteen's "salmon cakes" - I think a salmon may have swum past them at some stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Femmy wrote:
    Seconded!!

Thirded...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Poppers1888

After about a year of waiting im going to Cork for a wedding for this weekend and we are going to KCs first thing tomorrow night when we get down. Any recommendations on what to get???

Thanks

King Creole; its about the only thing on the menu that I like.

Would ye stop talking about food ffs!

• Advertisement

Back on the diet then are we? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I was there a few months back.

Not impressed being honest.

Food was grand, price was grand. Standard greasy sh!te imo.

Isn't grease the entire point of a good chipper? We don't go there for salads like.

(Yes John. Grrrr.)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭nillox

lennox's is better for basic stuff like burger n chips, but the creole is great there, not worth the huge wait tho

lennox's do a nice burger but I wouldnt rate their chips at all to be honest.

JohnK wrote:
    I wouldnt rate their chips at all to be honest.
    :eek:

Give me Dinos (Douglas) chips any day

JohnK wrote:
    Give me Dinos (Douglas) chips any day
    Dinos is pure muck. Whenever I have eaten there, the chips are always undercooked and the burgers have always left a nasty aftertaste in my mouth. Pure gank. Lennox's is much better.

I'd agree the burgers (& pittas) are crap but their chips cant be beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love KCs but I always seem to want it on Tuesday for some reason. Last week I spent an hour in rush hour traffic (Glanmire to KCs and back) to get there and it was sooo worth it. The food was still perfect when I got home. Pity I'm moving to Galway next week!! Send me up a double tranny with cheese!!

Advertisement