Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Comms Problem - Help Needed Please

Options
  • 27-07-2007 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks ,
    A while back a friend uninstalled my Norton Internet Security and installed Zone Alarm in it place .
    Every time since then I have been plagued with problems mostly regarding every prog except IE connecting to the net . I am a bit lost here on where to start so If anyone can point me in the right direction where to start it would be much appreciated .

Ok here is a quick rundown of the probs im having
    System is running WIN2K SP4 and can connect to any webpage with IE
    All the probs below started when zonealarm was installed yet all the programs that I am having probs with still exist after uninstalling zone alarm.

Mozilla ceased working after zonealarm was installed but it will work when the PC is booted up in safe mode with networking.

Picassa - Says No internet connection present

AVG Free - Will not run automatic updates

MS Frontpage - Will not update a webpage im am currently working on

FTP - will open and transfer files sucessfully but when it completes im still left with the original files on the remote directory I had before a supposed sucessfull transfer.

ABC - toreent client will connect to peers but will not commence a download.

Adaware,Spybot,AVG Rootkit and AVG free are all updated and have been ran in normal and safe mode and have found no threats.

Windows Is updated with all the latest updates.
    All prob programs have been re-installed except zonealarm without any result and I would really not have to go down the full re-install route

I have used my laptop with the same patch cable to the same port on my router anand all the progs above with probs work fine here.
    I will be at my pc in the next few hours and I will be able to upload any logs from hijack this / belarc etc if required !

Thanks to anyone who can help me out in advance !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Why dont you remove Zone alarm..It's very restrictive on out going connections.. or else allow those connections in the control panel

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

JohnnieM , ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled since I noticed these problems first appearing , and prior to uninstalling it all the app's I was having problems with had full access through ZoneAlarm !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Jambo wrote:
    JohnnieM , ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled since I noticed these problems first appearing , and prior to uninstalling it all the app's I was having problems with had full access through ZoneAlarm !
    So things are still not working after zonealarm has been uninstalled?

No , im still having the same problems after zonealarm has been unistalled,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Jambo wrote:
    No , im still having the same problems after zonealarm has been unistalled,
    see here about how to uninstall zonealarm manually:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=AllowAccess&message.id=103

I used it a few years back and found it overly restrictive and hard to uninstall. I would recommend you look for alternatives.

• Advertisement

Thanks axer ,

I folowed the instructions via the link you provides and I did find some files left over which I deleted and I also edited the registry as outlined in the page .

But my problem still exists !! ill just have to tral the net later today so as to try and find out what exactly is the " Specific " problem otherwise Ill never get this resolved .

Cheers again for your input if anyone has any other ideas fire away and ill try them .

Folks ,

Just to give an update in case anyone is interested for future ref , I managed to get my comms probles fixed this morning byt runing the Norton Removal tool turns out my friend must not have uninstalled it fully when he installed zonealarm .

Now it seems everthing is resolved , just have to change user level access to my pc so that only me will be changing anything in the future !!

Advertisement