Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tues July 31st 18:45 Three Rock -v- Mellon Heads

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Yeah all good chief, there was a point in the second half they had one cleared off the line which I swear the ref was half thinking about giving a goal for, on another day he probably would.
    Defo agree with making our own luck, just dont want us gettin carried away with the scoreline. But hey, 2 consecutive wins, no complaints from me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Oh yeah, the handball incident. I forgot about that one. It was still 2-1 then I think?

About not getting carried away with the scoreline, you're totally correct. That's what I meant by saying the fourth and fifth were the icing on the cake.

I've seen it happen to us enough times over the last two seasons, that once the third goal goes in, and the heads go down, the scoreline doesn't matter any more, all you want to do is get the game over with, and spend the remaining time wishing the ref would just blow the game up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Savman wrote:
    Yeah all good chief, there was a point in the second half they had one cleared off the line which I swear the ref was half thinking about giving a goal for, on another day he probably would.
    Defo agree with making our own luck, just dont want us gettin carried away with the scoreline. But hey, 2 consecutive wins, no complaints from me ;)

I cleared that one off the line and it definitely wasn't all the away across the line. Though it was close so the ref could've given it either way tbh. Don't think he had a good view of it so good decision for once :D

LeixlipRed wrote:
    I cleared that one off the line and it definitely wasn't all the away across the line. Though it was close so the ref could've given it either way tbh. Don't think he had a good view of it so good decision for once :D
    Yeah I don't think it crossed the line meself, but I've seen that Ref give some really odd decisions influenced by the players around him.

I think their complaints were a bit half hearted so he probably decided not to give it on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Sav, I’m all for candid assessments, but there’s a balance between Keano-style honest assessment to drive performance and being overly self-critical. It’s a good point that we shouldn’t get complacent, cos that needs to be kept in mind, but I’ve never won a game of football where I couldn’t talk myself into deciding that we didn’t deserve it by taking the ‘what if they’d done that, and we’d failed to this’ approach. By all means its good to acknowledge when you’ve been fortunate, but we’ve been unlucky more often than not this season, and we were due a decent bit of luck. So I take it when it comes and don’t question it when we benefit from it, as long as we’re not dependent on it.

True, the ref is poor (clearly doesn’t believe in giving fouls for push in the back going up for headers), and on another day would’ve given a peno on that goaline one, and on another day Gav wouldn’t have got the deflection. But on another day again I’d have buried my chance, Gav would’ve put it straight into top corner without needing the deflection, and your one off the bar would’ve gone in. So on that day it’s 7-2 to us....I’ll take that

Meant to say, credit to Des for good selection and substitutions, and fair play to Martin for a great game at right-full – I was only saying in the car you don’t appreciate how much a fullback can offer going forward until you see one doing it, and he gave us that and defended solidly.

and fair play to Martin for a great game at right-full – I was only saying in the car you don’t appreciate how much a fullback can offer going forward until you see one doing it, and he gave us that and defended solidly.

Cheers Jules

Sav, I’m all for candid assessments, but there’s a balance between Keano-style honest assessment to drive performance and being overly self-critical.
    Aye like I said, take nothing away from the result, but you can never be too prepared and they say in football the most important match is always the next one. A win is a win whether it's 1-0 or 10-0, but the problem with high scoring games is that more often than not a degree of complacency sets in. But it can have the opposite effect too, the added cockiness and self belief can be a good thing as long as we stick to the basics and do the simple things right.

I remember some games last year where in post match talks we would lament how "there's no way that team are 4 goals better than us", I'm glad that tide has turned I just think we should never underestimate the opposition. Its just my own personal view that the bar has been raised so if we can improve on Tuesday's 5-1 win (which I think we can) we wont ever go back to the days of foul throws and gifted goals.

Was very handy to have those reinforcements in 2nd half ;)

I know I've only been involved the last two games but I'm dead excited about the new season. Seen enough in those two games to know that we've got a lot of talented ball players and the desire to win. Nothing in those two games would indicate to me that we cant win a league of a similar standard next season. If we can go into the season carrying our current form then it's gonna be exciting stuff. Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

LeixlipRed wrote:
    Very impressive tonight lads. Easily could have won by more and we were rarely roubled at the back. Looking forward to claiming that right full position as my own and the beginning of the new season :D

I'll have afew words about that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

it was a great performance by all, finally we are startin to turn the screw on teams and put away chances. our defending has improved greatly over the past few months and this is not only down to the back 4 or 5, but to all the team, so that is something to build on for a next season. i aint read all the posts as some of them are long....BUT, one thing that we did not get the last night was luck!

look at the game in reality. Karl didnt touch the ball in the first half. their goal was a long ball from 60 yards that hopped over him into the net. these things happen. we had several chances, and above all, we had about 70% possession. it was only a matter of time before we scored. once we did, the confidence grew and the goals flew in. true they could have equalised, but we also hit the bar. once we got the 3rd, it was game over. lets go for 3 in a row next week, them lads next week beat us 3-2 last time, we gave them a 3 goal lead in the first 5 minutes. they are now second in the league and can win it, if they win their games in hand!

one thing i have noted, is that for the last 2 weeks, we have went out with the attitude "result does not matter and lets try a few things" and we are playing alot better. maybe that should be our attitude from now on eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yep, we owe them lads payback next Tuesday....after the eh, questionable starting selection, once we got bedded down after 10 minutes against them we were all over them for the rest of the game. THey're a big team who just love clearing long balls, so the lovely passing football we've been playing recently is the way to beat them. If we stretch them by letting the ball do the work they won't have the pace to cover.

Sav - some good points there alright, and yeh complacency is definitely our enemy, but hopefully the fight for places for the coming season will keep the drive there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

after the eh, questionable starting selection,
    :D

Gileadi wrote:
    I'll have afew words about that!

See, while you're talking about it I'll be out there doing my stuff :D

Advertisement