Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my new rig plz

Options
  • 27-07-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi gang,

Would love some help or advice on picking my new rig. I’m updating everything from scratch, monitor and all with a budget of ~€1300. I’ve been out of the loop for a while now [not keeping up to date on the technologies] and don’t have as much time as I used too for trawling the net. The PC is mostly used for photo manipulation and a good bit of gaming. Three things which are on my mind:

CPU’s: Have always been an AMD + Nvidia man and have never had any complains. BUT intel are supposedly well ahead at the moment? The price points of the AMD’s still look good but how ‘future proof’ [if there is such thing] is the socket AM2 versus 775?

Mainboard: I have always picked good motherboards then mid range processors and upgraded to the max available for that board a year or two later. Is everything still the same, look for high FSB [support 1000mhz] and make sure to pick a good make + chipset? Any recommendations?

OS’s: Vista versus XP? Think I’ll go with vista with SP1 release for late this year; I still have a pc running Win98se so I can see me making it last a good while.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I’m not that lazy so even some good online resources would be a help.

Thanks.

Advertisement