Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Vocal Mic

Options
  • 27-07-2007 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

What would be a good vocal mic for around 150-200 euros?

It'll be for recording so a large diaphragm condenser is probably what I'm looking to get.

Would the Rode NT1 be a good bet? Also how would the Studio Projects and the T-Bone mics in around the same price compare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

You shoulda kept that tube mic you sold! :D

But seriously at that price you can't go wrong with the NT1. It's very similar to the NT2, just without the pad/pattern/roll-off options. It's a very quiet mic with as flat a frequency response as you're gonna get at that price. Some people find it a little bit too bright and harsh at the high end but depending on what you're recording that can be an advantage. Just make sure you have a pop filter if you intend on recording vocals with it, as with the NT2 you're gonna be in sibilance city without one.

You might wanna look at the AKG C3000 and SE Electronics 2200 aswell if you can push the budget, but NT1 would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

SE2200 is a decent mic for the price.
    There's one in the B&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

I have a rode NT-1 and honestly its a horrible mic. Not sure what else you will get for the money but i actually never use it. and definetly not for vocal.

Id say look in to the mics suggested in the other posts. Herd good things about Se Electronics and that modle looks good for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

You shoulda kept that tube mic you sold! :D

Yea I loved waiting half an hour for the thing to heat up :P

The SE2200 seems to be getting some good reviews, I'll probably go with that. The pad and the low cut will be handy too if I'm going to use the mic for something else other than vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

Yea I loved waiting half an hour for the thing to heat up :P

Worth it.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

The_g-man wrote:
    Worth it.:p

+1

Rub it with your hands! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

What was the tube mic?

Haha, I'm just too impatient to wait :D

It was a Rode Classic I. Nice mic! I sold it at a nice profit tho so I certainly cant complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

studio projects C2

or just go with an sm58

Any reason for those recommendations?

I've got an sm57 already and its got a pretty similar performance to the sm58 judging by what I've heard and read online. I think I can do a bit better. Surely a large diaphragm condenser is a better way to go for general vocal recording anyway (assuming the room and background noise are ok).

I've tried a studio projects B1 before and I thought it was ok-ish. Would the C2 be a match for the se2200? I've only found stuff on the C1 and the C3, is the C2 new?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Hi Eoin,

Did you buy one of the mic's suggested and if so, what did you think?!

Or are you still deciding?

Cheers,

Hows Dave. I got the se2200 and it sounds pretty good. I havent had an opportunity to test it out properly yet tho. I might post up once I get something done with it.

Is it this one:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/se_electronics_se_2200a.htm

Fair play!! Seems like a good buy. Yeah, that would be deadly if you could throw something up on the net. Might even invest in one myself cos I'm looking for one myself in that price range.

Take it easy chief,

Dave

I've a recording up that uses it now: Mr Satan

I'm very impressed with it, nice and sensitive.

Cheers for throwing that up. Sounds very good. Very full sound alright. Thats going on my shopping list straight away!!!

Good tune too. Reminds me of Soul Asylum with a bit of Sonic Youth thrown in!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

teamdresch wrote:
    SE2200 is a decent mic for the price.

Been using one of these for the last year or so, great mic for the money, pretty good mic by any standard.

Advertisement