Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork Highspeed ?

Options
  • 27-07-2007 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi People,

I am moving to Cork in begin August, I think i would be around Ballingcolling,
    no my question is what is the fastest internet provider there...i am now in Dublin and i have a 24Meg line of magnet that provides me with download speeds of 2000kb's a sec so around 18mbits is there something simular in Cork because i really need the fast internet and Magnet does not provide the 24meg download and 8meg upload in Cork....please help

Thanks

Onur....

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

My advise stay in Dublin or move to somewhere else in Europe. No where in Cork has speeds like that.

Smart and Magnet maybe available in some places and could possibly offer up to 8mb BB. Otherwise you are looking at 3mb from the likes of BT or Eircom or maybe up to 5m on their business products.

Otherwise you are looking at renting a very expensive business fibre line.

BTW is that a Magnet fibre to the home service you are currently on? or DSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

This is off topic but how come I cant find anything on magnets website about the 24mb package anymore, all i can find is an old press release? Do they still offer this to new customers, what was the monthly charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

The fastest speed available in Ballincollig is 6mb from chorus...It works well in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Digiweb has Metro in parts of Ballincollig from the Churchfield Watertower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Onur

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, i will look in to those providers...as for Magnet, i have a package that they sold earlyer on..i don,t think they still do it...
    I pay about 90 euros a month for telephone, internte and broadband (adsl 2)
    the thing with the speed is little bit strange because i choose for a 8 mbit connection but they gave me 24 because of the tv signal that also has to come thrue, anyway i very very happy with them, because i did not have anyproblems with them ever..always up and no downtime...fair price for a very good connection, and you have a 700mb divx movie with in 10 minutes that is faster than walkin to the videostore ;)

anyway i hope i will find something fast in Cork but i am scared that i won,t be 24,

ps: i attach a little test from speedtest.net...i is not the true speed because in the mean time i was also doing other stuff and the time limit is very short to get up to full speed.

161091925.png

but just to give a inpression

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Drool

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Onur wrote:
    161091925.png

I think I'm about to cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭eoinok

Onur, I am curious as to what "I need the fast internet"

What will you be using it for that would require a 24Mbps connection? "Normal" surfing and downlaoding will quite suffice on a 2Mbps connection.

Unless you are going setting up a 1000 employee + compnay, I cant see what 24Mbps is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

eoinok wrote:
    Onur, I am curious as to what "I need the fast internet"

What will you be using it for that would require a 24Mbps connection? "Normal" surfing and downlaoding will quite suffice on a 2Mbps connection.

Unless you are going setting up a 1000 employee + compnay, I cant see what 24Mbps is needed.

Having a household with a few computers would eat up that connection pretty fast or if your watching streaming hd video or doing any type of hosting. In most European countries speeds 20 meg and higher are really common they must be using it for something. Maybe us Irish just are missing out on something because we have never experienced first world country speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Having a household with a few computers would eat up that connection pretty fast or if your watching streaming hd video or doing any type of hosting. In most European countries speeds 20 meg and higher are really common they must be using it for something. Maybe us Irish just are missing out on something because we have never experienced first world country speeds.
    Exactly, onur mentioned in another thread that he was from the Netherlands where they are used to 24mb and higher being the norm so when he was coming to ireland he was very lucky to live in an area where magnet was and indeed get a package that they no longer sell(why did they stop??).
    Irish people have no idea what we are missing out on, other eu countries must be laughing at our diabolical speeds while they stream some hdtv and download whole movies in a matter of minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement