Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving new values (PHP)

Options
  • 27-07-2007 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to create a form that edits cells in a table. At the moment I display the form with the values set to what ever is currently in the table so the contents of the appropriate cell can be seen in the text box (kind of like when you click the edit button here). However when I go to UPDATE the database it doesn't accept the edit value instead it takes the original value. Is their anyway arround this or will I have to leave the value blank?

Heres my script
    [PHP]
    echo "<td><input type=\"text\" name=\"Sname\" value=\"" . $row . "\" size=\"10\" /></td>\n";
    echo "<td><input type=\"text\" name=\"Fname\" value=\"" . $row . "\" size=\"10\" /></td>\n";
    echo "<td><input type=\"text\" name=\"Number\" value=\"" . $row . "\" size=\"10\" /></td>\n";
    [/PHP]

Thanks,
    S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

can you not just use javascript for this?

document.getElementById('cell1').value=newvalue

?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I guess I could but I'd rather not. My JS isn't great plus theirs got to be away to do this without. It seems a bit ludacris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I suspect that the form is not where your problem lies. When you submit the form, are you correctly taking the POSTed data and using that (and not the data from the database) in your UPDATE?

Have you also checked your UPDATE syntax? If it fails silently you might get the impression that all you're doing is using the original values (as they've not changed).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I hadn't thought of the possibility that its not working:o . I've gone through the script many-a-time though and can't find any errors in it. Heres the form:
    [PHP]
    echo "<form name=\"edit\" method=\"post\" action=\"editVal.php\">";
    echo "<tr>";
    echo "<td><input type=\"text\" name=\"day\" value=\"" . $row . "\" size=\"8\" /></td>\n";
    echo "<td><input type=\"text\" name=\"Sname\" value=\"" . $row . "\" size=\"10\" /></td>\n";
    echo "<td><input type=\"text\" name=\"Fname\" value=\"" . $row . "\" size=\"10\" /></td>\n";
    echo "<td><input type=\"text\" name=\"Number\" value=\"" . $row . "\" size=\"10\" /></td>\n";
    echo "<td><input type=\"submit\" value=\"Done\" />\n";
    echo "</form>\n";
    echo "</td></tr>\n";
    }
    mysql_close($con);
    [/PHP]

And the UPDATE:
    [PHP]<?php
    mysql_query("UPDATE table_name SET
    Sname = '$_POST[Sname]',
    Fname = '$_POST[Fname]',
    number = '$_POST[number]',
    WHERE IdNo='$_POST[IdNo]' AND day='$_POST[day]'");
    ?>[/PHP]

Everything appears to be in order. Also, how do I test to see if its not working if I don't store the command in a variable? Is it something like
    [PHP]
    if (mysql_query==false){
    echo "error";
    }[/PHP]?

Thanks,
    S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 CelloPoint

Seachmall wrote:
    I hadn't thought of the possibility that its not working:o . I've gone through the script many-a-time though and can't find any errors in it. Heres the form:
    [PHP]
    echo "<form name=\"edit\" method=\"post\" action=\"editVal.php\">";
    echo "<tr>";
    echo "<td><input type=\"text\" name=\"day\" value=\"" . $row . "\" size=\"8\" /></td>\n";
    echo "<td><input type=\"submit\" value=\"Done\" />\n";
    echo "</form>\n";
    echo "</td></tr>\n";
    }
    mysql_close($con);
    [/PHP]

And the UPDATE:
    [PHP]<?php
    mysql_query("UPDATE table_name SET
    Sname = '$_POST[Sname]',
    Fname = '$_POST[Fname]',
    number = '$_POST[number]',
    WHERE IdNo='$_POST[IdNo]' AND day='$_POST[day]'");
    ?>[/PHP]

Everything appears to be in order. Also, how do I test to see if its not working if I don't store the command in a variable? Is it something like
    [PHP]
    if (mysql_query==false){
    echo "error";
    }[/PHP]?

Thanks,
    S

Yeah, in this case, I think you'd need to use the PHP DOM (although watch out for server load if your site is gonna be used a lot). I tried to go down the all-PHP road once myself, but echoing JavaScript via PHP was just way more convenient.

Some people go way over-the-top about browser compatibility: I think most people have JS in this day and age. What is it you're trying to achieve that you'd prefer not to use javascript?

• Advertisement
Advertisement