Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car for around 25k?

• 27-07-2007 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

May be getting a new (to me at any rate) car soon now that I have a full licence and was hoping to get a saloon, 3-4 years old, and reliable for about the 25k mark.

Some makes/models that have crossed my mind so far are the Avensis, Passat or BMW 318i - i have heard that the BMW needs frequent servicing or repairs whereas the Avensis or Passat are really reliable but just wondering if anyone with experience of any or all of these models could shed any light?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I got a 2 year old Volvo S40 Lux model (too many extras to mention) for around that money (with low milage). People regularly compliment me on the look of the car inside and out when they see it. It's a great all rounder other than the shape of the boot (massively deep but narrow access). Highly recommend if you want to stand out from the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

my mate is selling a 02 BMW 318.... it's lovely. Blue, low mileage, leather, alloys and FSH

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=715500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

May be getting a new (to me at any rate) car soon now that I have a full licence and was hoping to get a saloon, 3-4 years old, and reliable for about the 25k mark.

Some makes/models that have crossed my mind so far are the Avensis, Passat or BMW 318i - i have heard that the BMW needs frequent servicing or repairs whereas the Avensis or Passat are really reliable but just wondering if anyone with experience of any or all of these models could shed any light?

wherever you heard that its nonsense (at least re the passat)

you will find for some inexplicable reason passat owners think its the greatest car ever? its quite bland, pretty comfortable, most of them are slow and its not as reliable as its made out to be.

if you havent got a major leaning one way or another the honda accord is well built, reliable, distinctive looking and seems very well rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would second the slightly newer S40 - dynamically a very good car, I also happen to really like the look of them (but thats subjective).

You could easily get a 4 yo 3 series for that money 320d maybe but unless you will appreciate the dynamics of it or want the kudos of being a beemer driver I wouldn't bother, the lower spec ones can be fairly dreary too.

The Avensis is a car for people who want to buy a car and forget they own it.
    If thats what your after there are few cars that will do that job so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

You heard wrong.

Avensis is very boring. Reliable though.
    Passat is average in all respects and not all that reliable.
    BMW will cost you more for servicing etc. It'll be nicer to drive than the other two (unless you go for the 130BHP TDI Passat) but otherwise it's a fairly uninvolving drive. 318i is everywhere. They're fairly boring to look at in my opinion.

What I'd be asking myself is what do you want the car for and how interested in cars are you?
    Do you need a large saloon? Are you lugging people around? If not a hatchback is more practical and easier to park.
    Do you enjoy driving...if so start doing some investigation online into the various brands and models. 25K is a lot of money to fork out to not do some investigating first.
    Do you have limits on engine size in terms of insurance? How old are you?

If you are in the market for a large family saloon you won't go far wrong with the Honda Accord recommendation. Great cars.

Btw...I would not second the previous model Volvo S40. Very overrated car in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Go for a 01 Teg Type-R if your over 25 :) Nice and powerful saloons.

If it's not your thing the Accord is a fine gentleman/businessman's car.

CarLover wrote:
    Btw...I would not second the previous model Volvo S40. Very overrated car in my opinion.

Can I ask why and in what way its overrated in your opinion?
    What do you mean by previous model ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I'm just waiting for the recommendation to come in.... you al know what it's going to be ;)

I wouldn't say that any of them need more servicing than the others. The Toyota labour charges might a bit cheaper than a VW or BMW garage will be looking for. My experience with service departments with all three Manufacturers would lead me to say that VW have offered me the poorest customer service. Then again that is only my experience.

Have you any engine limit that you want to impose (for tax & insurance, fuel purposes), it looks like 1.8L from your first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

CarLover wrote:
    You heard wrong.

What I'd be asking myself is what do you want the car for and how interested in cars are you?
    Do you need a large saloon? Are you lugging people around? If not a hatchback is more practical and easier to park.
    Do you enjoy driving...if so start doing some investigation online into the various brands and models. 25K is a lot of money to fork out to not do some investigating first.
    Do you have limits on engine size in terms of insurance? How old are you?

If you are in the market for a large family saloon you won't go far wrong with the Honda Accord recommendation. Great cars.

Won't really be lugging people around actually, usually just myself and the wife, the odd lift for mates etc. I just like saloons generally.

I do enjoy driving, and would want something thats good for mostly city driving and the odd 2 hour or so trip to the mother-in-laws.

Not sure about engine size and insurance, I'm 35 but have only learned to drive in the last year and passed my test a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

RobAMerc wrote:
    Can I ask why and in what way its overrated in your opinion?
    What do you mean by previous model ?

I've driven one that my brother owned once upon a time. It was quite poor I thought. Poor driving characteristics...or no more than average. I also didn't think much of the interior or the poke from a 1.8 litre engine. He thought the same and traded it for an Oktavia. I tried to reason with him but he loves his seriously underpowered skip so who am I to argue...

By previous model I mean the one prior to the new one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭scitpo

I'm in a similar boat as you. Got about 25k to burn. Heres what I've been thinking.

00 Merc S320CDi : Lots of car for the money but the service issues are holding me back.
    01-2 BMW 530d : Stying is starting to date fast.
    04 Honda Accord : Looks a little bland and a few issues with size for me.
    Volvo s80 or s60 2.4D : Masssive luxury for the price. Might just get a petrol version and save even more money on the initial cost.

CarLover wrote:

He'd have to be pretty dim to pay 25k for one of them to be fair - the OP would get a v.nice spec'd newer model for that money - different league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Why not get a new Civic saloon 1.4 with sunroof and a few extras and keep the change ? Can pick your own colour and all.
    (I trust that you have a lock-up garage.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

CarLover wrote:
    I've driven one that my brother owned once upon a time. It was quite poor I thought. Poor driving characteristics...or no more than average. I also didn't think much of the interior or the poke from a 1.8 litre engine. He thought the same and traded it for an Oktavia. I tried to reason with him but he loves his seriously underpowered skip so who am I to argue...

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=727702

Advertisement