Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who are the greatest band in the world right now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No doubt Muse are definetly the best of a bad lot, because I have payed to see them live in the past, I've got their albums, and I think compared to a lot of so-called rock bands out there, Matt Belamy actually does something interesting and exciting on the guitar. But I think it's a serious stretch to call them experimental, or for that matter, the greatest band currently going. I still find that spurious.

Can't disagree with you about bands like Dead Can Dance, and Switchblade Symphony being atmospheric, but I've listened to Cinema Strange, and Alien Sex Fiend, and can't really consider them all that experimental.

I'm still coming back to Dimmu Borgir, in terms of creativity, atmosphere and such phenominal musical vision, they just about crush any band you care to mention. I'm listening to their album Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia at the moment, and I can't help but think what an absolute milestone in musical acheivment it is. Sure, the orchestra has been done in a band context before, but never has it been applied to such extreme music, and it even comes off better than other bands have done it. The fact that their music has been used in many film trailers is a testament to that.

It's complex, but I wouldn't say on a technical level, more on a layered level. It's like the musical equivelant of sipping a fine whiskey, and tasting the different textures on the palette, how it lingers, the aftertaste, the smell, how it becomes such a complete experience. Well, Dimmu's like that, how melodies interplay and the music works on so many levels. So yeah, you want something creative, atmospheric (Hell, it doesn't get any more atmospheric than one of their instrumental tracks, just listen to "Perfection Or Vanity?" and you'll see what I mean) and still an incredibly musical work, then seriously, it doesn't get much better than Dimmu Borgir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Rozie wrote:
    That last sentence has to be one of the most dumbass things I've ever heard on the subject of relativism vs. objectivity.

Just because people have two different views on what something is, doesn't mean neither are correct. For instance, I can think that the square root of 4 is 6, and someone else could think it to be 2, and it'd pretty obvious they'd be right.

I am just sick of everyone putting things in relativist terms nowadays and thinking it clever. It's not. Relativism means you don't have to think about anything, ever, since it's all relative to whatever person is experiencing it, it's their dealio and not your place to butt in. It's completely anti-intellectual and is of course very popular since it doesn't require any brain power to think in those terms.
    So you're saying that you're right and I'm wrong and that your opinion happens to always correlate with what is an inherent and unchangable fact?

If you can't conclusively measure something then all we've got is relativism, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

+1 For pearl jam......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Arcade Fire undisputably.

Orizio wrote:
    Arcade Fire undisputably.

I dispute that.

• Advertisement

Smashing Pumpkins!!!!

Muse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Smashing Pumpkins!!!!

Muse!

Wrong century there. ;)

Orizio wrote:
    Wrong century there. ;)

To be entirely fair, despite the hiatus, they've just released a new album, so they're certainly a band who are "Right now" and are inkeeping with the topic. However, they are not the greatest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

but I've listened to Cinema Strange, and Alien Sex Fiend, and can't really consider them all that experimental.

ASF do have several "expiremental" tracks even on the Singles Album I have, a lot of synthwankery, etc.

I suppose it depends on the definition of expiremental.

I would call Throbbing Gristle expiremental, though, even though they're "meant" to be Industrial(but aren't really).

Rozie wrote:
    ASF do have several "expiremental" tracks even on the Singles Album I have, a lot of synthwankery, etc.

I suppose it depends on the definition of expiremental.

I would call Throbbing Gristle expiremental, though, even though they're "meant" to be Industrial(but aren't really).

Yeah, Throbbing Gristle are definetly on the more experimental side of things, but I wouldn't call synthwankery experimental as such.

Getting back to what I was saying about Dimmu Borgir, give this a listen:

Some guy made the video himself, but the song is an instrumental track from the original Stormblast album. But I think you'll agree that it's quite minimalist and atmospheric. Quite haunting and beautiful.

Have a listen to this aswell:

Which is the instrumental Fear & Wonder from the album Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Ignore the video, it's just some kinda analysis some guy did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm sorry Karl but Sigur Rós p1ss all over that. Personally I thought the music in those 2 videos was just bland and totally uninspiring, the type of midi samples that you'd get on cheap keyboards. Sorry!

But it suppose it does prove the point that asking who are the greatest band at the moment is just pointless. It's way too subjective. Hands up who a vast knowledge of every single style of music of the past and the present? Anybody? No? Didn't think so. Therefore any recommendations are just opinions and not fact.

Ah quit trolling, Bazmo. :p

Sure, the first song was from a much older album and the recording wasn't great, so it doesn't sound amazing, but the second was recorded with a 40 piece orchestra, so comparing it to a cheap keyboard would suggest your ears need adjusting. The thing is, their music has been used in quite a few movie trailers and the like, so I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one who thinks they've done good work.

Ah quit trolling, Bazmo. :p

Sure, the first song was from a much older album and the recording wasn't great, so it doesn't sound amazing, but the second was recorded with a 40 piece orchestra, so comparing it to a cheap keyboard would suggest your ears need adjusting. The thing is, their music has been used in quite a few movie trailers and the like, so I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one who thinks they've done good work.
    I'm not trolling at all, I really do think it's awful. Well maybe not awful but certainly not experimental or ground breaking. And I'm being perfectly honest.

The thing is, their music has been used in quite a few movie trailers and the like, so I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one who thinks they've done good work.
    Isn't an Avril Lavigne song being used for a trailer for a new movie?

Horses for courses....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I would say Karl Hungus is the greatest band in the world right now.

BaZmO* wrote:
    I'm not trolling at all, I really do think it's awful. Well maybe not awful but certainly not experimental or ground breaking. And I'm being perfectly honest.

Now you see, I've never really claimed they were experimental. You must've picked me up wrong there when I was saying that Muse and others weren't all that experimental, because that wasn't to say that Dimmu Borgir are.

However, on the terms of ground-breaking, I have to say that they certainly are. As I've said before, the use of the orchestra with such extreme music hadn't been done before, and not only that, but make it work so incredibly well with the music, so I think anyone can appreciate that. Even then, the fact that they were one of the very first bands in the scandinavian scene to incorporate keyboards into their music, so I think it makes them twice as groundbreaking.

You really do have to take it in the context of the scene they came from, which to be honest, was a very traditionalist and closed-minded scene, and that's even evident today, where a lot of bands such as Darkthrone still dictate that the music should be done a certain way, and vocally slam bands who 'step out of line' as they see it. Dimmu Borgir still get a lot of flak from the extreme metal scene for doing things that the scenesters believe shouldn't be done. In the context where the use of clean vocals is like breaking one of the 10 commandments, the band go right ahead and take absolute full advantage of bassist's Simen Hestnæs' fantastic operatic vocals on most songs since he joined the band, it's not only groundbreaking, but points a huge middle finger up to the constrictive and ignorant scene. Couple that with the use of horn sections, and even the occassional experimentation with industrial elements (See the song Puritania), it all comes together to form an incredibly groundbreaking band.

Consider aswell, that unlike Metallica, they didn't hire a composer to orchestrate their works for them, it was their keyboardist Stian Thoresen who composed and conducted the orchestra. ;)

Of course, Dimmu Borgir have spawned a lot of immitators, if you've little experience with the extreme metal genre, it mightn't sound all that original or groundbreaking if you've heard the immitations, and it could be a little hard to appreciate just how unique they are. But I honestly think that they stand head and shoulders about the myriad of bands who've followed in their wake, especially considering the bands who've done similar things after Dimmu can often lose a lot of the heaviness of the music, but in this case the band really take advantage of the dynamics provided by the orchestration and really retain a heavy, extreme edge to their music, and they're never overpowered with it, it just adds to their incredibly powerful sound.

So no, they're certainly not all that experimental, but they are a very groundbreaking band, and I really don't use that term lightly either. Of course, it's not all about breaking new ground, because I think they've vastly creative musicians and made some absolutely brilliant music. The sheer musical depth, dynamics and overall soundscapes they create, it's just fantastic. I even think that the guitar solo in the song Kings Of The Carnival Creation is one of the best I've heard, it's not wankey, it's not showing off, it's just an incredibly musical piece of guitar work with great melody.

I think it might be a bit hard to get across in a discussion, especially when all I've got at hand to demonstrate their music is a handfull of clips. You really do need to hear one of their albums in full, especially considering their last album comprised of a single storyline that ran throughout it's entirity, it just doesn't work if you can't sit back and listen to it in full.

I'll leave you with the video for Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse. I don't expect you'll like it, so no worries if you don't. I'll just say that the clean verse about a minute into the song almost never fails to stand my hairs on end, the vocals are just so incredibly powerful.

Enjoy, or not. :)

Edit: I've just got to throw this one in too:

Great riffs, beautiful orchestration, fantastic interplay of melody and rythm, at times heavy and brooding, and very atmospheric. Just a great song. ;)
    BaZmO* wrote:
    Isn't an Avril Lavigne song being used for a trailer for a new movie?

Horses for courses....

Ah, but the real question would be is the film any good? Because the films that've used Dimmu Borgir's music, incidentally, have been very good. Whereas I could probably guess it's some teen girl flick that's using the Avril Lavigne song. The quality of the movie probably counts for something. ;)

Could be horses for courses in that reguard aswell, but I love Hellboy. :D

Also, their music has been used in the trailer for the upcoming Stardust.

Throbbing Gristle kick ass.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Throbbing Gristle kick ass.

:D

You know, I think there's a few people posting on this thread who could do with checking out my Ulver thread: http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055133899

Very cool, experimental electronica, kinda like Coil. Well recommended!

I'll check em out. I love experimental electronica.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, what more can I say that Karl hasn't already said about Dimmu Borgir? I love them so much I even have a t-shirt! I have had the most wonderous pleasure of seeing them live and it was breath-taking. It took me a long time to find my way musically. I went through all sorts of stuff before finding the way that is Dimmu. The layers of aural joy that make up one of their symphonies click in a way which hits all the right notes.

There is no one who can come close.

Dimmu is all. Borgir is the truth.

Dimmu Borgir are the epitome of what great music is today. How many other bands would you contemplate travelling half way round the world to see? The first time I was exposed to the greatness of the Borgir I felt like I was being born anew.

From the subtle yet invigorating underlying beat to the near apocalyptic vocals, Dimmu Borgir create a sound like no other. Their ability to bring so many different elements of metal to play is quiet simply breathtaking.

• Advertisement

How many other bands would you contemplate travelling half way round the world to see?

Thankfully I only had to go as far as England to see them! :D

Dear god though, as Kharn said, they're simply breathtaking live! They just put on an incredible show; the stage persona of the band, aswell as lots of theatrical aspects and smokes machines makes for an incredibly atmospheric experience. You'd think that a band like that, with so many layers and orchestration would fall short in a live enviroment, but on stage they manage to sound every bit as good as they do in studio, possibly even better. Altogether, a Dimmu Borgir show is just an altogether complete experience. They truly are world-class musicians, absolute pros. I feel sorry for any fans out there who haven't had the chance to see one of their shows, it's just truly exceptional.

I'd go see them again in a heartbeat.

Dimmu Borgir create a sound like no other
    Thank fook!!!
    aswell as lots of theatrical aspects and smokes machines
    Like one of these?
    Because that's quite handy. ;)

Sorry, I'm being facetious but I really don't think that there's anything special about that music and of course that's my opinion. I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge as to whether it's groundbreaking or not. Maybe in that particular scene it is but mixing guitars with an orchestra? Meh.

Again, I'll state it again...A poll on who the greatest band in the world is is pointless.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Sorry, I'm being facetious but I really don't think that there's anything special about that music and of course that's my opinion. I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge as to whether it's groundbreaking or not. Maybe in that particular scene it is but mixing guitars with an orchestra? Meh.

You said you weren't trolling earlier, but can you be a bit more serious perhaps? I think you're seriously glossing over my posts, and being rather sarcastic and dismissive.

You misconstrue my point about the use of the orchestra. It's not a case of 'guitars + orchestra = groundbreaking' because as I've said a few times by now, many bands have done that before, Deep Purple, Metallica, Steve Vai, but that's not what I'm getting at. The point is that it's never been done with such extreme music before Dimmu did it.

I do get the feeling that you're not all that willing to see it from that perspective, but... Think of it in terms of extreme metal being considered so very un-musical. For most people, I think even the simple idea of distorted vocals would be the farthest thing from classical music there could be. It would be like [insert Death Metal band here] using an orchestra, people would've probably laughed at the idea. It wouldn't work! But from that perspective, I think Dimmu Borgir have done the impossible, and the fact that they didn't hire someone to write, arrange and conduct the orchestrations for them, like every other band have done, they went and did it themselves, it's just an incredible acheivement. You mightn't like their music, but I'm sure anyone can appreciate the fact, and it sets them apart from just about every other band who've used orchestras in the past.

You also seem dismissive of the scene they came from, but I think it's integrally important that people realise that they came from a scene that did not look kindly on trying new things, so to even succeed, never mind trive as Dimmu have in that context, it's just something quite rare. Infact, there's very few bands to have come from the Scandinavian metal scene that are truly unique, and I would say without doubt that Dimmu Borgir are certainly one of the first and foremost.
    BaZmO* wrote:
    Again, I'll state it again...A poll on who the greatest band in the world is is pointless.

Yeah, I agree completely. A poll is totally pointless. Because it's clearly Dimmu Borgir.

Sorry, guess it was my turn to be facetious? :p

Seriously though, you are entitled to your opinion. You don't like the music, I'm not going to try and make you, infact, I don't think you even need to like them at all to agree that they've had some amazing accomplishments in their musical career.

But the thing is, earlier in this thread, you actually seemed to compare with all seriousness a song that was recorded with a 40 piece orchestra with the sound of a cheap keyboard, so when you say that you think there's nothing special about their music, I think you mightn't even have the ability or ear to appreciate their work. Now I don't mean that as an insult whatsoever, because it really isn't, it's just how human hearing works, it develops over time.

For example, I can sometimes stick on an album I haven't heard in a long time, and listening to it with a more mature ear, it can sound different, I can pick up on things that hadn't noticed before. Or when I was younger, it took me much, much longer to get into an album and understand exactly what it was the musicians were doing than it would now. For example, the first Opeth album I ever got, I didn't really like at all at first, and it actually took over a month before I really got into it. From memory, what I heard when I first listened to it, and what I hear when I listen to it now, are very different things.

I don't want to come off as condescending here, but it does appear to me that you might lack the aural sophistication to really enjoy their music on the same level I do. Maybe you could do with listening to them a few more times, because it is musically very rich and layered compared to a lot of music out there, and there's probably a lot of elements you've not picked up on first listen around. I'm assuming here that you've never listened to them before this thread? It might be worth your time getting one of their albums and listening to it thouroughly a few times in order to really appreciate it.

;)

It wouldn't work! But from that perspective, I think Dimmu Borgir have done the impossible
    And if you say it works well then congratulations, enjoy it, but that's not to say that everybody else thinks it works.

Yeah, I agree completely. A poll is totally pointless. Because it's clearly Dimmu Borgir.
    :D

But the thing is, earlier in this thread, you actually seemed to compare with all seriousness a song that was recorded with a 40 piece orchestra with the sound of a cheap keyboard, so when you say that you think there's nothing special about their music, I think you mightn't even have the ability or ear to appreciate their work. Now I don't mean that as an insult whatsoever, because it really isn't, it's just how human hearing works, it develops over time.

For example, I can sometimes stick on an album I haven't heard in a long time, and listening to it with a more mature ear, it can sound different, I can pick up on things that hadn't noticed before. Or when I was younger, it took me much, much longer to get into an album and understand exactly what it was the musicians were doing than it would now. For example, the first Opeth album I ever got, I didn't really like at all at first, and it actually took over a month before I really got into it. From memory, what I heard when I first listened to it, and what I hear when I listen to it now, are very different things.

I don't want to come off as condescending here, but it does appear to me that you might lack the aural sophistication to really enjoy their music on the same level I do. Maybe you could do with listening to them a few more times, because it is musically very rich and layered compared to a lot of music out there, and there's probably a lot of elements you've not picked up on first listen around. I'm assuming here that you've never listened to them before this thread? It might be worth your time getting one of their albums and listening to it thouroughly a few times in order to really appreciate it.
    So someone doesn't agree with you so you say that they don't have the musical ear to appreciate it? :rolleyes:

Is it really that difficult to believe that someone might have a different taste in music to yourself?

I've already said that I accept the fact that they may have been groundbreaking in their own scene but to my "untrained" :rolleyes: ear I don't think it's anything special.

As for midi comment, I suppose there was a level of facetiousness to the comment but I do feel there's an element of truth in it.
    http://www.piano-midi.de/midis/albeniz/alb_esp1.mid
    But again, that's in my opinion.

Music is a highly subjective thing and at the end of the day it really comes down to what you get out of music personally. I'm sure there are many people that would turn their noses up at my taste in music and that's fine, that's their perogative but I don't feel the need to try and convince them otherwise.

BaZmO* wrote:
    And if you say it works well then congratulations, enjoy it, but that's not to say that everybody else thinks it works.

Does someone have to like Fantasy to appreciate what Tolkien created?
    Do they have to like Thrillers to admit that Hitchcock had an impact on cinema? :)
    Do you have to be gay to admit Brad Pitt is handsome?

I think the same applies in this case.
    BaZmO* wrote:
    So someone doesn't agree with you so you say that they don't have the musical ear to appreciate it? :rolleyes:

Is it really that difficult to believe that someone might have a different taste in music to yourself?

Oh please! Now that's really trolling. As if anyone wouldn't realise people have different tastes in music, it's a ridiculous comeback from someone who can't argue on the level, and there really should be a music discussion equivelant of Godwin's Law for that bull. But in earnest I've already dismissed what you've said in my previous post, when I said this:
    Seriously though, you are entitled to your opinion. You don't like the music, I'm not going to try and make you, infact, I don't think you even need to like them at all to agree that they've had some amazing accomplishments in their musical career.

So seriously, put away your clichéd musical discussion retort #11, because I've already debunked it before you even posted it, which makes me think even more that you're just glossing over my posts, and not really reading them at all.
    BaZmO* wrote:
    I've already said that I accept the fact that they may have been groundbreaking in their own scene but to my "untrained" :rolleyes: ear I don't think it's anything special.

As for midi comment, I suppose there was a level of facetiousness to the comment but I do feel there's an element of truth in it.
    http://www.piano-midi.de/midis/albeniz/alb_esp1.mid
    But again, that's in my opinion.

I'm sorry if you don't like what I think about you hearing capabilities, as I've said, I don't mean that as an insult.

And yes, that's a very nice piece of midi, no denying it, but I also think that for someone versed in music, there's absolutely no mistaking it for a 40 piece orchestra either.
    BaZmO* wrote:
    Music is a highly subjective thing and at the end of the day it really comes down to what you get out of music personally. I'm sure there are many people that would turn their noses up at my taste in music and that's fine, that's their perogative but I don't feel the need to try and convince them otherwise.

I think you'd do well reading the thread again, from the start.

You see, this is a discussion about who are the greatest band in the world right now, and so far a few people so far have agreed that there is the possibility of such a thing, and John even came up with a formulae for this, so I'm very eager to see the results of that, if he gets around to posting it. You see the thing is, I see people on this thread as arguing things out, and eventually coming to a conclusion.

In this reguard, a lot of people who have posted just dropped a name, given absolutely no reason as to why that band is the greates, then contributed no further to the thread. I think those opinions can be easily dismissed. On the other hand, I like to think I've made some compelling arguments as to why Dimmu Borgir is the greatest, or at the very least expressed my opinion as best I could, and it seems that those who are agreeing with me are also offering reasons and qualifying their opinions also. Of course, there has been an odd namedrop of Dimmu Borgir, but I suppose that's to be expected.

But as I see it, we're quite close to reaching a conclusion in this matter, and you're not really offering anything to show that they're not the greatest band, aside from saying that "In your opinion" you don't like them, making some rather silly and kinda trollish posts, and showing yourself as lacking a discerning ear for music.

Also, listen... I know you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but lets say for a second that hypothetically an international group of music scholars got together, decided on a definite conclusion, and it was announced world-wide that Dimmu Borgir were the greatest band in the world right now... Would that really affect you? Would it change your opinion, or your taste? I really doubt it would.

So I don't want you to like them, just admit that Dimmu Borgir are the greatest. :)

Froot wrote:
    I would say Karl Hungus is the greatest band in the world right now.
    +1

The reason Dimmu are quiet simply the greatest band in the world today is down to the fact that their music can be appreciated on so many levels. And by so many people. We got their entire back catalogue in last friday week, and it all sold out in under a week. Usually, if we get metal in it sits on a shelf for at least a month before anyone buys it.

There really is no accounting for some peoples taste, but I have noticed that people who normally hate metal will listen to Dimmu. I think it has something to do with the fact that so many film trailers are using their songs.

Some great news for everyone out there the Borgir are playing a number of gigs in England next month. Thinking I'll be heading over for the London one.

Some great news for everyone out there the Borgir are playing a number of gigs in England next month. Thinking I'll be heading over for the London one.

If you're serious about it, I may join you. Who knows, maybe we can organise a bit of a boards trip?

If you're serious about it, I may join you. Who knows, maybe we can organise a bit of a boards trip?

I was going to suggest a boards Borgir weekend. At the minute im prettyserious about going, just have to make sure that my boss will cover me at work. That's the difficulty of working in a shop where only two peole are employed and one is leaving in just over two weeks.

• Advertisement

Ah, well let us know how it pans out.

Advertisement