Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who are the greatest band in the world right now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Is this the official boards karl hungus meeting thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

Arcade Fire are the greatest band in the world in my opinion, closely followed by Mastodon, Radiohead and Flight of the Conchords(My 3rd or 4th favourite novelty band from New Zealand:D ).

I mean a load of people are gonna say this is a pretty pointless thread, but I don't entirely agree. It's pointless in terms of finding the greatest band in the world, yes, and we all know why that is.

However, I think it gives us a chance to check out some of these bands that people think are the greatest, but we may have never heard. I, for instance, am now going to check out dimmu borgir and see what all the fuss is about because I will listen to absolutely any genre of music as long as it's good music.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

The Chameleons should have been as big as The Cure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdf-hmuxRg0&mode=related&search=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just listened to a couple of Dimmu Borgir songs.

Utter shite.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Archimedes wrote:

Utter shite.

Well this'll be fun to watch. Oh and to make things fair suggest an alternative to Dimmu Borgir...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

The E Street Band
    Counting Crows - Best 'band' since 'The Band'.

Edit: Closely followed by Kar Hungus, the best one-man-band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Emmm...Pixies for me are the best band in the world . Never heard any of that Dimmu band or whatever they are called i'll check them out when i get home...Although i'm not a metal fan so i doubt i'll like them.The names makes me think they dress like monsters and have foam swords and hammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Emmm...Pixies for me are the best band in the world . Never heard any of that Dimmu band or whatever they are called i'll check them out when i get home...Although i'm not a metal fan so i doubt i'll like them.The names makes me think they dress like monsters and have foam swords and hammers.

Wrong decade there. ;)

Right now, Arcade Fire, The National,Battles and Spoon in that order since they have released the albums of 2007.

I'll have to check out DB. Any suggestions anyone?

Orizio wrote:
    Wrong decade there. ;)

Well they are technically still together ..although yes they haven;t released an album in quite a while.There's just not another band around at the moment that excites me.And hopefully the pixies will release a new album...although thats a whole new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Archimedes wrote:

Utter shite.

Well, there's always someone who'd prefer a Lindsay Lohan movie to an Ingmar Bergman film, or would rather eat at Maccy D's than have a good meal at a fine resteraunt, for example. So you can never account for a wrong opinion!

• Advertisement

Im willing to bet my weekly tuppence that the majority of people in Ireland would also consider that freak show of a band to be utter sh!te.

And there aint nothing wrong with Herbie: Fully Loaded either so dont go there!

lordgoat wrote:
    Well this'll be fun to watch. Oh and to make things fair suggest an alternative to Dimmu Borgir...

Fair enough, but having a hard time finding a youtube of a bucket of cats...

If the majority of people in Ireland voted for Bertie, would you do that too?

Oh wait... :o

But after that last comment of yours, I think you're just trolling, and trying to get a rise out of the many fans here. I'd wish you good luck with that, but I doubt a lot of people will rise to it.

Archimedes wrote:
    Fair enough, but having a hard time finding a youtube of a bucket of cats...

I'm not particularly gone on DB, but i can see what people would see in them. I asked you for an alternative that you would listen to instead of them.

If you do actually listen to a bucket of cats in your spare time fair enough. Else suggest something that pleases you, or are you afraid of what the others will say?

Ok well i listened to them like i said i would and i didn;t like them. They aren't the worst band i've ever heard but the problem i have is i can;t take any band seriously when they are all fantasy like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ok well i listened to them like i said i would and i didn;t like them. They aren't the worst band i've ever heard but the problem i have is i can;t take any band seriously when they are all fantasy like that.
    That's just a ridiculous thing to say. It's like saying you can't take Mozart seriously because he wore a wig, tights and makeup. Would you prefer their songs if they were sung by Britney Spears and Justin T lookalikes? Ohhh, they're different so I can't take it serious. :rolleyes:

I just don't get that mentality. Can you take an actor in a film seriously even though you know he's only playing a role? I think the same applies to Dimmu.

I just don't get that mentality. Can you take an actor in a film seriously even though you know he's only playing a role? I think the same applies to Dimmu.

Depends in the actor and the film...much the same way as it depends on the music and the band. I like songs and lyrics about real life and stuff i can relate too ..although not always. I just can't take fantasy music seriously...but forgetting about that for the moment i dislike the music and the guys "singing" voice so i am not judging them purely on the fantasy thing.
    They aren;t a terrible band...slightly better then a bucket of cats. They just aren;t my cup of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

The Spire, very talented musician

www.myspace.com/gerhynes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

hyn-zie wrote:
    The Spire, very talented musician

www.myspace.com/gerhynes
    If you're gonna spam at least put a bit of effort into it.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    That's just a ridiculous thing to say. It's like saying you can't take Mozart seriously because he wore a wig, tights and makeup. Would you prefer their songs if they were sung by Britney Spears and Justin T lookalikes? Ohhh, they're different so I can't take it serious. :rolleyes:

Yea you know me very well i can't take anyone seriously if they are different. I did like Mozart until you informed me he wore a wig, tights and make up...now i think he music should be banned for all eternity like everyone's who dares to be different.
    I just don;t like Dimmu because i don;t like the music and the "singing". Maybe i'm getting old .....you call that music turn it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I just listened to some of Dimmu Borgir's songs. The actual music itself is quite good and I especially liked the theatrical element of it all. the "vocals" were pretty awful though and made me want to ravage my eardrums with flaming cotton buds.

As far as greatest bands go, since this is all down to personal opinion really, I'll say Radiohead or Pearl Jam.

Fine, if you want me to list an alternative then look earlier in the thread at the band I suggested that were the greatest right now - Kings of Leon. Or Interpol.

Interpol.

Utter ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Archimedes wrote:
    Fine, if you want me to list an alternative then look earlier in the thread at the band I suggested that were the greatest right now - Kings of Leon. Or Interpol.
    Lol.

Credibility = gone.

I'm starting to understand this whole "objectivity" thing now. I think we'll call it "Rozie's Law".

Any chance of someone making one of those Boards Card thingys?

"Played when a poster makes a claim in relation to music which is clearly ludicrous and objectively incorrect. The invalidity of this claim is supported by the legions of "real music fans" who use Boards."

Or actually, on the same note, there should be a card to be played whenever a thread discussing the "greatest band ever" is made:

"Played when a poster makes a thread in an attempt to compare bands/artists in terms of greatness, but which will inevitibley turn into opinionated drivel."

Anyone up for making 'em?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Well they are technically still together ..although yes they haven;t released an album in quite a while.There's just not another band around at the moment that excites me.And hopefully the pixies will release a new album...although thats a whole new thread.

I would say Arcade Fire but they are hardly making very similar music.

Just try out The National and Arcade Fire and come back to me. Arcade Fire have released two incredible albums that I have little doubt in saying are as good as anything the past decades have offered. The problem is that the best known rock groups right now are just ripping off The Pixies and The Smiths.

Orizio wrote:
    Just try out The National and Arcade Fire and come back to me. Arcade Fire have released two incredible albums that I have little doubt in saying are as good as anything the past decades have offered. The problem is that the best known rock groups right now are just ripping off The Pixies and The Smiths.

Cheers Orizio i do know the national and arcade fire and i like them both but couldn;t call either the greatest band in the world right now.
    I agree with you on bands ripping off the smiths and the pixies. One band i thought would be capable of reaching greatness was voxtrot but the debut album was a real let down.... i suppose they still have time.

Depends in the actor and the film...much the same way as it depends on the music and the band. I like songs and lyrics about real life and stuff i can relate too ..although not always. I just can't take fantasy music seriously...but forgetting about that for the moment i dislike the music and the guys "singing" voice so i am not judging them purely on the fantasy thing.
    They aren;t a terrible band...slightly better then a bucket of cats. They just aren;t my cup of meat.

Just because something is 'Fantasy' doesn't mean it can't have a real world meaning, or that it's unrelatable to. I find a lot of Fantasy can be allegorical in nature, and that is also true with Dimmu Borgir's music. Take their latest album, In Sorte Diaboli for example, which the entire album is a single storyline carried throughout the songs; that of a priest in the middle ages who renounces his faith because of the horrors he's witnessed. Supposely, it's a very personal story to guitarist and main lyricist of the band, Silenoz, that reflects his own childhood and personal awakenings.

I'm not saying that you should relate to it or anything, but just that 'Fantasy' doesn't mean it's not about real life.

But having said that, it's not all fantasy as such, previous to their latest album, I find their lyrical subject can be equally as relevant. Obviously, they're a very Satanic themed band, but I find this much in the Anton Levay sense of Satan as a figurehead or allegory and not as an actual diety or entity, and as such deals much with the notions of humans having nothing that seperate us from the rest of the animals. As such, from their lyrics:

We, who not deny the animal of our nature
    We, who yearn to preserve our liberation
    We, who face darkness in our hearts with a solemn fire
    We, who aspire to the truth and pursue it's strength

Or one of my favourite lyrics from the band: Good in nature, but evil by our own free will

As for the singing issue, I think the distorted style of vocals is something that takes time to get used to. Infact, I absolutely hated it at first, but I've grown to like it over time, especially considering the other styles of vocals that Dimmu use, which I think gives some incredible dynamics to the songs that a lot of bands don't have. Moreso, I think a lot of other bands who use similar vocal styles really lack a lot of the diction, definition and clarity that Dimmu's lead singer has, making lyrics incomprehensible at times, but I find he can be very understandable and clear.

I really think they're a band that takes time to get into, given the sheer musical complexity and depth, and as such it's not music that's about instant gratification, but takes a degree of effort from the listener that a lot of music doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Pearl Jam.

I would say they are one of the best of all time, not just right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Their last album was fairly boring and a bit generic though. Considering how much better their earlier stuff was, it's unjustified to say that they're the best band in the world right now, as it's like an admission that nothing of equal greatness to Ten or Vitalogy is being made by any band right now, which is simply untrue.

Advertisement