Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything you turned yourself off for life?

• 27-07-2007 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Isn't it funny how if a certain food makes you badly sick ONE time....it can put you off forever? well it has with me.... And i wanna know what yours are?

(APOLOGIES if you've had this already!)

Years ago in Scotland i had a bag of Cheesy Dorito's and they made me so sick, i dont know why. since then even looking at a pack makes me feel queasy. and the thing is...i LOVE cheese and anything Cheesy....i still eat Cheesy popcorn...but i just have a mental block with the dorito's.

then theres Aftershock but thats another thread altogether, hahaha.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

the smell of honey makes me want to be sick, BUT I don't know why. It's a total mystery. I can't smell it, let alone eat it. It must be something that happened when I was a kid, but I really don't know...

Then there's southern comfort, but as you said, that's another thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

big macs, tequila, aftershock, zambucca.

probably a good thing actually :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I can't eat or smell anything anything peach flavoured (sweets, lollipops, pot pourri etc) after a VERY bad night on the peach schnappes when I was about 16...... That's a good while ago now though so maybe I'll try again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Since my 21st ( a long time ago now) I haven't been able to smell the following:
    Bulmers, Aftershock, Tequila, Bacardi.

There was vomitting, lots of vomitting. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I saw chewing gum being made once, in a fairly run down Scottish factory.
    The filth was enough to put me off it for life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Beetroot, my sister made me try some when I was about 7 or 8 and makes me sick even looking at it now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Wow weird.

Peach flavoured anything (peaches on their own are okay). Reason: getting hammered at too young on peach schnappes.

Beetroot. Reason: Beetroot tastes like shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

raisins and coconut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Gratinated mushrooms - I think a certain packet mix is used in a few restaurants. I got the winter vomiting virus and the last thing I had eaten was the mushrooms... now everytime I smell that mix they use - YUK! Bleaugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

plane food...

when younger there was about 13hours of straight gameboy colour playing during the flight, the only thing i had eaten was plane food, well it came right up when we landed..

_always_ happens now (only on long flights.. and its ALWAYS when we land) unless i take meds :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Fish.

When i was a kid i choked on a bone from one and had to get my mum to make me get sick to get it out...I feel like retching even just looking at fish now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

plane food...

when younger there was about 13hours of straight gameboy colour playing during the flight, the only thing i had eaten was plane food, well it came right up when we landed..

_always_ happens now (only on long flights.. and its ALWAYS when we land) unless i take meds :(

Me too. I ate everything that day and was very full after. For some reason, straight after breakfast the plane went into landing. The movement made me vomit and now I can't stand plane food anymore.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,322 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

watna wrote:
    I can't eat or smell anything anything peach flavoured (sweets, lollipops, pot pourri etc) after a VERY bad night on the peach schnappes

Another victim of peach schnapps here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

18th Birthday. Got 2 weeks wages from my Boss at the time, which would have amounted to about 230 Irish Pounds. Took all the money, and went into Gorbys, spent the night drinking about 12 pints of Murphys, in and around 10 whiskeys, and a few Smirnoff Mules (Who remembers those eh?). Everything got blurry after that. I do remember being starving about 1am, so I went to the bar in the club, and asked if they had any food, you know ... chocolate, or crisps. They said all they had were roasted peanuts. So I asked for 10 packets of peanuts, hid away in the corner of the Club and polished them all off. I remember needing to pee badly, so I went into the Mens room, and had to put both my hands against the wall because the room was spinning so fast.

Decided it was time to call it a night, and don't remember how I got home. I do remember stripping balls naked, and jumping into bed, face down, and that's about all I remember. So I woke up the next morning, dying sick, and couldn't figure out what the smell was.

As it turns out, most of the room was covered in a stale Murphys/Jack Daniels/Peanut combination, the curtains, the floor, and even my shoes were filled up with the stuff. I tried getting out of bed, and because I've a hairy chest, the puke had dried into my chest, and made the quilt stick, so pulling the quilt off was like waxing, and it wasn't just the chest hairs it was stuck to, if you get my drift. Painful! After that, I decide I'd get up, put on some socks and boxers, grab a shower, and prepare to clean up. Opened up the sock drawer, and it was full to the brim of puke. At some point in the night I must have known I was going to get sick, and that was the best option, I'd even closed it after I'd done the deed. Try explaining that one to the folks at home!

Couldn't stand the smell, or sight of Stout since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Update: I am home extremely sick at the moment with severe gastroenteritis. i thought I was going to die. The last thing I ate was pasta carbonara when I went out for lunch on Thursday. I will NEVER be eating that again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

olaola wrote:
    Gratinated mushrooms - I think a certain packet mix is used in a few restaurants. I got the winter vomiting virus and the last thing I had eaten was the mushrooms... now everytime I smell that mix they use - YUK! Bleaugh.

Snap!
    The day I came down with the Winter Vomiting Bug I had had a takeaway bacon sandwich for breakfast. The thoughts of it are making me queasy as I type. Luckily it was that crappy American-style bacon, so I can still eat the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lasagne.

I was about seven or eight, and my mother had made a lasagne for dinner. Later that night I was sick all over the house. I can still smell the lumps of horrible pasta.

I haven't touched lasagne since, twenty years ago now. hate even the sight of the stuff.

In fact, I won't eat ANY pasta because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

ned78 wrote:
    18th Birthday. . . .

Jesus Ned that story was far too grim, with hideous detail throughout.

I actually feel ill just thinking of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

seansouth wrote:
    Lasagne.

I was about seven or eight, and my mother had made a lasagne for dinner. Later that night I was sick all over the house. I can still smell the lumps of horrible pasta.

I haven't touched lasagne since, twenty years ago now. hate even the sight of the stuff.

In fact, I won't eat ANY pasta because of this.
    Oh NO!! i couldnt handle being turned off Pasta!! i practically live on it!!
    Lasagne has an awful habit of Repeating anyway i think which can be quite off-putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

zaph wrote:
    Another victim of peach schnapps here.

Is this the thread where we go to air our grievances about peach schnapps? If so, same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭deisemum

Ratatouile (sp?) I associate it with the first day I experienced morning sickness over 12 years ago and still cringe when I see the stuff even though I used to love it. yuk God I feel queasy now

Can't stand raspberries, even the smell of them turns my stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Mushrooms, Scrumpy Jacks Cider, Red Aftershock thank u very much £1.50 shots in the palace

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eefy

A friend brought back some gorgeous pecorino cheese from Italy for me a couple of years ago,
    It was the last thing I ate with sundried tomato crackers and a bottle of wine before I got the winter vomiting bug.

Funny thing is I haven't been turned off wine!
    only pecorino cheese and sundried tomato crackers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

jebuz wrote:
    Mushrooms, Scrumpy Jacks Cider, Red Aftershock thank u very much £1.50 shots in the palace
    Oh god....Aftershock. The only time ive ever been sick after a night out i had loads of them. even the smell of it now makes me Gag.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement