Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car reverse clocked???

Options
  • 27-07-2007 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

My Dad just bought a '04 Mondeo. The speedo is in mph....just wondering can somebody confirm that the odometer is also in miles and not kilometres?

I know it might seem like a silly question, but when he viewed the car initially it had 44,000 miles(confirmed also by the ad on carzone) yet when he collected it today it now has 16,000 more miles on it :confused:
    It's not even as if he confused the odometer for being in kilometres because 44,000miles = 70,811kms, i.e. nowhere close to the 60k it is now indicating

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

different car? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Tazzle wrote:
    different car? :confused:
    That's all I can think of for the moment. The picture on carzone shows the car with colour-coded handles but the car we looked at has black handles. I rang my Dad and he said they are black which would imply that it is the car we looked at. I think the picture on carzone might just be a library one(the wheel trims on the carzone pic are also different from that of the one we looked at/he bought.

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that the dealer clocked the car, we looked at it when it was clocked and then put it back to the proper mileage when my Dad collected it, fearing he might get caught?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It is not what is advertised so he should bring it back tout de suite and demand a refund and never darken that cowboy's door again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Mondeo Zetec has colour coded door handles, alloy wheels and electric windows front + back.

The Mondeo LX has black door handles and plastic wheel trims.

It is not unusual for dealers to post a library picture of a similar type car. Do you still have the link to the advert, you might be able to check the reg number or model type from the photo.

bazz26 wrote:
    The Mondeo Zetec has colour coded door handles, alloy wheels and electric windows front + back.

The Mondeo LX has black door handles and plastic wheel trims.

It is not unusual for dealers to post a library picture of a similar type car. Do you still have the link to the advert, you might be able to check the reg number or model type from the photo.
    The picture in the ad has colour-coded door handles (which would imply Zetec) but LX wheel trims. I know it is not a picture of the car my Dad bought so will he have any come-back? He bought it from a small garage and there was only one LX Mondeo for sale at the time.

Back to the original question, does an '04 Mondeo have a mile or kilometer odometer???? I'm gona go to my local Ford dealer today to confirm either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

fletch wrote:

Back to the original question, does an '04 Mondeo have a mile or kilometer odometer???? I'm gona go to my local Ford dealer today to confirm either way.

The Kmph odometer would have came in in '05 along with the change over.
    I remember talking to a honda dealer in Autumn '04 who told me all new cars he was getting in were in mph until aprox Oct/Nov, when they then got them in Kmph for the change over. Think he also mentioned smething about mph cars getting changed over to Kmph free if bought late in winter.
    But my guess is the '04 mondeo odometer should be in mph.

Can my Dad hand the car back as it is not as described in the ad? If so, what is the particular law/act which enables him to do this? Consumer Information Act 1978???

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The car is not the one advertised, of course he can bring it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Bought as 44k, has 60k. Should be grounds to return it, unless any paperwork he signed has 60k written on it.

Advertisement