Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Breakdown Kits

Options
  • 27-07-2007 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I can get a good breakdown kit at a reasonable price. I have seen kits in a few places but they always seem to be missing a thing or two like a Hi-Vis jacket or tow rope etc. Also what would people recomend be in a good breakdown kit?

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Dave, you might be better collecting stuff yourself. From what ive seen in various motor factors, they seem, as you say yourself, to not be a full kit.
    Hi-vis are only E3 or so for the vest type, a decent set of jump leads, a couple of spanners/screwdrivers, spare set of allbulbs, de-icer and scraper, a box of surgical gloves are very handy to prevent getting yourself destroyed changing a wheel, maybe an old towel or similar, and some first aid supplies.

Am i right in saying tow ropes have been outlawed, and that you must now use only a rigid tow-bar?
    I got one meself from Lidl a while back for around E15-20. Its a 3 piece jobby that clicks together, and have used it without any trouble (ahh, the joys of having a 35y/o motor :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Have a look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055035632&referrerid=&highlight=breakdown+kits

I would compile my own kit as the stuff you get in those off-the-shelf kits are usually of poor quality.
    Don't forget:
    - fire extinguisher
    - hand wipes like "baby wet ones"
    - warning triangle
    - torch, a good one
    - extendable wheel brace
    - Good quality Jump leads, the cheap ones (in the kits) are rubbish
    - cable ties & string

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

The two most used tools in any mechanics box:

Vise grips
    Hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

maidhc wrote:

Vise grips
    Hammer

Or to save weight just use the vice grips as a hammer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Cheers for the feedback guys - much appreciated. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Don't forget your WD-40 for those hard-to-open wheel nuts!!!

OT; Aldi have "European driving kits" for sale for about a fiver; "ESSENTIAL" IRL sticker, some other piece of stuff, and a boxed full set of bulbs. I bought one for the bulbs alone; even if they're low quality, they'll get you out of a jam, and a fitted box for them is handy even if you want to replace them with decent quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

maidhc wrote:

Vise grips
    Hammer

vise grips rock!!!!

Forgot to add a few things:

- Can of Tyreweld
    - Wheel chock (little device that prevents the car from rolling when jacked up)
    - Rain Jacket (It's always raining when you break down)
    - Duck Tape (strong tape to hold on or hold down something in case of damage)
    - Phone charger (Cigarette lighter type)
    - Fuel can (plastic type)

(Is your boot full yet?)

Forgot to add a few things:

- Can of Tyreweld
    - Wheel chock (little device that prevents the car from rolling when jacked up)
    - Rain Jacket (It's always raining when you break down)
    - Duck Tape (strong tape to hold on or hold down something in case of damage)
    - Phone charger (Cigarette lighter type)
    - Fuel can (plastic type)

(Is your boot full yet?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Haha yep it is. I went to close the boot my car exploded like in the TV add :-P

Does anyone know where I can get a hold of a heavy duty canvas hold-all for storing all these bits-n-bobs. I had looked at buying in an army surplus mechanics canvas bag from the states but shipping is rediculously expensive (like 5times the price of the item). A bag is preffereable as its squisable and I have a small boot.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote:

Vise grips
    Hammer

I was thinking 1. mobile phone and 2. AA or RAC membership card. :D

Advertisement