Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you see the usefulness in disproving God's existence?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

JimiTime wrote:
    So you would be a vegan then? U would disagree with keeping animals as slaves? Actually, would that make you a fruitarian? If all life is the same, then even the plants are our equals?
    A lot of people try to life as close as possible to that lifestyle and try to be as good as they can be.
    They obviousy don't become pure fruitarians because that is not healthy and you would well, die.
    My girlfriend is a leve 7 vegan, I'm still a 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

JimiTime wrote:
    So you would be a vegan then? U would disagree with keeping animals as slaves? Actually, would that make you a fruitarian? If all life is the same, then even the plants are our equals?

I certainly disagree with 'keeping animals as slaves' as you put it. And I was vegan at one time, although not strict any more. But that is all irrelevant. Cats eat mice. Such interdependence is part of the natural order. Is every carnivore entitled to "a higher place in the world than herbivores, as if they are divine beings"? Of course not. We, like they, are just animals, dependent on the resources of the natural world for our survival. Christianity attempts to elevate us above this status into a position of dominion.

You can eat something without being superior to it. You don't need religion to figure that out, you just need to be hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

A lot of people try to life as close as possible to that lifestyle and try to be as good as they can be.
    They obviousy don't become pure fruitarians because that is not healthy and you would well, die.
    My girlfriend is a leve 7 vegan, I'm still a 6.

At what point do you stop eating things that cast a shadow?

I only ask because my girlfriend recently became a vegan and is considering on only eating the things the fall off plants.

I swear she is slowly metamorphosising into a buddhist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

jhegarty wrote:
    the church is usually into feeding the poor, does that mean that would stop too if you could disprove God ?

Maybe it would stop the Church from feeding the poor. But it wouldn't stop the governments or charitable organisations. Where does the Church get it's money from. People don't donate because they believe in God. They donate because they want to help other people.

Generally though I'd say the Church isn't into feeding the poor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

At what point do you stop eating things that cast a shadow?

I only ask because my girlfriend recently became a vegan and is considering on only eating the things the fall off plants.

I swear she is slowly metamorphosising into a buddhist.
    That is a level seven my dear chap. :)
    Nearly everybody I chose to be good friends with growing up has become vegetarian/vegan at this stage(early 20's, about a dozen of us), guess I pick out the same trait in people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Tar, what are these "levels of veganism"? I didn't realize it was a competitive sport ;)

rockbeer wrote:
    Tar, what are these "levels of veganism"? I didn't realize it was a competitive sport ;)
    It's a joke from the simpsons about a "level five vegan."

This tree hugger hippie boy Lisa had a crush on. She told him she was vegetarian, and he scoffed. She says, "Well, I was thinking of going vegan..." And he says, "I'm a level five vegan, I don't eat anything that casts a shadow". :)

Level 1: Doesn't eat eggs, dairy, or meat.
    Level 2: Doesn't eat those products, even if they are in things.
    Level 3: See above, but avoids insects and their products.
    Level 4: Doesn't use any animal products.
    Level 5: Grows all own food, only eats things that do not cast a shadow.
    Level 6: Doesn't need food; lives in the forest to avoid pollution; can levitate.
    ;)

That is a level seven my dear chap. :)
    Nearly everybody I chose to be good friends with growing up has become vegetarian/vegan at this stage(early 20's, about a dozen of us), guess I pick out the same trait in people.

Good grief, is there a cure?
    ;)

Some people regard my penis as meat, jokes are told; people are cured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Whoa lads, this thread is getting off topic. It might be locked!

• Advertisement

Some people regard my penis as meat, jokes are told; people are cured.

ooooooh I knew it could be long before someone made that joke!

... heh-heh "long"

Advertisement