Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

Options
  • 27-07-2007 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Have to say, Shantaram is one of the best books Ive ever read. I recommend it to everyone. Not even finished it, but counting down the minutes before I can get home to read the final 100 pages. Read it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

lynners wrote: »
    Have to say, Shantaram is one of the best books Ive ever read. I recommend it to everyone. Not even finished it, but counting down the minutes before I can get home to read the final 100 pages. Read it.

Sorry for dragging up an old post. I'm about 200 pages into this (Its 900 pages) and so far, its excellent. I cant put it down. Great stuff! Its being made into a movie with Johnny Depp playing the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Thought yer man was pretty annoying at times. Very enjoyable read nonetheless.
    Is there any sign of the sequel?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

fantastic book... no sign of the sequel yet and production on the movie's been halted because of the writer's strike in hollywood... boo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Really great book, read it on the train to Mumbai. Thought it would last me the holiday but it was finished in days despite its prodigious size.

Some parts seemed a little too far fetched, and it ruined the "this really happened" aspect for me a little.

It was a very happy coincidence that my hotel in Mumbai ended up being literally beside the bar they always meet in at the start, its name has escaped me. The bar itself was a little disappointing, being basically just A.N. Other tourist bar and restaurant, I don't know what I was expecting though, mafioso gun fights maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

the bar they meet in at the start was Leopold's :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bought this book Friday after reading this thread.

Living up to it's promise so far. After a few recent literary misses, this seems just what I was looking for. Will take me a while though - I don't get as much time to read as I'd like. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Read it about 12 months ago. Fantastic book,

If you haven't finsished it yet, stop reading now.....

Does the stuff in Afghanistan seem a little far out ther in the plausibility stakes ??? I mean, if this is all true, Greg Roberts has met some of the higher echelon leaders of the Mujaheddin now known as Al Qaeda, Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against them, or him, but This would make him one of the most closely placed writers to these people. If that is the case, surely he would have made more of an effort to explain their philosphies and formative
    experiences ???

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

It's all a bit unclear as to what exactly is true and what's not.
    It was actually published as a novel as opposed to an autobiography so I suspect there's a lot of exaggeration going on.

@ AngryHippie

put
    [/ spoiler] (without the space between / and 's') around spoiling text to grey it out so its invisibles to the innocents, you hightlight the grey text to read it.

like this:
    see?

Cheers Buddy,
    Always wondered how to do that......

Still getting the hang of this dohickey, sorry if I ****ed a good book, but I didn't give much away.

• Advertisement

And the Karmic Circle is complete

That was close, almost read the spoiler! I'm about 400 pages in at the moment and really liking it. The more I read, the less I believe though. It reads more like a novel than a biography...which is fine by me.

I would love to see pictures of some of the people in the book. Prabaker & Karla...anyone know of any ?

[edit] Just found an interview with him. Kinda disappointing.

Q. Which are the facts in the book and what is the fictional part?

A. A general rule of the thumb is that the events in the book are real; but they have been shuffled in the narrative and the characters are fictional. Praebakar and Karla are also fictional characters.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

read it about a year ago. loved it, was a little far fetched by times for me to believe the actually happened blurb but overall a fantastic read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Roberts is clearly a pathetic junkie who was given a cushy number in australia and absconded from work release.

The whole thing is crap. if you like this book you are stupid.

NONE OF IT HAPPENED

Roberts is a junkie fanasist

MM

Muppets_-_Animal.gif

lol. Never an avatar more apt.

Respectively Yours,
    Stupid.

Roberts is clearly a pathetic junkie who was given a cushy number in australia and absconded from work release.

The whole thing is crap. if you like this book you are stupid.

NONE OF IT HAPPENED

Roberts is a junkie fanasist

MM
    LOL (at, not with you).

Just finished the book today, great read. It doesn't really matter what is true and what isn't, it works just as well as a novel and a work of fiction as it does a biography.

Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭phaze

Heard an interview with Roberts about 3 years ago and, if he is to be believed, his life before the book begins was just as exciting! Loved the book - not the best written but the story is facinating and the characters suck you in. I didn't know there was a sequel due but I'm now looking forward to it! :D

phaze wrote: »
    Heard an interview with Roberts about 3 years ago and, if he is to be believed, his life before the book begins was just as exciting! Loved the book - not the best written but the story is facinating and the characters suck you in. I didn't know there was a sequel due but I'm now looking forward to it! :D

You didn't think it was well written ?

No, it took me a long time to get into it, I just didn't take to his style of writing. Can't give specifics, it was too long ago that I read it but as I said it was the story being told rather than the way in which it was told that held my attention. That still hasn't stopped me from passing my copy onto several friends! It's one book I readily recommend to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SpartanKiller

cool,my gf got me this for xmas,cant wait to read it,currently halfway through Stalingrad by Antony Beevor,was in india recently so hopefully should add to picture

Shantaram so made we want to experience India - no doubt you will enjoy it immensely!

Finally finished the book!

I care not what parts were true and what were fiction - that book deserves every good word said about it. An amazing piece of writing.

I'm off to pimp it to people who haven't read it. :D

Started it a while ago and nearly finished now. When I found out that a lot of it was actually made up I was disappointed as the success of the book is largely built on the fact that it's supposed to be the story of his life.
    Then I looked into the author and stuff that he has said and to be honest he comes across as very annoying.
    Finally there is far too much existentialist rambling going on in the book for my liking - the author tries to introduce aspects of different religions and philisophies in a haphazard pick-and-mix type way which to me fails horribly. So sad to say - not impressed at all despite some decent parts.

glasso wrote: »
    Then I looked into the author and stuff that he has said and to be honest he comes across as very annoying.
    It definitely seems that celebrity has gone to his head somewhat, reading interviews with him.

I decided from the outset to read the book as fiction though, so what happened or not in reality didn't bother me. I also decided not to read about the author before I finished the book - which in hindsight seems to have been the right thing to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Just finished it, great read but very far fetched and the author really loves himself, despite his continual whining about how much he dislikes himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Tusky wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old post. I'm about 200 pages into this (Its 900 pages) and so far, its excellent. I cant put it down. Great stuff! Its being made into a movie with Johnny Depp playing the lead.
    yeah that film is taking absolutely ages to complete. Read that book two or three years. For the most part a great read but would have taken maybe 100 to 150 pages off it. Will make a point of going to see it when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

this book could easily have been about 300 pages shorter, way too much shite along the lines of ...... i loved him as a father, yet felt betrayed, but still i loved him........ and also everyone he ever had a conversation with was speaking on a deep philosophical level. bollox to that. he comes across as an annoying cunt too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

longshanks wrote: »
    this book could easily have been about 300 pages shorter, way too much shite along the lines of ...... i loved him as a father, yet felt betrayed, but still i loved him........ and also everyone he ever had a conversation with was speaking on a deep philosophical level. bollox to that. he comes across as an annoying cunt too.
    yeah he gives motivational speeches AFAIK. very full of himself by the looks of it. But a good tale for the most part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I saw him being interviewed before the book came out around 2000 or 2001. I could not believe the TV station (something like BBC World) were giving him airtime.

I know a friend that bought the book in 2003 at Dublin Airport as Holiday reading. He has not shut up about that book since," you don't understand this book could change your life!".

Advertisement