Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car checks before Driving test

Options
  • 27-07-2007 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

What checks do I have to make of my car before the test?

Its taxed, insured etc but will the examiner check anything else than Im missing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

NCT, check all lights work.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

They'll get you to show them the oil and water etc so make sure you know where all that stuff is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

What are the under bonnet checks.. oil, water, brake fluid, ...anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Power steering, windscreen washer.

Does the examiner actually check all that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what they'll do is they'll walk you out to your car, and tell you to pop the hood.

they expect you to show them where the power steering is, brake fluid goes, window washer, oil, water can't think of anything else.

they'll they get you to turn on the ignition and check that the lights of the car are working asking you to show them your brake lights and turn signals, some of them ask you to put on your dipped headlights but this depends on weather of the mood of the instructor.

if everything is in order he'll get into the car and he'll buckle up. then you take him on a 20 minute drive and try not to frighten the **** out of him.

Thanks Cremo.. will get the drivers manual out then so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I had my test last week - Under the bonnet I was told to know how to check and fill : oil, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid and washer fluid. I was asked oil, brake fluid and washer fluid. Also know how to check tires, indicators, headlights and brake lights - i wasn't asked these. Inside I think I was asked rear demister, front demister and where the hazard lights were.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh it's all basic stuff really, that everyone should know before even turning a key in a car.

you'd be amazed at the amount of people (both sexes) that don't know how to change the oil in a car that are driving around with full licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

lol its true - somebody I know doesn't know how to put water into the washer - they pour water out the sunroof! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

tk123 wrote:
    lol its true - somebody I know doesn't know how to put water into the washer - they pour water out the sunroof! :D

They stop the car first - Right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cremo wrote:
    you'd be amazed at the amount of people (both sexes) that don't know how to change the oil in a car
    The requirement for the test is to know how to check the oil level - not how to change the oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Power steering,.
    they expect you to show them where the power steering is,

I don't have power steering. Let's hope I'm not asked that particular question :)

Advertisement