Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started as a screenwriter

• 27-07-2007 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

For the longest time I have wanted to get into the film industry. I'm more interested in screenwriting as opposed to directing. So far I have done a couple of filmbase courses. Which I really enjoyed and they helped me a lot with any issues I needed to iron out. But what now? I've read the stickies about starting from the ground up within production houses. But is that more for people that want to get into the more technical side of things and production/direction?

I'm under no delusions about having a knock out script sitting on my laptop or anything. I'm quite happy to work and work on my stuff to get it right. But what I really want to know is what to do with it when it's done. In an ideal world I would get comissioned for a drama series. Again, dream job, not something I would be able to walk into at the moment.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Cant really help you alot cause I aint a scriptwriter (director/editor) But a good early starting position is to get your scripts beyond simply writing. Which means you need to canvass them to independent filmmakers around here and see if anyone wants to work with you in making it into a film or other production. Also there are filmmakers who have a story, but need someone with scriptwriting talents to flesh it out. Or in my recent case, needed a script writer to clean up a script and make it readable.

That way you can start putting a C.V/portfolio together showing your work can translate to screen well as well as being capable of making a script out of material given to you. While also having it that filmmakers remember you and might call on you for scripting work later on.

I warn you early on it can be a pain, especially if the people you are working with are young cause you will find alot of people early on want to direct stuff they wrote themselves and are painfully overprotective of their own creative genius and you might be forced to make the script into a short film yourself to just have it actually made, which honestly isnt a big help if your not planning on being a film director yourself.

I dont know whats happening but I do know the other moderator here is looking out for short story scripts for a project, but I think there are a few restrictions on content and I dont know if he's already filled his quota or not and I rather not speak for him, but he should be back online sometime next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

There are many options open to wirters from funding schemes to contacting production companies. I also thik RTE have an open submissions for new drama. I don't know the ins and outs of it though.

If you try over at FilmmakersNetwork.ie someone might be able to answer more thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Devinho

www.wordplayer.com (ignore the forum there, except for the Hall of Fame, go straight for the columns).

Advertisement