Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

recommend me good set of Headphones

• 27-07-2007 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

so many to choose from , prefer to get from bricks and mortor shop if possible, wired or wirekess , im thinking for my needs wireless is best but theres the oprion of fm and infra red, i have used the fm ones b4 and found them average at best great if u sit very still though.

These will be mainly used for music from pc, movies form pc and xbox 360.
    I dont want to spend a small fortune but dont want sh**e sound either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Sennheiser generally do good stuff (it's many years since I've bought headphones though so I can't quote you model numbers...) and I think bigger music shops like Virgin and the big HMVs will sell them. Wireless-wise, FM ones shouldn't be affected by your movement, it either sounds like you were using infrared ones or they were dodgy. Go for FM over infrared...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Personally I wouldn't go with wireless. I have found in the past with various pieces of wireless kit that the performance is never all it's cracked up to be. My trusty headphones died a couple of weeks ago after about seven years solid service. I took the plunge and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD280s from Komplett and I am frankly delighted with them so far. The clarity and quality of sound from them is fantastic. I use them at home for making music and they really help when setting bass levels correctly. I have a 5:1 speaker setup with a sub-woofer which always used to make me think the bass was set too high when in reality it was just being inflated by the sub-woofer.

They're comfortable to have on your head for long periods of time and seem very solidly built. I use them a lot at work whenever I need to concentrate while people are on the phone or talking near me etc. Due to their design, they block out a lot of noise even if you have nothing playing or music playing very quietly which is great.

The only downside is the price. You've mentioned that you don't want to spend a fortune. These headphones will set you back €107 (price from Komplett link above). For what it's worth (pardon the pun) I am very happy with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have a pair of hd280s as well, and when i got them , they blew me away. They're excellent headphones, sealed, so no extrnal noise gets in, and very detailed..

however...

i've since gotten a pair of Shure e3g's. These blow the senns out of the water. much much better. also the senns are huge, true studio cans, and the shures are tiny in ear phones, they are m,uch better though, more detailed, and the bass is incredible

mossym wrote:
    the senns are huge, true studio cans
    I probably should have mentioned that. They are quite big! Wear them while walking down the street and leave those annoying beggars/chuggers in no doubt that you won't be able to hear them :)
    mossym wrote:
    the shures are tiny in ear phones, they are m,uch better though, more detailed, and the bass is incredible
    When I see in-ear phones I always think of the rubbish that gets packaged with your average MP3 player. I've never used a pair that could compare with a decent set of the over-the-head type. Mind you, those E3G's do look quite interesting! What do you mean by "more detailed"?

The point about the bass is also worth consideration. I find the HD-280s give an excellent overall representation of how something is meant to sound without overly emphasising the bass frequencies. This is fine for hearing subtleties in an audio CD but might be a little lacking for gaming. I don't know for sure as I've not actually used these headphones for console gaming yet. One slight negative I have with the HD-280s is that the cable is listed as 3 metres long. Unfortunately it's twisted like a telephone cord so it feels a lot shorter. This is fine if your using them with a computer or whatever that's beside you but a bit crap if you're trying to use them with a television that's across the other side of the room.

malice_ wrote:

When I see in-ear phones I always think of the rubbish that gets packaged with your average MP3 player. I've never used a pair that could compare with a decent set of the over-the-head type. Mind you, those E3G's do look quite interesting! What do you mean by "more detailed"?

some tracks i have, you can hear more with the shures, frets been drawn across strings, single notes become a lot clearer. For example, if you have a strong bass line on a song, with the shures you can hear other instruments a lot clearer. the hd280s are detailed, as a studio can they have to be, the shures are just mroe so
    malice_ wrote:
    The point about the bass is also worth consideration. I find the HD-280s give an excellent overall representation of how something is meant to sound without overly emphasising the bass frequencies. This is fine for hearing subtleties in an audio CD but might be a little lacking for gaming. I don't know for sure as I've not actually used these headphones for console gaming yet. One slight negative I have with the HD-280s is that the cable is listed as 3 metres long. Unfortunately it's twisted like a telephone cord so it feels a lot shorter. This is fine if your using them with a computer or whatever that's beside you but a bit crap if you're trying to use them with a television that's across the other side of the room.

the bass on the hd280's is fine, it jsut sounds bloated, i didn't think that however till i used the shures. the shures has a tighter punchier bass. i've never used either headphone for anything but music, but i' take the shures hands down over the senns anyday. That said i still use both

• Advertisement

That's fair enough. I'm very curious about the Shure's. I might have to pick up a pair myself :) What length of cable comes with them and is it curled up? Like I said before, that's the one thing that's annoying about the HD-280s.

malice_ wrote:
    That's fair enough. I'm very curious about the Shure's. I might have to pick up a pair myself :) What length of cable comes with them and is it curled up? Like I said before, that's the one thing that's annoying about the HD-280s.

around 1M of straight cable

Advertisement