Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Building Under Construction Question

Options
  • 27-07-2007 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Hi all im just wondering about that building being constructed at the side of the Bridge going over the Corrib and Dyke rd, ive heard that it is going to be a 50m Olympic Swimming pool is this so? Hope so any constructive replies welcome:)

Regards,

David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

What I heard was that they were going to put a gym in with a hall and some squash courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i dont know what size it'll be, but there'll defo be a pool, when i heard of the work that was going to be built i thought it was great and that the college loves us only to read an article in the english times about how irelands universities are spending a fortune trying to lure training athletes for the london olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Yes it's going to be a 50m pool, available for all present students & Alumni members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Are you sure it's a 50m pool, the original plans were for a 25m one.

Unless they changed the plans after getting the students to vote on an increase in payments...which sounds highly likely now doesn't it?! Either way I can't wait!!!

• Advertisement

When I voted for the increase in payments, it was a 25m pool, that was back in 2005 (iirc?) has it changed since then? i remember discussing it with my mates and we were all pretty amazed, and disappointed, that the pool was going to be so short. I hope it's been changed, but I haven't seen any notice that it has.

Let's just put it down to 25m then...that's an awful shame really isn't it?! Ah as long as you're an Alumni member you'll be in there swimming with me! Weird or what?!

Nuts, I was hoping they'd changed it since then. Such a big project, a 50m pool would be a great addition to both the college and the city.

I've recently started using the 50m in UL, makes a huge difference to training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Damn i wanted a 50M pool and it should be open to the public just like crunch. I go 6 days a week without fail to Leisure land for the 25M pool and its getting really annoying now with all the old folks doing their breast stroke in the fast lane when they know damn well that sh*t is only for the slow lane aarrgghhh!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Should it f*ck be open to the public. It should be for staff, students, and should be free for staff and students, and cheap for alumni for the amount of years they were in college paying fees which helped to build it. It should be open for public use in the same way Lecture halls and computer suites should be for public use.

That said, I know it will be open to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Fine but only to the Public who are there to seriously train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

It's defo 25M I pass it every day on the way in. Also planned for inclusion is a way bigger gym that crunch some basketball and squash courts, bigger locker rooms, sauna etc.

It'll prob be way more expensive fro public to join than for students + staff, don't know bout alumni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

wet-paint wrote:
    Should it f*ck be open to the public. It should be for staff, students, and should be free for staff and students, and cheap for alumni for the amount of years they were in college paying fees which helped to build it. It should be open for public use in the same way Lecture halls and computer suites should be for public use.

That said, I know it will be open to the public.

Open to the public, and probably used to stage events that further reduce the amount of time students get in it. Much, er, like the last student building they got students to pay for.

[/cynic]

Advertisement