Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DADEAE Tuning on guitar

Options
  • 27-07-2007 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

I've been meaning to get to grips with playing guitar to accompany trad music, so I picked up a book in Waltons.
    The guy advises using DADEAE tuning rather then standard, drop D or DADGAD.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this tuning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

Whats the name of the book out of curiosity ?

used double dropped D a few times both Es dropped to D

The main principle of the dropped D in trad though is to provide a Drone to maybe the fiddle or a flute playing the lead

The tuning that is mentioned may make it easier to finger a series of chords in a progression to facilitate learning the tune rather than struggling with chord changes

Went to some of the Master Classes at the World Fleadh last year in Ballybunion
    Would recommend going to one of them in Portlaoise this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Master classes sound well intimidating :p

The book is "Traditional Irish Guitar" by Paul De Grae. I haven't gotten down to actually playing anything in DADEAE, but the theory behind it sounds pretty sound :D

I don't think it's about ease of playing but more to do with sympathetic resonance with the D doing it's drone thang etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jeromesheerin

I play DADGAD and Also standard tuning

If you can play standard tuning and understand the concepts,
    DAD is very easy pick up

I only play it for backing Irish music, thats what it is best suited for

My advice Buy a sliding capo, you will need it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Ah but this "new" tuning is apparently to do away with the sliding of the capo etc.

My current capo isn't a fan of sliding :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mad Hare

Hi Ya Frankiestylee,
    I use Dadgad as a primier tuning and use standard for some songs the trick with dadgad is learning different chords shapes so the use of a capo is less.
    The drone of the dadgad even through a song can be very pleasing to the ears. I'll try this tuning Dadeae and see it sounds very similar to a friend of mines tuning on the baz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dublingirly

Hi jeromesheerin,

you metioned to someone above to purchase a sliding capo to help with tuning. My brother has asked me to get him one for Christmas..however, I have been to Waltons on Grafton St. on Parnell Square, Music Maker and four other music shops in Dublin city centre and most of the employees have never heard of them! Is there anywhere in Dublin City that you know of, or that anyone knows of, that I could get one?? Im desperate at this stage!!!

Thanks in advance :)
    dublingirly

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Hi jeromesheerin,

you metioned to someone above to purchase a sliding capo to help with tuning. My brother has asked me to get him one for Christmas..however, I have been to Waltons on Grafton St. on Parnell Square, Music Maker and four other music shops in Dublin city centre and most of the employees have never heard of them! Is there anywhere in Dublin City that you know of, or that anyone knows of, that I could get one?? Im desperate at this stage!!!

Thanks in advance :)
    dublingirly

There's two sliding capos that we know of. The Glider and the Quick draw. The Glider runs on a wheel type design. They are a bit clunky but do the job. The Quick draws are an interesting design as they stay on your Guitar permanently once fitted. You just pop them over the nut when not in use. The only thing we have found with the Quick draws is they don't work on every type of Guitar. In my experience big jumbo Gibson style Guitars with chunky necks seem to cause the Quick draw a bit of bother. They also ware out after a while as they seem to stretch. However, if they work on your Guitar they are an excellent sliding capo.

If anyone knows of other sliding Capos please let me know.

Advertisement