Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TNG Question

• 28-07-2007 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

I was watching a episode that was mid season 4 and it was the episode where the phionex attacks cardassian ships and obrian and the other captain sing that song that was banned from being aired on sky 1 or bbc1 whatever, anyway

they said that there has only been a peace treaty for one year so come in the first 3 seasons of tng there wasent a single battle with the cardassians or even mention of them even tho the federattion was at war with them and there flag ship was not even involved in the fight?

or did i just miss a few early episodes of tng... which is unlikely

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

That the episode with Dukat in it but not playing the part of Dukat? I always thought that Cardassian thing wasn't really a war as much of an annoying situation. That's why when the treaty was signed, Starfleet was happy enough to just dismiss the whole thing, and that's what pissed off the Maquais so much. If it was a bigger deal the Maquais wouldn't be needed. Could be totally off on that though. There is the thing about O'Brien fighting them and never liking them after it. But he was on the Enterprise from the start. Maybe there was a war before that, and it faded out into minor skirmishes until the treaty was signed. I think I may be rambling at this point. More beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I'd imagen to the federation it was just a minor war with a minor race on the far boarder of federation space over some underdeveloped colonys no one really cared about so no need for the flagship to be pissing around there also remember the federation is vast 8,000 light years in size not every ship would be in range of the conflict so the fighting was more than likely confinded to what ever fleet and resources the federation had in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Thelikefaneire

It was a confined regional war, only ships in that area where involved. O'brien served in that war and witness atrocities and developed a hatred of the cardassians that fadded slightly by the time of DS9. The captain of that ship went a bit lu'la and thought it was justified to keep fighting the Cardassians. The war is said to have taken place some time in the early 2350's or late 40's as TNG is set in 2363 onwards. The treaty put some federation planets in cardassian space and some cardassian planets in federation space. THink of it as the partition of Israel, its a total mess and the Maquis came out of this.

The whole region had its own seperate conflicts, and althoug not cannon maps show that the Breen and the Tzenkethi are also in this general area. Sisko apparently fought in a war agaisnt the Tzenkethi that must have been at a similar time to the cardassian war. In the only mentions of that race it was said another war with them would be costly and thats why the Dominion tried to start one. The previous war must have been at the same time as the war with Cardassia, so a lot of the federations resources and ships in that region must be suffering from the after affects of a long period of conflict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,688 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Okay heres a better question - why is there never a federation starship around? Shouldnt they be keeping way more ships on hand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Overheal wrote:
    Okay heres a better question - why is there never a federation starship around? Shouldnt they be keeping way more ships on hand..
    "Space, is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindboggingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist, but that’s just peanuts to space."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,688 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah, I know. WH40Ks sub-game battlefleet gothic put it really well; I wish I could remember how they worded it :) But seriously it seems like they need to be just pooping out defiant-class ships like crazy (small crews and hella deadly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Sure defiant's would be cool, if the Federation was a warrior race, but the primary function of Federation star ships is exploration.

Advertisement