Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Realised I need a plan!

• 28-07-2007 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Had a few bottles of vino and being thinking about what I want to be doing (yes all very deep and meaningful), but here is a rant which should entertain u.
    I’ve from Dublin and been living in a fairly small place outside of it for the last couple of years, like it.
    It’s an easy life as in close to work, nice ‘quality of life’ etc, an income which is adequate to have a reasonable standard of life.
    The other side of it is income is what I’d consider very average, and something which would not cover me to live in Dublin and have any sort of a property. Apartment or anything.
    I’m single, mid-twenties, no relationship/child commitments and I’ve found career wise I’ve gone as far as I can in my profession in the place where I’m living.
    Since I’ve left Dublin I realised that it’s actually a nicer place than I realised when I grew up there.
    Yep it’s got crime, problems, no parking blah blah but I actually like the buzz of it, the people, the eye candy (and variety of it) you don’t always get in smaller places.
    The other side of it is if I was ten years older, kids, settled etc the place I live (rural Ireland) would be perfect place to live.
    The people are probably friendlier in the place in which I live, but I’m a city person at heart and I’ve kind of feel that no matter how hard I try I’ll always be an outsider.
    Anyway, the really practical side of what I’m waffling on about…but to move back to Dublin would mean that that my place in the country would be valued at less than have of what I could expect to pay for a place in Dublin.
    The reality is it costs 500,000 to live anywhere near where I grew up, and that sort of money is way beyond what any bank would give me..
    So what would you do?
    At is I feel like I’m off the Dublin ladder so to speak, I mean what I earn and value of my place is smaller than the Dublin average and if I spend another couple of years ‘down the country’ I’ll find it very hard to ever get back from a financial point of view..
    Anyway, my point is I need a plan but at the moment I don’t have one because I can’t decide what step to make next.
    A. Stay rural life - ‘Nice’ life but very limited career opportunities, and less exposure to the buzz/as much interaction with like minded youngish people.
    B. City life - Financially much harder but better career opportunities other side is in ten years time the ‘city’ life may not be as practical with kids and the like..(I realise you need I need to get a woman first).
    C. Become a complete mercenary, pack in job. Career change in the hope of earning more money and being able to live in Dublin.
    D. Just coast along as I’m doing and something will just happen.
    I remember reading a thread on urban v rural living before, lots of pros and cons of both..curious to know what are other peoples opinions of how their experiences have been.
    Cheers..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Have you got a reasonable amount of equity in your place inthe country? If so, you could think about releasing some to buy a starter home in the city and rent out your place in the country. Oh, and remember that very few first/second time buyers are realistically going to be the place where you settle. If 500k is an insumountable amount for you to pay right now, buy something smaller in a different area but where you can still be in/have easy access to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

in ten years time the ‘city’ life may not be as practical with kids and the like..(I realise you need I need to get a woman first).
    I grew up in dublin, along with 100' and 100's of thousands. It's wasn't very difficult and I certanly don't feel deprived ;) I wouldn't make this an issue. Dublin's a great place to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The other side of it is if I was ten years older, kids, settled etc the place I live (rural Ireland) would be perfect place to live.
    Then aim towards that.

Firstly, just because you intend to move back to Dublin, does not mean you need to buy there. Rent. Keep the house in the country and rent it out.

I've a friend who bought in the country around your age for around €150k. She didn't live there though, just rented it out of offset the mortgage. Instead she rented in Dublin and later in London. Her career progressed, she eventually went from permanent to contracting, got a number of additional qualifications, and ultimately reached a very senior level in the work she did.

She's now in her mid thirties and has moved back to the country after having her first child with her partner. The house is paid off and she's additionally amassed a good war chest. While it won't be easy she's at least in a position now that she should be able to get contracts teleworking from home. And this was her plan all along.

In short, where do you want to be in ten or fifteen years time? Decide that and mold your plan around achieving that goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hgdhgfhgfhgf

Miss Fluff, no absolutely no equity build up in house in country, Just starting out to pay ,my mortgage.
    As for what I could possibly get to borrow, I’d say 240,000 max which doesn’t equate to anywhere in Dublin!
    Decisions, decisions, decisions..

Advertisement