Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really need some help with new build :(

Options
  • 28-07-2007 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hey lads

just spent most of the day last night putting my new rig together..

i connected everything up..and then it was time to switch it on for first time..i did so and at first i tought everythnig was going ok..i could see my four case fans spin up and psu fan as well..i think i heard a beep as well..

anyway the bad part is the cpu fan was not spining so seeing this i immediatly turned off power..i had fist tought the fan had gotten obstructed by the tight wire that spins around the hs(intel stock hsf) but im not so sure anyway...when i moved the wire free i started it up again and it didnt come to life..

it was was probably on for 10 seconds the first time before i noticed so i hope it wasnt enough for the processor to overheat...

anyone have any idea what the problem is or how could i figure out where its coming from?

cheers

hardware is:
    hx620 corsair psu
    E6600
    2gb corsair 6400
    gigabyte ds3r

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Probably a dead fan. Try another 3 pin fan port on the motherboard to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

or it could just be that the fan is temp controlled and will only spin up once the cpu temp gets to a certain level. Maybe rig up a fan over the cpu HSF just in case, then boot up and quickly get into the BIOS and turn off any temperature controls (read the manual before hand so you know what to look for, intel likes to use unexplained acronyms) Then reset and see if the fan comes to life.

Failing that you could always hook the fan directly up to the PSU and see if it will spin up when the system is powered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

i tryed putting the fan port onto another 4 pin fan connector on the mb and still didnt spin..

yeah i was thikning that meself l31mrod..that it needed a bit more time to heat up and for the fan to recognise its needed and then spin up..heard its some new tech..

ive only had it for longest maybe 10 seconds and i read somewere just now that it could take up to 20-50 seconds..i dont have any other fans laying around that have this type of connection..they all seem to be brown/green color and have a different layout than the one with intel hsf..so cant even test to make sure its the fan and nothing else..

i havent yet also been able to see anything on screen..as im not sure this has onboard video..and i have 8800gtx installed in it which im not sure if the fan on it is spinning up but ill check...has two pci-e power cables going into it..

i tryed there again to see could i wait 20 seconds for the fan to spin up..but now when i power on i get high pitched squeling noise coming from hsf area..not speaker as i had plugged it out and its down under end of case so id know it.. :(

whats going on i didnt even change anything this just started up out of no where..

im not sue how id be able to hook cpu fan directly to psu as there is no adapter etc..

ill connect monitor again and see do i get a picture..dvi should work shouldnt it it doesnt need and drivers etc just getting to bios?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

you'd want something like this to connect it straight to the psu
    1902.jpg

and you dont need drivers for bios.. because the drivers are only used when you're in the OS... so even booting into XP/vista/insert OS here - it will work just look like **** in the OS until you get the drivers in.

i think i may have gotten one of them with the psu actually..it has molex one side..the moduler jack side and two other jacks that look abit like the one in the pic..they have four ports and a line of plastic down one of the sides infront of the second last port..lol bit confusing but thats what it looks like..ill give it a try if i cant get the fan to spin after i leave it for a while..

good news is that the beeping has stopped i think it may have been caused because i had taking out the two pci-e plugs out of the gfx card..and forgotting all bout doing just that..so the beeping stopped when i plugged them back in..and it was prob because the board was under too much load on its own without the extra power from plugs..hopefuly i didnt damage anything by doing that..

i also then connected monitor to the pc and started it up...the gfx card fan started almost immediatly maybe 3 seconds after everything else...and then after bout 5 seconds the cpu fan actually kind of kept jolting itself around..like one push at a time every second...looked like it was either waiting for the hs to get hot and then start spinning or the fan isnt getting enough power or a faulty fan im not sure..which i hope it isnt as the processor would probably be stuck to the hs now as the compound would have probably melted... :(

do you think i should wait for longer to see if the fan spins up properly..and if so how long would you say i should leave it for...

does the processor not shut itself down if it gets overheated?

cheers for the help

• Advertisement

afaik, the core2duo's do have that built in (shut down if overheat).. im not going to check for you though :p

i'd say atleast try connect straight to the psu, then you'll have some peace of mind if the fan is working ok.

and i seriously doubt that its stuck to the cpu.. unless its getting to about 500C :p

lol..

well think i got a bit of luck after all..

i flew into the bios and turned off the fan control method that rates the speed of it with the current temperture..and set it to run full speed no matter what..i then restarted it and the fan booted up full trottle lol...2000rpm sounds bout right for full speed?

with full speed the core temp went up to 30c and stayed around there..

i then changed setting back to rate the speed with temp and the core temp went up to 40-42 and then the fan went faster and it cooled back down to 40 most of the time..

are these temps ok for just been in the bios?

you should probably get into an os and use something like speedfan.. just to be sure.

30C is good.. 40C idle is.. bleh

lol yeah im guessing ill be doing a few tests later on..ill check then..

will the fan not last as long if i leave full speed on all the time? or there is this other setting called "intel hg etc etc that changes fan speed as well which is supposed to be better than the auto on e i picked..

but anyhow ill check later and see what the temp is while im on os..i set the limit to 60c for a warning to go off or something and also alarm for fan failure..

i would of tought the case would be cool as i have so many fans and its preety big..but then again the case was open and the wires were all over the place..i gotta do abit of cable management now.. :D

thanks for the help

i doubt it'll hinder the fan life.. lol, if so then mine should be well fúcked by now. up until last weekend, still using stock fan for e6600. i got it about a year ago :D

what case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

here ya go, temperature guide for the e6600;

bios=Tcase
    Core=Tjunction (should be a differance of core0 being around 1 degree hotter)
    bios/core
    -70-/-85--85- Shutdown
    -65-/-80--80- Throttle
    -60-/-75--75- Hot
    -55-/-70--70- Warm
    -50-/-65--65- Normal
    -45-/-60--60- Normal
    -40-/-55--55- Normal
    -35-/-50--50- Normal
    -30-/-45--45- cool

hope that puts ya at ease

lol..so i dont need to worry bout it dieing on me then..might just leave it at full so :D

and ye sabastian.. puts me at ease alri..so once i stay under 60-65 its normal :)

i doubt itll go over 50 but ill check later just in case..

the case is thermaltake kandalf not the lcs one doh.. :)

Advertisement