Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on best route Dublin-Mayo

Options
  • 28-07-2007 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows a good route to take to cycle from Dublin to Castlebar, Mayo? I've tried to get a route off the internet but it keeps throwing up Primary roads.

The one I have at the moment is the N3 to Navan, then the N51/N52 to Mullingar. From there it's the N4 to Longford, and the N5 into Castlebar.

Is this the best option? I'd prob enjoy it a bit more on quieter roads. Shaving a few Kilometres off wouldn't hurt too much either!

I'd really appreciate it if anyone has done it before and has a few rougue tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

You can stay on the old N4, dont know what its called now. Its bypassed as far as the other side of Kinnegad so it is very quiet. From Longford take the road to Lanesboro and on to Roscommon, Castlerea etc. Much quieter than the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Using the canal toe-paths is also an option. May need MTB or fat tyres for some sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Try this ... http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/ ... and refine your route using the 'via' option. You can compare the distances of different routes.

Advertisement