Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's on in Brown Thomas today?

• 28-07-2007 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

I walked by just after 9:00 am and there was already a queue stretching from Wicklow Street all the way down to the end of Clarendon Street!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Same thing in Cork.

Just checked brownthomas.ie, some new canvas carrier bag that has "I'm not a plastic bag" stiched onto it is on sale in limited numbers. PT Barnum would be proud!

any-hindmarch-new.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Can't believe the queues are so long for it. That's crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I should have guessed that it was something like that as the queue was mostly women with a disproportionate amount of Asian metrosexuals as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Gyalist wrote:
    I walked by just after 9:00 am and there was already a queue stretching from Wicklow Street all the way down to the end of Clarendon Street!!

Maybe Paris Bimbohead is releasing another perfume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Drove passed the queues in Dublin, madness, all for a bag!

Although this makes sense:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ANYA-HINDMARCH-IM-NOT-A-PLASTIC-BAG-BRAND-NEW-I-AM_W0QQitemZ170132273570QQihZ007QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$225 on Ebay, so I imagine it's at least €200 in Irish stores usually and I heard that they were going for €12. Only one per person though so it wouldn't be that good a business venture, although still worth the queueing time I suppose. But then there's the people who aren't buying them to flog:rolleyes:

Stargal wrote:
    Can't believe the queues are so long for it. That's crazy.

It's because it's by designer Anna Hindmarch (or however you spell her name) and its also only about €15 which you'll admit is cheap for a designer bag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Dammit, I was supposed to get up early to get one. Doesn't sound as if there'll be any left by the time I get into town :mad:

Demonique wrote:
    It's because it's by designer Anna Hindmarch (or however you spell her name) and its also only about €15 which you'll admit is cheap for a designer bag!
    Yeah I know that, but I still can't believe queues are so long. It's cute but it's nothing exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i was going to go in to get one but decided sleep was more important:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I got mine - it was €12. Started queueing at 7:30 am and was #626 in the queue! Insane!! The queue started at the Hermes / Chanel entrance, went back around by Louis Vuitton, down Clarendon St past the BT carpark, straight up to Stephen's Green and around by Urban Outfitters!!!!!!!!! Madness!!!

I thought I was pretty crazy queueing from 7:30 but there were people at the top of the queue who had started queuing at 8 pm last night and lots that queued at midnight for it. Only had 1,200 in stock. I'd say there will be a lot of disappointed people who were queueing! Finally got the bag at 10:30, god it was cold and boring waiting.

Wasn't really too pushed on getting it but said I'd go in anyway. But the bag is really nice quality, nice and soft.

Actually it was ridiculous this morning. This one selfish greedy woman in front of us was joining the queue as we were joining and she skipped ahead to her friend who was two people in front ot us. She had also her 8 yr old kid with her! Then her husband joined her, then her father (it looked like) and two other kids! We were going mad, like totally greedy and selfish bringing the whole family along. Saw a lot of people like that actually.

At around 9:30 we heard a load of cheering and shouting and then this one was coming down the street with her bag trying to get people to cheer her on coz she was oh so cool that she was one of the first lot who got the bag! Said she'd been standing there since midnight. I didn't cheer her anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'm gonna wait for the cheap penny's alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

im glad i didnt go in now:)

I got a free cotton type material bag when I bought some vegetables in an organic farm in Dun Laoghaire...

It's a bag! And now that everyone has queued and bought them, there no longer something of desire, they'll be common. Where's the sense in waiting in line for that?

Sad. No scratch that, retarded.

Yep tiz pretty stupid and I admit I am quite sad that I queued for it but sure howsever!

There were LOADS of Asian people queueing for it though. But they are really into their designer gear over there. Apparantly it was supposed to be launched in Asia this weekend but there were riots or something mental so they cancelled it!! I heard that a woman flew in from the US to queue for it and so did some guy from Dusseldorf, mental!

Way I see it is that 1,200 of the bags isn't really that many so you won't see them all over the place - however town is mobbed with them at the moment since everyone is wearing them today.

They are going on ebay for £85stg!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Well if you have one, sell it!
    Make a nice profit

Nah I'll be holding onto mine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

tinkerbell wrote:
    Yep tiz pretty stupid and I admit I am quite sad that I queued for it but sure howsever!

There were LOADS of Asian people queueing for it though. But they are really into their designer gear over there. Apparantly it was supposed to be launched in Asia this weekend but there were riots or something mental so they cancelled it!! I heard that a woman flew in from the US to queue for it and so did some guy from Dusseldorf, mental!

Way I see it is that 1,200 of the bags isn't really that many so you won't see them all over the place - however town is mobbed with them at the moment since everyone is wearing them today.

They are going on ebay for £85stg!!!!

Why would someone fly to another country to buy one when they are on ebay though!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

tinkerbell wrote:

At around 9:30 we heard a load of cheering and shouting and then this one was coming down the street with her bag trying to get people to cheer her on coz she was oh so cool that she was one of the first lot who got the bag! Said she'd been standing there since midnight. I didn't cheer her anyway!

Er, they're really not that exciting, are they :p They are cute though.. I was thinking of going in to get one this morning, but then I completely forgot, and I'm sure they're all gone now! Ah well...

tinkerbell wrote:
    This one selfish greedy woman in front of us was joining the queue as we were joining and she skipped ahead to her friend who was two people in front ot us. She had also her 8 yr old kid with her! Then her husband joined her, then her father (it looked like) and two other kids! We were going mad, like totally greedy and selfish bringing the whole family along. Saw a lot of people like that actually.

Did she end up buying three bags on account of her husband and father being with her?

If someone jumped the queue because their friend was there I would have told her ' do you mind not skipping the queue' and if she ignored me I'd tell a member of staff and hopefully she'd be sent right to the back of the queue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

This fad, and those who queued to be a part of it, is/are beyond retarded.

Actually...that gives me an idea for a "designer bag" of my own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

They don't look like great bags - a bit heavy and clumsy and ugly. Habitat and the tidy-up shop in Harold's Cross both sell good-sized ripstop nylon bags that pack into a little pouch with a clip to clip it inside your handbag. Nicer - they come in flowery versions and bright orange, green, red, yellow, etc - and much handier to carry. And if you really need a label, you can always spray-paint 'YSL' on them or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It's only a canvas bag. Now I love designer stuff etc, but it's not even that nice! I like my sleep more.

Demonique wrote:
    Did she end up buying three bags on account of her husband and father being with her?

If someone jumped the queue because their friend was there I would have told her ' do you mind not skipping the queue' and if she ignored me I'd tell a member of staff and hopefully she'd be sent right to the back of the queue
    Yep they all bought one - every member of the family! So that one woman alone got 7 bags!!!

This guy tried to skip the queue by jumping in behind us and I was like "ah HELLO this is a queue" and he just ignored me!! So I started waving my hand in front of his face and it was only then that it acknowledged me. Said that his girlfriend was queueing since 7:30 and she had to leave so he decided to come in for her and just rejoin the queue in any old spot!!! I was like get back to the back, your gf was not here because we've been here since 7:30 and by then we knew all the people around us! So we made him get out. What an ignorant muppet just chancing his arm like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

rb_ie wrote:
    Actually...that gives me an idea for a "designer bag" of my own...

getting a load of plastic bags and writing "i'm NOT a canvas bag" on them?

hell i'd buy a few to wrap around the face of that one who tried to get cheers.

tinkerbell wrote:
    Yep they all bought one - every member of the family! So that one woman alone got 7 bags!!!

What are the odds that they'll be on eBay by this evening?

Yep, shower of feckers! I pity the person who was #1201 in the queue and couldn't get one :( (there were only 1200 bags on sale)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

so now there are 1,200 bags the same in Dublin. That's worse than when you buy a handbag in Penney's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

so now there are 1,200 bags the same in Dublin. That's worse than when you buy a handbag in Penney's

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Cremo wrote:
    getting a load of plastic bags and writing "i'm NOT a canvas bag" on them?

hell i'd buy a few to wrap around the face of that one who tried to get cheers.

I'd queue to watch that.

My God, I think this is the worst thing I will read about today . Thanks for setting our evolution back another few thousand years, Ladies.

boreds wrote:
    My God, I think this is the worst thing I will read about today . Thanks for setting our evolution back another few thousand years, Ladies.

Frightening isn't it? I mean if you actually just sit back and think about it, it's just really... really frightening! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rubes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Caliden wrote:
    I'm gonna wait for the cheap penny's alternative
    suitable for Pennys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

A couple of weeks ago you could have bought one of these -
    http://www.stylefeeder.com/item/jh46vj

But the copyright police got there first - killjoys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

they showed those on XPOSE a while ago
    naturally, I was immediately put off.
    you can buy a plain canvas bag in aldi and write your own slogan

about the people cheering for the woman, people cheer for everything
    I was cheered when I got my Harry Potter book the other week

I heard a rumour that a PR company paid people to wait in line to turn it in to an 'event'. Did anyone else hear that? Obviously a lot of genuine customers queued too, but it's pretty crazy if it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

tinkerbell wrote:

dont get it myself, but it seems to be quite the craze http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article2099981.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

This hype has to be proof of how immensely sad people are... queueing for hours to get a bag just because it's designer.

My God, some people need to get a life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Stargal wrote:
    I heard a rumour that a PR company paid people to wait in line to turn it in to an 'event'. Did anyone else hear that? Obviously a lot of genuine customers queued too, but it's pretty crazy if it's true.
    I didn't hear that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true tbh. The newspaper magazines were featuring its upcoming launch for at least the last six weeks, it got a crazy amount of publicity.

Advertisement