Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor signal question

• 28-07-2007 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im currently an 02 Bill pay (active life 650) and my contract is up in 2 months.
    Im thinking of porting my number to Meteor and taking out a billpay contract.
    Now my question is, what is the coverage now like on the network?
    My reason for looking to change is that my girlfriend is on meteor so i can txt her for free, and I can be her phone a friend for free!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Coverage should be fine pretty much everywhere. Every network does have black spots though, which is why if you're unhappy with Meteor coverage, you have 14 days to get a refund.

The offer you're talking about is the PaYG offer. The current bill pay offer is (on Talk 300 (50e) and higher), you get free calls to all Irish mobiles and landlines from 8pm Friday to 7.59 Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Actually i find meteor coverage to be better than O2 and even Vodafone. Probably because they piggyback off their rivals masts when their own is low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

Meteor coverage is very good. Especially if you are in urban areas it is far superior to Voda and O2 because they do not have such congestion.

Out in rural areas, Voda can still have the edge. Here's why. You can have 1-0 signal on Meteor in a particular location. Meteor then has to "decide" if your average signal is zero or one before it hands it off to Voda. Sometimes that means that you are stuck on a pretty poor Meteor signal because you are not "bad enough" to be handed over.

Also in places like Dromoland Castle, which springs to mind. You can be in a room for like 10 minutes and have Meteor signal for, say, 3 minutes of the 10. Meteor seems to "decide" that you are "covered" and you never switch to Voda. However when you walk outside that room to another you suddenly get loads of call catcher texts.

I carry both Meteor and Voda cells with me. I have noticed this phenomenon often. Also people who know both my numbers (not everyone does for privacy reasons) will try me first on Meteor and then ring my Voda.

Having said that I live in a city. And most of my calls are made in a city. And frankly if I was depending on Voda for the majority of my calls, life would be miserable. Meteor is crystal clear when Voda would have you screaming down the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I find the same phenomenon as Fergal. Full (apparently) coverage and people can't get through to me. They ring my o2 number and get me straight away.

Also, I occasionally get "Sim card rejected" on Meteor at random times. It's a nuisance as I never know how long it's been like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Sim Card Rejected is a phone or sim card fault, not a network fault. It would be Sim Card Registration Failed for a network fault, for the most part. I suggest popping into a Meteor store to get a replacement sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Been with Meteor 6 years never had trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

Thanks for all your feedback guys!! I think a switch to Meteor is on the cards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

I have found that the roaming dealy that they have in Ireland (if you run out of Meteor cover then you swap over to Voda cover) has really helped to improve things! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

check out "3" for great phones and much better bill-pay plans

Advertisement