Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to identify a tree in my back garden

Options
  • 28-07-2007 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi

Hoping someone wiith a green finger or eye can identify this tree that is growing in my back garden in the South Dublin city.
    some people have said a lime tree , don't think , anyone with a definite answer.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

I would like to see a larger pic, model70.
    But for the time being it looks to me like a form of Populus nigra (black poplar)
    Have a LOOK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 model70

I thought that as well from browsing but the leaves have a very distinctive 2 tone , will send a pic that might show taht closer.
    This little clue might help , it disperse a long thin pod with white tendrils from it that is quite sticky usually early in its greening , some body metioned a lime tree.
    Please apprciate I know nothing about about trees and need the help as this has started to intrigue me

here is a higer res shot

model70 wrote:
    This little clue might help , it disperse a long thin pod with white tendrils from it that is quite sticky usually early in its greening , some body metioned a lime tree.

This flower type and stickyness of bud is even more so indicative of the poplar over the lime.

35009801.JPG
    Sample lime.

0104011.jpg
    Sample poplar.

I think you might have it , as they do look like the above pods but are white and thinner.
    So I think a poplar , I will seen a pic of the leaves when I take one , also some pods on the ground so will check

• Advertisement

This might help , its a leaf photo , note the the buds are quite sticky

Quite possibly a katsura or Indian bean tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum).
    Telltale signs….

1. The heart-shaped leaves, but do they turn a turning bright pink or orange colour in autumn.

2. In spring the leaves emerge opposite each other, coloured reddish purple before turning green. The leaves also have a slightly serrated edge.

3. In summer the leaves may have slight bluish tint. The mature leaves are 2 to 4 inches long.

4. In autumn the fallen leaves will have a fragrance of brown/burnt sugar.

5. Surface roots often produce shoots, as the tree in your pic seems to be doing.

6. The seed pods are ½ to 2 inches long, green and thin.

7. The mature bark has vertical cracks which can often begin to peel.

Picture attached of... Bark, pods, trunk and leaves.

Yes to all the above , so a Katsura , anything special about them

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭John32c

Populus x jackii 'Aurora...varigated leaves with white splashes on them..white catkins in Spring...lovely event scent when leaves appear but tree is prone to canker a fungal disease...

Advertisement