Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N95 Gps

• 28-07-2007 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi. I was looking at the N95 and considering getting one for the features, 5MP camera, WiFi, but espically GPS. Can anyone who has the N95 be able to tell me what the GPS on it is like?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Anyone? Please???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Ive used it just for messing out seeing if it follows me while Im walking or driving around in a friends car. From what I gether it works very well it follows me exactly where I go

Ive no idea in relation to other GPS systems or on long distances but from what Ive used I think its a cool littel feature and it works the maps are great too you can definatly tell exactly where you are. It can also give you directions to a place as in Turn left, Turn right etc

Anything specific you would like to know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Have a look at this vid, hope it's some help.

http://n95blog.com/mr-brown-reviewing-nokia-n95-gps-in-car/

;) Thanks for that, I do have a few more Qs about it.
    1) I Heard you have to pay Nokia €60 for 3 yrs for Voices/Directions. Is this true? Does your one, for e.g., you enter a destination and it tells you where to go?
    2) Does it tell you distance done etc?
    3) Apart from GPS, is the camera good, did you try the Wi-Fi?
    4) Any other good features which I dont know about?
    Thanks a million again
    Padddy:)

Yep to use the built in voice on the nokia software you have to pay.

Yep cam is really good for a phone cam.

Yep WiFi works no prob! a trick is to use your WiFi to download the maps and more as using 3G (or 3.5g) will hit your wallet hard

Has loads of stuff in the menu's I'd be here all day... Youtube and forum serch is your only man.

I love mine and it's the best phone I've ever had.

(get a spare batt... youll need it!)

• Advertisement

If I dont use the Voice prompts, can I still get directions to my destination free? I see you say to use Wifi to download maps, will that not be a problem when you leave your house???! Just wondering! Can you not preload all the maps onto a Mem card/internal memory?
    Thanks again god's toy, Thanks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I've an N80 and the wifi works well but the web browser never seems to work properly!

I rarely ever get to use the on screen mouse and 9 times out of ten it seems to revert back to the old style of web browsing i.e. highlighting links!

I hope the N95 doesn't have this kind of problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

You would be better to go for Route 66 for the N95, it has Navteq Maps updated to this year and also is around €49 to €79 dependant on where you get it, it is on general release in europe and UK & Ire soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

The maps are based on navteq which are regarded as the best. The GPS app works very well, without the voice. You need clear view of sky for receiver to work. You may also use an external receiver connected to phone with bluetooth. You can simulate journeys from any location to another. You can install the maps directly onto memory card using map loader after you have played with gps on the new mobi with the memory card installed. One drawnack with GPS is heavy drain on battery. For regular use a car charger would be essential.

The post before mine answered your Q's for you :) I would also say go with Route 66 software.

• Advertisement

Can anyone give me a link to Route 66 software for the N95? All I can find is Route 66 GPS receiver. Thanks

It says on that site the N95 is not on the compatibility-list, but this latest software supports the internal GPS of the N95 and getting it to work is easy.

http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=UK&sec=9&ssec=1&prodid=1747

If your unsure then perhaps it's best to wait till it's on the supported list...

Thanks, €120 is a lot on top of the phone. All in all would you say the preloaded Nokia maploader program be ok? Final Q, thanks for all your help, do you really need to connect to GPRS to get the maps, or can you put them on a mem card or how do you do it with WiFi?

I use the pre loaded maps and I'm happy with them...
    I'm not 100% sure if Nokia's own maps can be downloaded from a 'Nokia' site or not but someone once posted a link to free maps that were said to be better than the N95 ones and they were free too. :) You were able to download them to your PC and pop them onto your mem card... Cant find that link now but it's under one of the (many) N95 threads that popped up over the last two months.

Hope someone remembers what site it was and posts that link...

If anyone can find what god's toy is on about I would be extremely greatful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

http://www.66.com/route66/homepage.php?cid=IE
    You get to activate on 3 separate devices, verified by IMEI.
    I may have some more relevant info if you PM me on the route 66

http://www.nokia.ie/A4366154 for N95 software

http://europe.nokia.com/A4353384 for the free map loader

as i said earlier you DON'T need to use gprs to load maps. You must either use your N95 in mass storage mode when connected to PC and memory installed OR play with the maps app on your phone with the memory installed, then transfer memory to PC and install whatever maps you want with the map loader.

Wow thanks for that link! Turns out all the Nokia maps are free to download in full.

Cool beans:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

Advertisement