Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW locknut removal

Options
  • 28-07-2007 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a BMW 325 and it has on it a locknut to prevent I suppose possible theft of the alloys. Today while checking the various bits and pieces of the car I noticed that the key for the locknuts is missing (a lock bolt?). It's a 2nd had car and I've checked with the original owner and he expected it to be with the car. So he has no idea where it is.

I don't have a flat for anything at the moment, but I'd like to either get a replacement key if possible or remove the locknuts and replace with ones that I've a key for. Can any one tell me my best option here?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Why don't you take a photo of it and post it here. Perhaps someone on boards has a match, me even. Otherwise you may have to solder a bolt onto it or drill it.
    thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Did you check the flap at the back of the boot door? There's a little place there for storing it. If you open the boot door upwards and look at the inside of the boot door when it's up in the air, you should see an access panel there. Open the latch on it and there are a few bits and pieces there, you should find the locknut socket there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If it's an E90 you'll find the locknut in the boot, under a small carpet panel on the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

thegills wrote:
    Why don't you take a photo of it and post it here. Perhaps someone on boards has a match, me even. Otherwise you may have to solder a bolt onto it or drill it.
    thegills

The photo is a good idea. I'll get the digital camera out tomorrow.

It's an E46 and I've checked the flap that's attached to the boot lid. The spot in the case for holding the locknut is there, but alas it's empty.

Soldering on a bolt sounds like a serious job - are there serial number for replacment keys?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Go to BMW and ask them - I don't think they are that expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

kbannon wrote:
    Go to BMW and ask them - I don't think they are that expensive.

And so its wasn't. Called into Joe Duffy and got the replacment there and then. Apparently there's only about 20 different combinations and the parts guy went through them until he found a match. €10 to replace.

Just posting for other people's info.

Now the limited combination leads to a question about real security! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

jayok wrote:
    Now the limited combination leads to a question about real security! :)
    I think most manufacturers are the same... the Accord lock nut key fits the VTI! (Jeez, maybe they only have one type:eek: )

Advertisement