Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what happened to the Ard Ri hotel?

• 28-07-2007 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I drive past the entrance often enough, I noticed this last few weeks its looking more closed than ever with nothing going on in terms of refurbishment etc.

Whats up?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Could be just a rumour but I heard its going to be demolished and a housing development built there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

From memory the hotel was going to be completely redeveloped and also residential elements i.e houses and perhaps also but I stand to be corrected some form of sheltered housing for the elderly.However a guy called Brendan McCann also happened....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

mad man wrote:
    From memory the hotel was going to be completely redeveloped and also residential elements i.e houses and perhaps also but I stand to be corrected some form of sheltered housing for the elderly.However a guy called Brendan McCann also happened....

they got their planning permission in the end, then closed it and put it up for sale

some lads vandalised it and put their anticts up on you Tube for a while before it was removed from the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

mike65 wrote:
    I drive past the entrance often enough, I noticed this last few weeks its looking more closed than ever with nothing going on in terms of refurbishment etc.

Whats up?

Mike.

"Night Of The Living Bulldozers" hopefully!♠

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Didnt the News & Start / Munster have an article a while back about some caretaker who turned the place into a brothel? It was raided and stuff? First I heard of it, only a chap who lives close to it claimed it and said it was in the papers.

Also said that is going to be knocked, and its already sold.

Obviously, I cant confirm this so iv no idea if such claims are true. Just wondering is it true or just one of many rumours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

d'oh, more houses and apartments :(
    What a site though, the views would be amazing and are sure to command a high price even in this time of doom and gloom in the property market.

If I had the money I would buy the land and build a big feck off nightclub with a huge glass front looking out onto the city. It would be up there with Ibizas finest...of course it would only last a few months before closing down because of claims of drug use and complaints from neighbouring businesses of noise pollution...tut tut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

I reckon who ever ows the place I just going to sit on it for a while as when and if the North Quays project ever comes on track the value of their investment will have sky rocketed .

Wasnt there a thing in the paper a few months back speculating it was David Flynn who bought the place ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I went up there to take photographs with a friend awhile back we climbed in a broken window hoping to get up to the roof(which we did) but there was some homeless guy living there, said he'd been living there for weeks!

Anyways.. Yea I heard about them demolishing it and putting up a housing estate! Shame its been there for like years

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

It'll ruin all the green in front of it with houses and stuff .... I always thought it was decent enough to look across at !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Ard Ri always got stick for its 60s design ethic but I kinds liked its white bulk shining out out the green above the river. Apartments are frankly so 2000/1/2/3/4/5/6! It would be nice to see it developed as a family friendly rest and recreation zone.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

dazftw wrote:
    I went up there to take photographs with a friend awhile back we climbed in a broken window hoping to get up to the roof(which we did) but there was some homeless guy living there, said he'd been living there for weeks!

Anyways.. Yea I heard about them demolishing it and putting up a housing estate! Shame its been there for like years
    jesus boy thats mad a whole hotel to himself wonder did he sleep in every room yet

jesus boy thats mad a whole hotel to himself wonder did he sleep in every room yet

Yea it was really funny he had one room to himself with a few bottles of wine about 13 years old, two plug in heaters(place has electricity) A big double bed with mattress with clean sheets... Now its all boarded up, we made jokes he was stuck in there lol :(

dazftw wrote:
    Yea it was really funny he had one room to himself with a few bottles of wine about 13 years old, two plug in heaters(place has electricity) A big double bed with mattress with clean sheets... Now its all boarded up, we made jokes he was stuck in there lol :(
    haha it was,nt shammy by any chance haha poor sod, i,d say he was as happy as a pig in muck

nah it wasnt shammym, shammy's actually my friends uncle lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

mike65 wrote:
    It would be nice to see it developed as a family friendly rest and recreation zone.

It would indeed, but given your average Irish developer, I'd say "a mixed retail/residential scheme' (read : "apartments crammed in like sardines, and a Centra") is much more likely the order of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Its hard to imagine many houses being built there,not that much space on the hill really, unless they carve large chunks out of it. probably convert the existing building into apartments I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

shockwave wrote:
    Its hard to imagine many houses being built there,not that much space on the hill really, unless they carve large chunks out of it. probably convert the existing building into apartments I'd say.

if memory serves me right, it got planning permission for a retirement village, low rise and a new hotel/leisure complex

dazftw wrote:
    nah it wasnt shammym, shammy's actually my friends uncle lol
    ah oul shammy is harmless boy, you would have to feel sorry for the bloke so you would

JMcL wrote:
    It would indeed, but given your average Irish developer, I'd say "a mixed retail/residential scheme' (read : "apartments crammed in like sardines, and a Centra") is much more likely the order of the day.
    or more bloody student apartments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ah oul shammy is harmless boy, you would have to feel sorry for the bloke so you would

Harmless? I do recall seeing him chasing young people with a stick and being told he is not permitted on the Tramore - Waterford Bus. Im sure both Tramore & Waterford Gardai have had many dealings with him the way he is.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote:
    Harmless? I do recall seeing him chasing young people with a stick and being told he is not permitted on the Tramore - Waterford Bus. Im sure both Tramore & Waterford Gardai have had many dealings with him the way he is.
    well they probably tormented him and if that was the case i would,nt blame him, shur it was working for C.I.E. that turned him into the man he is today, he hit a kid or something by accident with a bus and the kid died and of course he hit the bottle and that was that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

There's plenty of room up there for the hotel and apartments or housing there's loads of land out the back which stretches as far as the Waterford Golf Club. There was a problem with access to the rockchire rd. i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

or more bloody student apartments
    Nah, too far for them to walk anywhere. :D

Bond-007 wrote:
    Nah, too far for them to walk anywhere. :D
    suppose so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cill Chainnigh

I heard that the deal is the hotel is going to be moved to the Nothern Quay as part of the new development. The current Ard Ri site is to be used for luxury houses. To aid in getting the planning permission, the Old Age Home was thrown in. I can't confirm this, but it is what I heard.

When is the "Nothern Quay Development" going to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good flippin question!

Mike.

I heard that the deal is the hotel is going to be moved to the Nothern Quay as part of the new development. The current Ard Ri site is to be used for luxury houses. To aid in getting the planning permission, the Old Age Home was thrown in. I can't confirm this, but it is what I heard.

When is the "Nothern Quay Development" going to start?
    there is a legal battle between the port of waterford and iarnrod eirann over access or something like that to do with a level crossing

Advertisement