Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

when will the nerves go away

Options
  • 28-07-2007 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi

I got my first car a fortnight ago. I had 10 lessons before this and got on fine.
    I try to go for a ten minute drive every day but before I set off I am shaking and hate the thoughts of driving.once I get on the road Im fine and haven't had any problems, but I hope the nerves will fade.
    also since i dont drive on my own i find it hard to get someone to come with me every day, is it a bad move to maybe only venture out every second day? thanks for any advice.

Comments

Drive as much as you can, and for more than 10 minutes at a time. Thats hardly enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It's all aboit building up the hours behind the wheel. The person you have accompaning you is also important. They should be able to help you calm down.

Just get out as much as you can, maybe have a few more lessons.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

What exactly makes your nervous - your own skill or that of other drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sabrina99

what im worried about is that i cut out and someone behind me starts beeping
    so i suppose its the embarrassment of that cos that would only make me panic,
    i think im doing ok as before june never even started a car,
    another thing is my observation, i hope its good enough.
    also not great at reversing into parking spaces, id be afraid if i went to supermarket i wouldn;t be able to park!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Well they had to learn too once so I wouldn't even worry about that. This morning I panicked and cut out 3 times at a junction and the guy behind me was honking....so I just took my merry time and 4th time lucky.

The important things to remember are that you are only learning so don't expect miracles and everyone else was a petrified learner at some point too, despite their efforts to deny it lol. Parking etc. will come to you gradually and with your lessons. When you're driving on your own just focus on controlling the car...and the people behind you can just wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sabrina99 wrote:
    what im worried about is that i cut out and someone behind me starts beeping
    The morons who sound the horn because someone has stalled are expressing more negative aspects of themselves that about you. It's nothing personal, they're just reacting to the situation rather that anything personal against the driver. I can never understand why people do it though. It's not as if it's going to make the situation any better.

I still stall the wife's manual car occasionally as I'm used to automatics but it's funny that no ones beeps when there's no L plates! :confused:

If you know of a very quiet hilly area near you, you could spend some time practising hill starts. You will get the hang of it pretty soon. When releasing the clutch pedal, the secret is to hold it for a second or so when it begins to bite and then gradually release it the rest of the way.
    sabrina99 wrote:
    so i suppose its the embarrassment of that cos that would only make me panic,
    That will go with practise. Don't be tempted to give up. You'll laugh when you look back later.
    sabrina99 wrote:
    id be afraid if i went to supermarket i wouldn;t be able to park!
    That will improve with confidence. At the moment park at the furthest away ends of the carpark where there are usually more empty spaces and gradually move up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I found what helped was driving lots on roads I was familiar with locally. That way all I had to worry about was the driving itself and not what turn to take or what lane to be in etc. If you're still nervous drive later in the evening when there's fewer cars on the road. Also industrial estates (in the evenings) are a good place to practice if you feel more confident when theres no other cars around.

When I started to learn to drive, my instructor told me I should drive at least 4 or five miles every evening to build up confidence behind the wheel. The more you do it, the easier it gets. As for parking, practice lining up with the kerb in an quiet industrial estate in the evening or try shopping centres in the middle of the week when they are quiet. You won't be long getting used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

sabrina99 wrote:
    another thing is my observation, i hope its good enough.

It probably isn't. But that's normal. When you start driving a car you have to use so much of your concentration on working out what limb is doing what and when it is supposed to be doing it, there isn't much left for observation. This is one of the reaons I think a fully licenced driver should accompany all learners. As you become more comfortable with the controls of the car and the practical aspects of driving onthe roads, your observation will naturally improve.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

as been said above the person that goes with you is a big part of your nerves!!

i think all boyfriends/girlfriends/partners etc should be banned from goin anywhere near a car that is been driven by their partner as they're the worst person to go with them!!

i helped a few friends both male and female by goin on drives with them when they were learning to build their confidence but my own partner was a different story so I had to get my mum to go instead of me!!

my gf has now done her first year as her insurance is just in and she's now confident enough to drive a mondeo every day and she thinks all small cars should be banned from the road!!

in short give yourself time and go out when you know theres little traffic on your local roads!!

hope I've been some help!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement