Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fsb

Options
  • 28-07-2007 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

Ok, sorry if this is a silly question but what is and how important is FSB speed. Someone pointed out that you should go for one that can go to 1333 but the board im looking at only goes to 1066mhz. This is the board im looking at and it takes Core2Quad chips but the FSB is lower than people here were suggesting so im just wondering if i could run into trouble with it later?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Nalced_irl wrote:
    Ok, sorry if this is a silly question but what is and how important is FSB speed. Someone pointed out that you should go for one that can go to 1333 but the board im looking at only goes to 1066mhz. This is the board im looking at and it takes Core2Quad chips but the FSB is lower than people here were suggesting so im just wondering if i could run into trouble with it later?
    Cheers.

The reason I was recommending 1333mhz boards (which also run 1066 and slower) is that Intel have released a number of new 1333mhz chips. If you compare the prices of the 1066 and 1333 chips, you'll see that new chips are priced far more "attractively" vs the 1066s. If in the meantime you went with a low end chip (say an E4300) - atleast you'd have the option of 1333mhz chips in the future should you wish to upgrade.
    Nalced_irl wrote:
    Altogether w/o deliver is 495e so about 520e id say inc delivery. How does that look?

It doesn't, the CPU you've selected isn't listed as supported with the motherboard. You should really be going to the manufactures sites and checking these things out.

The thing you may not realise is that even if a CPU socket doesn't change, sometimes a BIOS change is not enough to support a new chip, it may require for example a chipset change, FSB speed change, and/or voltage change etc., that can only be supplied with new boards, or atleast new PCB revisions of boards. You do need to be careful here.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Stay away from that board it's crap basically, and the CPU won't work with it anyway as dazberry said, this board would be a much better choice http://www1.hardwareversand.de/6VcjjZwCq_fZgD/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=46&agid=659. This PSU would be better also http://www1.hardwareversand.de/6VcjjZwCq_fZgD/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=7657&agid=240.

Ah right, not the best at these things. Cheers for pointing that out. The only thing is that a dual board woulod be handy for now. I dont want to get an AGP only board as it limits me in future but with the budget a PCI-E board means i also have to get a new graphs card. I could sell my current one as its only a month or so old to help with the extra cost but would i be right is guessing that GPU`s 2nd hand price gets very small very fast due to their sensitivity? Also the PSU is cool, i dont know much about them but wattage-wise 520w is grand so i can go with the one you suggested. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

What card is it? And that PSU I linked is top notch rock solid and quiet.

• Advertisement

Cool, ill replace the PSU with that one on the list then anyway. My card is an HIS Radeon X1650XT. I only got it very recently and hence why i would prefer to use it rather than buy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Stay away from the case too. It has very very bad cooling. As the front fans have no vents to pull the cool air in. I used to have one myself, albeit made from a different company.

Anti wrote:
    Stay away from the case too. It has very very bad cooling. As the front fans have no vents to pull the cool air in. I used to have one myself, albeit made from a different company.
    Cool, i really dont know much about this kinda thing so cheers for the help. From what i can make out Antec are a good brand of case right? What would you think about This case?

Maybe not buy that case from there tho with a 45 pound sterling delivery charge :confused: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

If you want the antec 900 get it off www.elara.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

That is actually a fantastic case. On low/medium fan speeds it is very quiet, but on max it is fairly loud.

www.komplett.ie
    www.overlcockers.co.uk
    www.scan.co.uk

All 3 of them sell the case, and delivery isnt to expensive. Especially as the case is rather cheap its self.

I would also change the hdd you have from the WD cavier to a Samsung spinpoint. They are much much quiter. And the newer models are faster too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement