Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom BB, flashing led?

Options
  • 28-07-2007 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

hi,
    I just received my eircom package in the post and set up the router as explained in the manual. But i cant get online!

Now when i ordered it the eircom girl said it would be 95% sure i could get BB in my house due to distance from the exchange.

So im wondering if thats the problem? Am i too far away from the exchange?
    how can i know for sure.

On the router itself, the internet led is flashing instead of being a steady green and this indicates its not connected to the exchange.

Can anyone help debug this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you have only just recieved the box, chances are that the set up is not yet complete on the exchange side. Give it a couple of working days, and if it still isn't working give Eircom another call.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes often the router arrives before the line is activated. You can access the router at http://192.168.1.254 and see what the introductory page is saying. When the line is activated it should be showing the speed you are syncing with the exchange at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BSC

Hi guys, its actually another way around, DSL should be jumpered on the line before the modem posted out, usually modem post out when Eircom tech completes his part of a job at the exchange. i would say check where you connect the modem to, also filters and other telephone equipment. then ring tech suppoort.
    Cheerio!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

BSC wrote:
    Hi guys, its actually another way around, DSL should be jumpered on the line before the modem posted out, usually modem post out when Eircom tech completes his part of a job at the exchange. i would say check where you connect the modem to, also filters and other telephone equipment. then ring tech suppoort.
    Cheerio!
    Well it would make sense if they sent the router after it was activated to avoid problems like these. In my case, I received the router before line was activated also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

ethernet wrote:
    Well it would make sense if they sent the router after it was activated to avoid problems like these. In my case, I received the router before line was activated also.

Same as me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ditto. Got my router before my line was even connected!

ethernet wrote:

On the other hand people would be complaining if they did not have the router and the line had been activated!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Maybe they do it to save you the waiting time? Post it out on the assumption it will take about as long to get there as it does for them activate your line?

Seems that would make sense. Maybe then there was a mess up like the line wasn't activated on time or An Post actually delivered it on time or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

thanks all!
    well the girl did mention a delivery date of august 1st for the box, so maybe thats when it get activated. I'll keep you posted anyway.

Just a question on activation. What is the process here? Does an engineer actually go into the exchange and flip a switch that corresponds to our house to activate our line? Or something similiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I got my Router three days or so before my line was on, but the good thing was after it was turned on for over a month before Eircom's BB team rang up to say it was activated! (so yea it was free that month) after 2 years moved to BT and got full BB for less!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

BSC wrote:
    Cheerio!

It's actually not the other way round.

Modem is sent out a few days before the official activation date in case the line is jumpered before then.

I'm going to guess you work in Eircom but that your only new. If thats the case then you need to be sent back to training.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

BSC wrote:
    Cheerio!

No it's not. The modem is sent out first so that you can use your broadband service as soon as the exchange work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

orla wrote:
    I'm going to guess you work in Eircom but that your only new. If thats the case then you need to be sent back to training.

Oooh, you're getting to be one tough cookie. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

ok so i think its tomoro so when the exchange gets enabled. the girl on the phone from eircom did say 1st august.

fingers crossed now.
    can i ring them maybe and ask when it'll be enabled?
    i think i will after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Well...

Eircom has a bad enough name as it is without some new employee trying to give information thats incorrect.

Gives the rest of us "all knowing and powerful" employee's a bad name. :)
    slemons wrote:
    ok so i think its tomoro so when the exchange gets enabled. the girl on the phone from eircom did say 1st august.

fingers crossed now.
    can i ring them maybe and ask when it'll be enabled?
    i think i will after...

Ring 1800 503 303 and ask them when your activation date is.

Orla is correct - you want to see some of BSC's other posts!

Advertisement