Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make-up & appearance

• 28-07-2007 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am in my late 20's and I hate the fact women are expected to wear makeup to look good. I was away at a hen's last weekend in Cork and all the other ladies wouldnt be seen dead without wearing makeup 24/7. I do wear it sometimes if going to the pub for example as the auld face wud get red but why do most women feel they have to do the fake tan, nails, makeup and trendy clothes...now dont say to me its"for oneself" as its mad...........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I wear it 24/7 along with tan, nice clothes, etc.
    Always important to look nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hollycallan

But why 24/7 I'm sure you can look good without all that fake tan makeup....ones beauty is within.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

ones beauty is within

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

With lines like that, maybe you should consider doing yourself up 24/7, as there's only one kind of person that says that stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Adbusters are actually running a campaign right now opposing the exploititive mass-marketing of make-up and "beauty" products to women. Unfortunately, these companies have a stranglehold on many areas of the media which are popular with women. For example, they were toying with the idea of getting an ad like this into a teenage girls magazine, yet were rejected by Seventeen, CosmoGIRL and Teen Vogue and given no reason, although, it's rather obvious why, almost every other ad they print is for the beauty industry.

So, basically, it's all to do with the media being dominated by such corporations and the influence this has on women.

Read more about the Adbusters campaign here

There's nothing wrong with wanting to look pretty. Take some pride in your appearance. Stereotypes often suggest women who take care of themselves are generally stupid, shallow etc which isn't true.

And that ad is stupid. Bad skin is more often caused by things like hormones. I sleep lots, eat very well, drink lots of water. It doesn't help.
    You can also buy non comedogenic make up.
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-noncomedogenic.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I am in my late 20's and I hate the fact women are expected to wear makeup to look good. I was away at a hen's last weekend in Cork and all the other ladies wouldnt be seen dead without wearing makeup 24/7. I do wear it sometimes if going to the pub for example as the auld face wud get red but why do most women feel they have to do the fake tan, nails, makeup and trendy clothes...now dont say to me its"for oneself" as its mad...........

You're not, many women wear too much makeup imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

what does it matter anyway? if you dont want to wear make up,grand.if ya do grand..its not really important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Pythia wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to look pretty. Take some pride in your appearance. Stereotypes often suggest women who take care of themselves are generally stupid, shallow etc which isn't true.
    I agree 100%.

It's just wearing makeup isn't the only way a woman can look good and fancy beauty products are likely not necessary at all.

I've no problem with girls wearing makeup if they want to, but the fact is(well from what I and many others can see) that the pressure on women to buy and use makeup and other beauty products is huge.
    Pythia wrote:
    And that ad is stupid. Bad skin is more often caused by things like hormones. I sleep lots, eat very well, drink lots of water. It doesn't help.
    You can also buy non comedogenic make up.
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-noncomedogenic.htm
    Intersting link. I can't comment on what the Adbusters ad says as I'm not a dermatologist. I'd just read about the campaign and thought it'd be interesting to bring it up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There's a lot of women who look a lot better without make-up, it just looks silly on them. Then there's ones who wear it to cover up, but once you get up close, it just looks silly even still.

Fake tan is just wrong on all account, never looks good, on anyone.

This is the proper way to wear make-up, look at them eyes!:
    http://venus.provocateuse.com/images/photos/keira_knightley_06.jpg

cormie wrote:

This is the proper way to wear make-up, look at them eyes!:
    http://venus.provocateuse.com/images/photos/keira_knightley_06.jpg

ermmm, I guess thats a matter of personal taste. :p

• Advertisement

excuse me? lol... what's wrong with her?

I didn't say there is anything wrong with her.

Lot of make up though, why teh feck do her eyes have crazy black trails that go either side of her face. :p

I'm sure it's grand for a fashion shoot, but would look a bit odd down the pub/shop/work/etc.

They are killer eyes, I'm an eye makeup man;)

She hasn't got that much makeup on her face in general though, it blends in well, not all slapped on.

Not the kinda lady you'd take to a pub on a night out I don't think, more a stroll along the banks of La Seine type:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Everything in moderation. Irish women need to have a mandatory course in how to apply make up properly. I think a bit of eye make up, lipstick, bronzer (a small bit) looks fine, but those who slap on the panstick need to be pulled over by the fashion police, and ticketed.
    Not all women suit make up, some are just naturally good looking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

i think most men and women are coming around to the fact that too much make up and too much fake tan makes you look like a tart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I get complemented by guys that I do not wear heavy make up, I just wear lipstick and occasionally eye shaddow and mascara. I do dress well. You do not need makeup to look well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

CathyMoran wrote:
    I get complemented by guys that I do not wear heavy make up, I just wear lipstick and occasionally eye shaddow and mascara. I do dress well. You do not need makeup to look well.
    Tbh some people DO need makeup to look well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Everything in moderation.

I wear makeup for work and sometimes for going out. Otherwise, it's a bare face when I want to relax. I wear suits for work and need to look professional. Make up helps. I keep my hair well cut, and eyebrows shaped and that's the extent of my grooming. I don't overdo it, but I maintain a minimum standard.

I don't do the fake-tan thing as I'm very pale skinned - and TBH it looks daft on the vast majority of Irish women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

It's all relative though isn't it. I think the fact that nearly all girls and women are under pressure to wear make up from a very young age is awful, but then again if that's what makes you feel good about yourself then it's your own choice. Some people are stunners without it, and some are better looking with it, it's personal choice and the feedback they get from others that effects the make up that people wear, and at the end of the day most people want to look as good as possible most of the time.

Personally (and I know some will find this a bit sad) I don't feel dressed in the morning until I have my make up on. Being a teenager means your hormones are all over the place, and your skin can do the weirdest things. I agree that foundation etc looks absolutely stupid if covering up massive spots, but it's really good for blemishes etc, if you put it on liberally.

However, no one should feel under pressure to wear make up. If you think you are better off without don't bother. Just don't rule it out either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

i dont wear that much in work coz by the end of the day i look crap whether ive make-up on or not!

but if im going somewhere straight from work i have to put slap on...fix the face a bit. i never used to be as bad.
    but i can admit straight out i look Very different without Make-up! i'd very rarely go out in public without a bit of Slap....work maybe but they're all used to seeing me lookin Rough in here! lol.

• Advertisement

If girls put in as much effort into making their skin look naturally healthy and appealing as they put into getting, applying, paying etc for make-up, the world would be a better place:D

so there we go. came in this morning without make-up for the first time in months. i walk into reception where 2 girls are (Both older ladies) and thy both look at me, ask am i alright and tell me i "look TERRIBLE!!" .....says it all really. lol

lol, eat yer greens and plenty of water and then see what they say in 3 months time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Niamho! wrote:
    so there we go. came in this morning without make-up for the first time in months. i walk into reception where 2 girls are (Both older ladies) and thy both look at me, ask am i alright and tell me i "look TERRIBLE!!" .....says it all really. lol

LOL :D I use to get that all the time when I first stopped wearing makeup on a daily basis - the reaction - oh my god , are you alright, you look gastly tired and pale!! :D Thanks a bunch!!

I think men do like make-up on women but only if it is applied well. I had an ex who use to say I was pretty without make-up. I would say half of the times he said this I happened to be wearing make-up he just didn't know it.

Once the foundation and bronzer is put on right , it can look quite natural!!

boffin wrote:
    LOL :D I use to get that all the time when I first stopped wearing makeup on a daily basis - the reaction - oh my god , are you alright, you look gastly tired and pale!! :D Thanks a bunch!!

I think men do like make-up on women but only if it is applied well. I had an ex who use to say I was pretty without make-up. I would say half of the times he said this I happened to be wearing make-up he just didn't know it.

Once the foundation and bronzer is put on right , it can look quite natural!!
    Agreed!! has it anything to do with Freckles i wonder? .....i dont have rally noticable freckles though so i dont think thats it. I can have quite bad skin every now and again but....i just dont know what it is. mainly my eyes. a bit of Eye crap makes all the differende with me. If only i had a before and after picture. lol

cormie wrote:
    If girls put in as much effort into making their skin look naturally healthy and appealing as they put into getting, applying, paying etc for make-up, the world would be a better place:D

People keep saying this on boards, but lack of water and veges aren't the cause of many people's spots.

Anyway, yes, when I don't have my make up on people ask me if I'm tired, what happened, that I look funny, and a few times people who don't know me that well just haven't recognised me.

Pythia wrote:
    People keep saying this on boards, but lack of water and veges aren't the cause of many people's spots.

Anyway, yes, when I don't have my make up on people ask me if I'm tired, what happened, that I look funny, and a few times people who don't know me that well just haven't recognised me.

Diet is a big big factor with just about everything. I'd be confident in saying that 100% of people will see *some* (most likely vast) improvement in their skin if they eat a healthy diet. There is obviously cases where something other than diet is the cause but improving your diet will have no negative effects, avoiding the problem by covering up with make-up has many. When you said you eat very well in your previous post, there's probably still a lot you could improve on in your diet, same with everyone. Try a vegan, macro-biotic or raw food lifestyle if what you have been trying isn't working. Results wont be immediate but will certainly come eventually. :)

Advertisement