Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash course in driving

Options
  • 28-07-2007 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi

Basically I'm a new learner, have a provisional license and need to learn a.s.a.p.

I was wondering are their any 1 week intensive driving courses in Ireland like there are in Britain?

If not, I came across this course in South Wales...

http://www.green-lights.co.uk/residential.html

Is it possible for me to go over there for the week, learn how to drive and get a british driving license, then use it over here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You won't be able to do a uk test without a UK driving license. To get uk license you will first have to prove you are resident there, then do a theory and hazard perception test.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Señor Ding-Dong

MrPudding wrote:
    You won't be able to do a uk test without a UK driving license. To get uk license you will first have to prove you are resident there, then do a theory and hazard perception test.

MrP

Okay, thanks, I was kinda expecting it wouldn't be as easy as going over and just doing the test:o

So does anyone know are there any 1 week intensive courses here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Actually. You might be able to do the course, but then sit the Irish test. If the course teaches you to pass the UK test you will be good for the Irish one.

Apply for the test here and then head over for the course oone you havea date.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If you're willing to go to Wales for driving lessons, I'm guessing money isn't a big issue? You could offer to pay somebody generously to take you out for a few hours each day? Make sure they are good drivers now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Yeah I've not seen any intensive courses here like back in England (disappointingly for me!). So I've taken to hiring my fab instructor in 2 hour blocks, twice a week and then zipping around in my 'rents car every evening to get used to road handling etc. I too need to pass asap (more like yesterday lol) but that's the best I've been able to come up with here :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    If you're willing to go to Wales for driving lessons, I'm guessing money isn't a big issue? You could offer to pay somebody generously to take you out for a few hours each day? Make sure they are good drivers now:)

Money is an issue but at the same time I willing to pay to get this over and done with ...fast:D
    As you said, if I was to get someone, and pay good money, it'd have to be a proper instructor. I'm surprised that there is none of these courses here yet there is loads in Britain.

Wouldn't really have to be a "proper" instructor. Just anyone you think is a capable driver. You can have a few lessons in my van with me, then you'll have no problem driving a car:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,755 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

cormie wrote:
    Wouldn't really have to be a "proper" instructor. Just anyone you think is a capable driver. You can have a few lessons in my van with me, then you'll have no problem driving a car:D
    wants to learn how to drive cormie - not everything that can go wrong with a van.

Tauren wrote:
    wants to learn how to drive cormie - not everything that can go wrong with a van.

Haha, he did say intensive, It'll put hairs on his chest :D

cormie wrote:
    Haha, he did say intensive, It'll put hairs on his chest :D

Sounds more like a threat:D

What I'd love is just spend a few days in an open area, like a dis-used runway at an airport (like they do in Top Gear:) ), get a proper feel of the car, get up to relatively high speeds to really learn how to control a car, then you'd be fully confident to hit the roads properly afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Se&#241 wrote: »
    What I'd love is just spend a few days in an open area, like a dis-used runway at an airport (like they do in Top Gear:) ), get a proper feel of the car, get up to relatively high speeds to really learn how to control a car
    Sounds like you want one of those rallying school courses. :D (Isn't there one somewhere up in Monaghan?)

Learning how to control a car at high speed won't really be of much benefit in assisting you to pass a standard Irish driving test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'd say the reason thee's no demand for intensive courses here is the relatively long period of wait time for a test. In the UK you can be doing your test 6 weeks after applying for it....with a period like that it'd make sense to have "crash courses" (love that pun)

When I took my initial lessons I tried to do at least 3-4 hours within a week, but it was almost impossible to get instructors at the times I wanted them (outside work hours obviously)....the practice afterward is just as important as the hour(s) of instruction....practice is something that can't be rushed.

Advertisement