Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beardie with MBD

Options
  • 28-07-2007 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hey after reading up on Metabolic Bone Disease in Bearded Dragons I think the one i am looking after has developed this condition. Its not my pet its a friends of mines and I dont want it to die. Has anyone looked after a lizard with this condition and if so can you give me details on how to make him better?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'd recommend a trip to a vet before you do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Go to a vet - calcium injections may be needed!

Does the beardie have UV light???? This is ESSENTIAL for reps. I had a bosc with a calcium deficency & he needed 3 injections to help him feel better & to start eating again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

A weak jaw, rubbery limbs and wasting can be signs of mbd, an x-ray can determine if the beardie has mbd, the beardie should have a uv lamp , a course of calcium injections and sometimes vitamin injections can sort them out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

the light in the tank says exo terra sun glo its the only light in the tank. ive been doing a lot of reading online and im very confused over the lighting situation now.

Is this one bulb enough or should there be another one in the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Is there a heat source? or does that one bulb serve a dual purpose? Not sure if the beardies are Diurnal or Nocturnal, but if they are diurnal they will need a uv lamp, I know my tortoises need UVB lamp to convert vit D3 to calcium. You will also need to provide a calcium supplement, it's easy enough to scrape some cuttlefish bone with a knife onto the prey items before feeding. How long have you had the beardie? and how much do you know of what kind of care he/she got before coming into your posession? I know in some reptiles that over supplementation of vitamins can produce the same effect as lack of vitamins.
    My 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Poppy84 wrote:
    the light in the tank says exo terra sun glo its the only light in the tank. ive been doing a lot of reading online and im very confused over the lighting situation now.

Is this one bulb enough or should there be another one in the tank?

Exo terra sunglo is a heat only bulb.Hate the way they advertise these things--Quote from exo terra "Broad spectrum daylight lamp for terrariums"

You really need a uvb lamp preferably 8-10% uvb--if you want one pm me I have one here that you can have for free but you will need to buy a new bulb.The starter unit I have here will take any bulb up to 3 feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

Hellrazer wrote:
    Exo terra sunglo is a heat only bulb.Hate the way they advertise these things--Quote from exo terra "Broad spectrum daylight lamp for terrariums"

You really need a uvb lamp preferably 8-10% uvb--if you want one pm me I have one here that you can have for free but you will need to buy a new bulb.The starter unit I have here will take any bulb up to 3 feet.

I agree.They also need to be close to the lizard for it
    to get the benefit.Who sold this lizard without giving
    the correct advice?

Advertisement