Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing Apples ?

Options
  • 28-07-2007 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Any one give advice on how to store my apples when harvested. I have tried over the years.....wrapping each apple in newspaper, placing them single on carboard trays supplied by shop keepers. storing in a cold shed. storing in a room in the house, etc. etc. they don't seem to last very long.
    I always make sure the windfalls are not put in for storing.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

we always kept ours in a shed in racks , made on wooden slots, they were wooden trays, and we kept an eye on them removing the ones that were starting to turn, but they never lasted too long either :) maybe thats why making speads and cider are so popular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a lot of sugar in them, they frement, thats why apples in shops are waxed

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

mamags, have a look at this article on Apple Picking and Storage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mamags

Thanks a lot folks for all your help, hope to have a good crop this year:) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I usually peel & cut some of them for freezing and later use in tarts, run them through juicer and make apple jelly, make apple tarts (unbaked) and freeze, invite friends to pick the rest (very popular) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

When is the right time to pick apples
    I planted trees from aldi and lidl which have a good few apples on them but look small like crab apples then they are small trees

Advertisement