Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fake BMW M5's

Options
  • 28-07-2007 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

What's up with all these standard BMW 5 series being kitted out with an 'M' badge?

I've seen at least 4 today in Dublin, and one was a taxi.

What's the point?

For those that don't know how to spot a fake - fake M5's only have an exhaust pipes on one side of the back of the car while a real M5 has two sets of exhaust pipes - one on each side.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i'm not totally up on this, but can you not spec 'm sport' on a std car and get a body kit and an m badge?

Or did these guys actually have an M5 badge only on one side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭cayenne

The M5 also has air-intakes where the standard 5-series has spots, for those trying to spot the difference, pardon the pun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

copacetic wrote:
    i'm not totally up on this, but can you not spec 'm sport' on a std car and get a body kit and an m badge?

Or did these guys actually have an M5 badge only on one side?

They had the body kits and the M5 badge on one side anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Was it an //M5 or just ///M? There is a Sport version of all BMWs. The ///M logo is all over the place. I have 2 Sport BMWs & the ///M logo is on the rubbing strips, wheels, door sills, steering wheel, insturment cluster, etc.
    In addition anyone can buy an ///M badge & put it on their car, homage to thei dream car. It's there to keep the anoraks on their toes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I saw an ///Mpower badge and didn't know what to think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I was in France recently and saw a BMW 5 series diesel with an M3 badge on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

When I was a kid, I fitted a beer mat to my bike so it would hit the spokes to make that buzzing sound so that I could pretend it was a motorbike :D

Some folks just don't grow up :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

M5 Badge (E28!)
    E28_M5_badge.jpg
    ///M Badge
    M_Badge.jpg
    Those with the ///M badge are ordinary 3 or 5 series cars with M-Technik features (suspension, steering wheek, bodykit or whatever).
    The M3 or M5 is a totally different car with most components not the same as ordinary cars. Many ///M cars are badged at the factory/dealer before being bought. Some however are just ebay purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Just to add to the confusion, earlier M5s were hand-built by BMW Motorsport in a separate factory. Only 187 E28 M5s were ever built in RHD. Current cars, good and all as they are, are just standard mass-market production models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Theres a black one in the work car park here (e39) with the quad exhausts and badge, but the tax disc always gives the game away. The stance looks different also. Performance car wannabes, I dont see the point in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think I know that one Andrew as it is around Leixlip a fair bit. The exhausts look wrong.
    That one is a 520i IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Says something about BMW and all the dumbing down / marketing to the masses in more recent times. You will hardly ever find a Mercedes with all the replica AMG regalia. Wheels may be, but that's about it.

Audi are heading down that road too with their S-Line and I suppose Mercedes since they acquired AMG too. Marketing hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

who cares?

people who do this are just sad individuals...its been going on for years

you'll know a real one when you see it, even if its debadged

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Saw someone selling an old A3 1.6 badged as a 1.8T on adverts.ie.
    At he had more modest aspirations...
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

This does my head in too :confused:

Most people who spot an M badge will know the other characteristics of an M5/M3 (e.g. Quad Exhausts, air intakes etc), therefore the people who do spot the M badge will know its a knock-off fairly quick?

As for the BMW's sold with 'M' spec,It seems like a ploy by BMW to convince everyone that they can have an 'M' in some shape or form,even if they cant afford the real McCoy.....

kbannon wrote:
    I think I know that one Andrew as it is around Leixlip a fair bit. The exhausts look wrong.
    That one is a 520i IIRC.

Its in Leixlip alright, this one was a 2.5 litre though with 5 spoke BMW alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

cayenne wrote:
    The M5 also has air-intakes where the standard 5-series has spots, for those trying to spot the difference, pardon the pun!

"Spots" being Irish for Fog Lights or actual circular spots on the car?
    Seen about 20 million A4 TDIs badged as RS4s too.. if I ever am in the opportunity to "talk" to one of these idiots getting out of said "RS4"..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Matt Simis wrote:
    "Spots" being Irish for Fog Lights or actual circular spots on the car?
    Seen about 20 million A4 TDIs badged as RS4s too.. if I ever am in the opportunity to "talk" to one of these idiots getting out of said "RS4"..

I've seen an A4 with both the RS4 and 1.9 TDi badges on the boot. :eek: Class! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Plus a dirty great KENWOOD sticker on the rear windshield.
    I've yet to see a WHIRLPOOL one, could be unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

My 530d Sport has M badges everywhere on the interior, but not one on the exterior. It's factory standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

commited wrote:
    My 530d Sport has M badges everywhere on the interior, but not one on the exterior. It's factory standard.

Yeah that's because it must be an M-Tech and not M5. M5 Looks like a 5 Series but is really fast and very sporty looking.

This is an M5; 5 Litre - From €138k

bmwm506_07.jpg

This is a M-Tech 5 Series; More or less. 2 Litre - From €55k

BMW%205%20Series.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

M5 has rounded mirrors, non-M5 have "elephant ear" square mirrors. This also applies to the interior rear view mirror. Most common thing that people forget to change.

As for the M badges and the comment that it's to make people who can't afford an M think that they have one, the M-tech suspension is worlds away from the standard suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

This is a M-Tech 5 Series; More or less. 2 Litre - From €55k
    No, that's a standard 5 series, this is the M pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I was talking about an e39 model, and I'm fully aware of the differences between it and an M5.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

most of the bmw ms you see are 3 or 5 series with 1.8 or 2 litre engines and the m pack fitted (about 6-7k when new i think) if the car is the m pack ive no problem with an m badge which is different than an m3 or m5 badge.

and chatmaster that 520 you posted isnt an mtec 520 its bog std, you'll find the 520 mtec looks remarkably like the m5 above it save the side grills and quad exhaust

• Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bazz26 wrote:
    I've seen an A4 with both the RS4 and 1.9 TDi badges on the boot. :eek: Class! :rolleyes:

was probably the red t red d and red i tho, so just about as fast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cyrus wrote:
    was probably the red t red d and red i tho, so just about as fast :D

And still gives 90mpg too...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Pulls like a train as well, apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

and stings like a beemer...!!!!!:D

• Advertisement

Advertisement