Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fake BMW M5's

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Razr3D

Have a 320d with full factory fitted 'M Spec'. M logo everywhere on the inside and nothing on the outside. Thought about fitting a 'M' logo on back but I'm worried I might start something uncontrollable and end up pacing up and down the aisles in Halfords every Saturday!! So should I fight the urge to modify and leave as intended? or a slight truthful modification?
    I think I am within the tastefull boundaries but that wouldn't stop me dropping my head when confronted by the beast...'M3'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ringle

My entry...100% valid too!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭MarkN

Interesting that although my E92 is an M sport, the only M signs can be found on the steering wheel and the door sills - that's it. The badge on the boots have obviously been done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Maybe the "badge deletion" option was checked when speccing your car Mark? One of the few no cost options!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

colm_mcm wrote: »
    is it actually a 316, or is the owner being modest?

The 316i didnt come in a coupe. Smallest E46 coupe is the 318ci. I reckon shes the full brew.

• Advertisement

Razr3D wrote: »
    Have a 320d with full factory fitted 'M Spec'. M logo everywhere on the inside and nothing on the outside. Thought about fitting a 'M' logo on back but I'm worried I might start something uncontrollable and end up pacing up and down the aisles in Halfords every Saturday!! So should I fight the urge to modify and leave as intended? or a slight truthful modification?
    I think I am within the tastefull boundaries but that wouldn't stop me dropping my head when confronted by the beast...'M3'

M badge shouldnt do any harm. Then ruff up the guard at the local Halfords so that he wont let you in in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Razr3D wrote: »

I think they're silly...even when factory fitted by BMW. Modifying cars is for losers...sorry but it just is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Maybe the "badge deletion" option was checked when speccing your car Mark? One of the few no cost options!!

wow - there's a concept - NOT being charged for NOT getting something :rolleyes: we've all obviously lost the plot...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

galwaytt wrote: »
    wow - there's a concept - NOT being charged for NOT getting something :rolleyes: we've all obviously lost the plot...........

Usually you do get more work for free when this is specified. Cars come in to the dealer with the badges on, then - FOR FREE (yep Gratis, no charge etc. even from BMW & Mercedes) they remove the badges at the dealership!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

My old E46 320D was an M Sport model and didnt have the boot M badge. I was told by the sales guy that M badges are not factory fitted unless of course its an MTEC car. Theres a 316 with an MPOWER badge where i live, always pained me to look at it. On a similar note i saw an A4 1.9TDI with an S4 badge on it the other day but the best ever was a 00 passat with an MPOWER badge!!! (polish car). Pure class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PaddyFX

BMWs with M badges that aren't the full blown M versions are usually MSport editions and have some MSport equipment such as suspension, wheels, sports seats etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

omega man wrote: »
    .... but the best ever was a 00 passat with an MPOWER badge!!! (polish car). Pure class.

I saw that car too - couldn't believe it, I couldn't help wondering what was going through the guys head as I was driving beside him for a good 5/6 minutes and he could clearly see the badging on my car - bloody idiot!!

Richie.

Well well well, what have I just found. Are these people for real or what?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=772706

"Extremely economical at 55 MPG Diesel". Brilliant.

Heres another in a similar vain.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=837102

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Well well well, what have I just found. Are these people for real or what?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=772706

"Extremely economical at 55 MPG Diesel". Brilliant.
    Seems like he thought out that ad well. It's a 530d Sport, he put's it in as an M5 with a 3.0 petrol engine.

As a side note, I have seen 55+ mpg out of my 530d Sport, but it's a manual which gives much better economy. Real world, the auto is about 35-40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I've seen this about lately - if you are going to fake a model, at least make sure it was actually in production when your car was...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Gatster wrote: »
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I've seen this about lately - if you are going to fake a model, at least make sure it was actually in production when your car was...

There was also an e62 5 series with all the badges on carzone, only it was from the year before the new M5 came out. Not that I advocate it, but at least it was a 540 or something similar, not a 520.

I've been looking at e39s from the UK and there are some awful yokes for sale. There's one with all the kit, including the side air vents - which weren't even on the e39 M5 in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Gatster wrote: »
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I've seen this about lately - if you are going to fake a model, at least make sure it was actually in production when your car was...:rolleyes:

And the lovely square door mirrors :rolleyes:

Here's a genuine E39 M5 with side vents :confused:http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M5/CLEANEST-IN/1001519/

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

As an M3 driver, it really looks stupid when you spot the "M" tech cars. I mean who are they fooling? A genuine M car is completely different in all aspects. Engine, chassis, diff etc.

And they are always the biggest prats on the road as well, the ones who give BMW drivers a bad name. When they see a real M car as well it's like a red rag to a bull for some reason, they will try and race you each and every time, blaring up behind you and then undertaking on the motorways etc. You can bet anything there'll be an M badge glued onto a 318!!

I'm always happy to let them pass, I mean trying to race a 318 in an M3 is like trying to better a simpleton. Let them have their much needed ego boost!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by Rob C
    As an M3 driver, it really looks stupid when you spot the "M" tech cars. I mean who are they fooling? A genuine M car is completely different in all aspects. Engine, chassis, diff etc.

And they are always the biggest prats on the road as well, the ones who give BMW drivers a bad name. When they see a real M car as well it's like a red rag to a bull for some reason, they will try and race you each and every time, blaring up behind you and then undertaking on the motorways etc. You can bet anything there'll be an M badge glued onto a 318!!
    Hmmm. I have a 330ci M-Sport, have '330ci' on the back and wouldn't change it. Not quite sure who you are having a pop at here - those that stick ebay 'M' badges on none M-Cars (by that I mean none sport spec models), or people who have geniune M-Products from BMW that do, in fact, differ to SE or whatever spec cars. When I see a 'real' M-Car, I smile, and know the relative limits of my car. Bear in mind the E36/E46 M3 shares many components with it's little brother, and none are hand built anymore...:confused:

How do you feel about Alpina, or Ac Schnitzer?
    Originally Posted by richie_rvf
    Here's a genuine E39 M5 with side vents http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/...ST-IN/1001519/
    I actually looked at that very car when looking at E39 M5's before I bought mine...sent cold shivers down my spine - not a bad example but just wrong, and strong money for something that has had bits cut out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

I don't think it's the crime of the century in fairness, the people that stick on the M-badge in '08 are possibly a tad...... (simple, ignorant to the meaning) 1980's was the time when it was somewhat acceptable as there was not much of a chance in seeing a real one to compare it with. Can laugh about it now but actually did it back then albeit one damn fine transformation if I do say so myself, then again only other time I stood beside the actual car was at a car show in Earlscourt.
    The chances of seeing the real thing in Ireland back then were the chances of winning the lotto. M's are everywhere now and within a very mixed budget so the pretence thing is just stupid. Then again if some people don't actually understand the whole concept of 'M' & just admire the colourful badge, who are we to say they can not? Even if it is *****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

How about this: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/520/car/956442/ It even has leater seats!

Saw one VERY like it in the paddock at the Ballyvaughan hillclimbs at the weekend.

Advertisement