Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My rabbit escaped from a hutch :((((((

Options
  • 28-07-2007 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I recently bought a hutch for my bunny. And today he was out during day and I dont know how, but when I came home and rushed to him- the door was opened and he was gone. I live in a house with several more in the row and every house has a garden. I looked in almost every garden, neighbors are really helpful but without luck..... I dont know what to do... :(((( Will he come back? Is he so smart to find his own house? :(
    Im so sad... And crying... And desperate....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Sorry to hear that, leave some food around your garden to see if he's still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Very sorry to hear that. I don't have much advice to offer as I've never had an escape outside of the house, I can only suggest that you leave the hutch open with food inside to give your bunny a chance to come back to it and keep a very close watch for the next couple of days, don't give up hope yet. He may be frightened and hiding somewhere, so it might be a good idea to just sit very quietly in the garden for a while and see if you can hear him. Would it be possible for you to leave your back door slightly open for him to come inside if he comes close? He might be attracted to the warmth.
    Best of luck, I hope he comes home safely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Oh dear, try St. Anthony if you are inclined that way. TBH shop bought hutches are not worth the wood they are made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Try and get a friends dog Theyd probly sniff or scare it out
    Best of luck finding it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BENJAMIN61

Try and get a friends dog Theyd probly sniff or scare it out
    Best of luck finding it
    what he said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sandrease

Im still up and sitting in the garden. Everything is silent. No sign of my bunny :(((((

I cant stop crying... I dont know what to do.... :(
    I lost him... :( I dont know how to coupe with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I know that feeling - my dobies went for a rubbish bin search walk in the neighbourhood when puppies and were missing for about an hour - that's before I got my electric fence. Luckily they were able to find their way back.

I hope your bunny comes back - I see from your posts how much you loved and cared for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sorry to hear about your rabbit. Are there a lot of gaps/holes in the fencing that the rabbit could get out of? If not he may still be in the garden hiding somewhere. If the hutch was locked securely is it possible someone could of come into the garden and taken the rabbit or a dog come into the garden (it happens). Keep looking though any places where there is long grass and tunnels etc under decking etc. If you do spot the rabbit but can't catch him some animal shelters hire out humane cat traps, you could try one of these by putting the rabbits favourite veg in it to help catch him.

Fingers crossed he turns up.

He isnt back still. He is missing already 30hours. I put out signs on the notice boards and even went to garda ;( I know thats silly to garda but I dont care they might hear smth.

HE IS BACK!!!!!
    :)))

This morning we found him in our garden hiding behind the rubbish bins sitting closely to them with ears down big scared eyes and very thin...
    I suppose he was in the back garden in the warehouse of the furniture shop because there were those holes in the fence and he could go there. And today on Monday shop opened and people started to go up and down and he got scared and came home....
    He is alive!
    Had to catch him for quite a while though because he was afraid of us.
    I am sooooo happy! :)

Thank you very much for your support!

He made my day! :))
    Usually I hate Mondays but this one is really special!
    Cant wait when Ill get home from work to hug and kiss him! :)
    And on 24th August we are going for Neutering Surgery then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Great to see you got him back :) You can get very attached to Rabbits! I bought one for my girlfriend and iv been looking after it for the 2 weeks she has been away and im very attached to it!!

To avoid it happening again, check the hutch is fully secure when locked and that there is no way he could break out.

In the hutch I got, its got a very heavy roof so he couldnt push it open. The roof is locked with a hook. There is a small enterance which is always locked. I always double check just in case tho.

Great to see your rabbit returned! :)

Thank you very much. Cant wait to see and hug him. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Make sure the garden is secure - so if he does do a runner, he'll have nowhere to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Great news - and fair play to all the people who suggested he could be hiding close by.

My dobies are very attached to rabbits too - that is if they could catch any. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Hip Hip!!!!!

Horay!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

good to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Id be considering secureing the garden with some Chicken wire or something if i was you, congrats on getting him back. Had rabbits years ago when i was living at home in Kerry, 2 of them escaped never to be found again, such a bad time when you loose an animal you've become so close to.
    May you have many happy times with him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's great news! The hutch you bought..is there a run you can buy to attach to it? That might help with extra security also those cheap locks you get you know the ones that slide can be fitted on for extra security you can get them in all sizes.
    As said chicken/rabbit wire the area as well just in casey.
    Is he eating and drinking ok? The little Houdini

Advertisement