Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Davin due to shut down.

• 28-07-2007 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

I heard today that Davin has been sold, and none other to Lidl.

I am bit surprised, the davin is a bit of kip but its been there all my life, and I used to go drinking there , be sad to see it go and especially be turned into a lidl. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Has this been confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Yes - I heard this yesterday but heard that it was Aldi who have bought the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

No great loss except for the Club Sandwich beer there is muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I didn't hear anything about it - but there hasn't been an M&S rumour for a while - so I think M&S have bought it.. ;)

But what's the need for another supermarket with Dunnes and the new Tesco coming soon..?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

I used to practically live there back in my LIT days...oh the days of that projected clock :D

• Advertisement

with so many roumers....I'l believe it when i see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Its not a rumour, its definetly happening, in about 6 months it will happen

Btw its aldi not lidl.

They guy who owns the Davin is knocking it himself and building Aldi, he is then leasing the building to aldi, so he will make a nice bit of moola!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bloody hell, all these years there were very little supermarkets out that side of town. Now they are popping up left, right and centre, how many of these do we really need in one condensed area?

If it is Aldi they will have 3 supermarkets in Limerick then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

ALdi/Lidl were planning to open across from the Coonagh Cross Shopping centre (where that Texaco station was) but planning permission was refused in the last month or so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭phog

Would there not be room for a pub and an Aldi/Lidl? The carpark there is massive and the Aldi/Lidl shops aren't huge by any manner of means. While I wasn't a regular visitor to the Davin I think a pub is needed in the location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Davin is definitely true, but there's also a rumour that a consortium headed up by Raphael Mullaly has bought Supermacs and plans to emulate the success of their Russels and Scotts ventures on the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I didn't hear anything about it - but there hasn't been an M&S rumour for a while - so I think M&S have bought it..

Blimey ..... :eek:

That's a good idea ..... :)

ps. I've just given up Booze so I don't give a $$$$$$$$$ ..... :p

Heard a rumour from my Father, that Supermacs on the ennis road are moving out of the current site and moving into one of the units in the retail park, not sure how true that is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

woohoo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I hope they knock that "Fun World" or whatever it is called too, a total magnet for scumbags hanging outside it, everytime I pass the place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

bazz26 wrote:
    I hope they knock that "Fun World" or whatever it is called too, a total magnet for scumbags hanging outside it, everytime I pass the place anyway.
    yeah definitely - always a few of scobes hanging out there,
    whatever replaces the Davin + hopefully Fun World too can only be an improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

bazz26 wrote:

Agree, completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

heard the workers got their 3-6 month notice yesterday/today. also heard they he is building another pub nearby.

rok wrote:
    yeah definitely - always a few of scobes hanging out there,
    whatever replaces the Davin + hopefully Fun World too can only be an improvement

Tbh there may be a few scumbags outside there, but where are they going to go if Funworld goes? Roam housing estates and causing mischief, then ye would all be complaining about that!

• Advertisement

Todays post says that staff have been given notice, and that Lidl AND Aldi are battling for the building!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The Post probably wrote the article based on this thread and rumours from bar stool engineers all over town.

lol more than likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

The choice now for the Ennis road area is the Greenhills or Woodfield bars. They are both hotel pubs but both do have a local clientele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The choice now for the Ennis road area is the Greenhills or Woodfield bars. They are both hotel pubs but both do have a local clientele.

There's also Toddy's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 barboy25

Has anyone heard anymore about the Davin closing?? i did hear that it is not being sold but it is being leased out. Is a shame because it has the room to be a potentially great place with the right staff and entertainment!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hmm I didnt know it was gonna be leased off, I would rather it be sold so they could do something good with the place.

i suppose, as most people already know, the land there is worth a hell of a lot more than the companies that are currently using it!! How long will the icon of Ivans store last?? Things are changing dramatically and the competition is huge....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

has to be lidil they have been refused planning at connagh, aldi are at coonagh, no point in building 2 miles down the road, all that area is to change, o mears are testing the market as well, worth a fortune these sites, the davin is worth more for building than selling beer, anyways they can build a new pub alongside

• Advertisement

hadn't heard Aldi are going to Coonagh. is it to be in the new Tesco centre ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Jesus, I remember the days before Supermacs/Funworld/The Bowling Alley....it's all changed a lot..

Be sad to see the Davin go, it's a local institution.Too many supermarkets out that side of town now.

Indeed its sad to see the Davin go, but what are your best or worst memories of the Davin. Was it dossing there while you are meant to be in lectures?? or just using it as a place to have a quiet pint with friends?? Anything good or bad, its your call!!! :confused:

thewing wrote:
    Jesus, I remember the days before Supermacs/Funworld/The Bowling Alley....it's all changed a lot..

Be sad to see the Davin go, it's a local institution.Too many supermarkets out that side of town now.

Fights in the swamp god those were the days

So if the Davin goes, where are we going to watch the future All Irelands when Limerick are playing, of course, on the big screen??? they have a great T.V lounge for watching the matches and i dont know of a better one out this side of town!! :eek:

Off to the country club they used to have a class big screen in a small section at the top of the bar

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anyone has heard anymore about what is happening with the Davin Arms? When is it likely to shut? Will it be bulldozed or kept??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slyfox

ok here it is im not going to say who i work for but yes the davin is closeing and yes aldi is going in there, also in 2 years supermacs will be closeing down to make way for another pub one the same as russels or scots "superpubs"

now a bit of background.

the guy who owns the davin also has a building company and owns the land where the davin and supermacs is, so he will be doing all the building work there that is aldi and the new pub.

and lets face both buildings are an eyesore so its a good move if not a cleaver move on his side.

SLYFOX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Good im glad he's closing, the man cant run a pub or just has
    no interst in running one proper.

Ricey never a truer word spoken

Sorry for bringing up an ancient thread, but ccould anyone please tell me
    whether the Davin Arms is still open or not?? I had heard that it was to be closed approx mid January, not sure if that was true or a figment of somebodies imagination!! :confused:

• Advertisement

Was in there last night, i can assure you its still open, but its half the size now, they put a partition halfway through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

So it looks like the Davin is finally gone, after all these years, it was all closed up last night. Remember going there as a kid with my grandfather and father. Remember my first pint was there , even if I was 16 and getting barred for being underage, spending my last day of college there with all my mates drinking and playing snooker, playing poker there with my mates on afternoons where college finished early.

The memories of it all :(.

Roll on Lidl , YAY! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

I didn't know it closed last night. It was our local family pub - only pub I was barred from! I was 2 years old and a strict No Children Allowed policy at one stage so I had to leave.

So is the site going to be a Lidl/Aldi with Funworld and Supermacs going to make way for a large pub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭RINO87

i would have thought he'd have at least left it open till after the match on sunday.
    missing out on a small fortune there!

Well either way its about time that side of the city got a aldi or lidl, seeing as aldi already have two here id assume it will be another lidl... yes/no/maybe?

RINO87 wrote: »
    i would have thought he'd have at least left it open till after the match on sunday.
    missing out on a small fortune there!

believe he ran out of beer on sat at the munster match .. no point restocking it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭RINO87

oh well wrote: »
    believe he ran out of beer on sat at the munster match .. no point restocking it now

ha ha, fair enough! ive a fair idea who was responsible for drinking most of that beer too!!

i got a phone call from someone who shall remain nameless at half eleven sunday morning, looking for me to cover them for work, as they were STILL in the davin

Wow they pulled a all nighter. Impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Was there trouble in the Davin at the weekend???
    I know from earlier posts, it seemed it was closed during the week - anybody know what happened?

• Advertisement
Advertisement