Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Davin due to shut down.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Eh Keith - this thread is all about the Davin closing for good and forever!

It closed last week and a Lidl or Aldi (Lidl I think? not sure) is to be built on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I heard it got trashed on it's last night though - by an infamous Limerick family?

Osk wrote: »
    Eh Keith - this thread is all about the Davin closing for good and forever!

It closed last week and a Lidl or Aldi (Lidl I think? not sure) is to be built on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Yeah I was at the hurling Sunday and I heard the Davin got a bit of a trashing up on the closing night.
    It was a pity they couldn't have done some sort of an outside bar for the hurling match last Sunday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

keith_d99 wrote: »
    I heard it got trashed on it's last night though - by an infamous Limerick family?
    #

Yeah it was one of 'the' familys from what i heard, not sure if im allowed to be more specific here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

When did this happen though - any more details?
    I heard they got thrown out of the country club and moved onto the Davin after that

keith_d99 wrote: »
    When did this happen though - any more details?
    I heard they got thrown out of the country club and moved onto the Davin after that

Thats exactly what i heard, apparently they were allowed to have 1 pint in the Country Club and then they went to the davin and thrashed the joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

in the cc they pulled there tops off and pulled there pances dwn then asked to leave went to the davin caused war brave on to the street they pulled the back of the toilets out etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Would these people be frequenting the Davin fairly often or was it just a once off call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

no just a once off from what i would know, defo a once off in the cc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

ah i shall miss the davin, its where i watched Man United beat Barcelona to reach the Champions league final....surrounded by knacker Liverpool fans...final whistle was oh so sweet:D

New pub opening between the clarion suites and the woodfield, sextons i think it will be called, open for around xmas apparently, if you go by it you can see its under construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Well the day has finally arrived, with the Davin gone, Lidl opened its doors at 9am.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I passed by the place last night, it looked like there was a customer or two in there shortly before 1:00 am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

An Fhile wrote: »
    I passed by the place last night, it looked like there was a customer or two in there shortly before 1:00 am.
    Hey, Welcome back An Fhile!

It will be handy for the cheap drink and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭avillan

Where does the que start for the satellite dishes !:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Chong wrote: »
    Hey, Welcome back An Fhile!

It will be handy for the cheap drink and food.

Thank you! :) It's good to be back. Standards had been slipping in my absence! :D;)

I've a few friends in LIT who live in student accomodation near by. They've been pretty excited about this development, apparently some of the price-deals are a poor student's dream.

It's a shame to have lost the Davin though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Its not a shame to lose the Davin lets be honest it was never a great place so cheap lidl booze is much better

sioda wrote: »
    Its not a shame to lose the Davin lets be honest it was never a great place so cheap lidl booze is much better

I'll put it this way: specifically, as the Davin, it may not be missed, but as a bar with hot food that was rarely too loud to drown out a conversation it was a nice alternative to going out in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

I'll put it this way: specifically, as the Davin, it may not be missed, but as a bar with hot food that was rarely too loud to drown out a conversation it was a nice alternative to going out in town.

Yeah the club sandwich was good eating damn hungry now :(

Virtual sandwiches in the BGRH bar don't go down as well as the real thing!
    With that in mind, I'm going to get food now.

Oh, and as for the new Lidl, apparently they don't sell colouring pencils. Just thought I'd throw that in to stay on-topic!

• Advertisement

Oh, and as for the new Lidl, apparently they don't sell colouring pencils. Just thought I'd throw that in to stay on-topic!

The Dastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

ah sure lads dont worry we still have the country club.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 barboy25

Very true that some may not think of the Davin as a great pub or miss it, but it was a spot to meet with friends or family and have a quiet few with a club sandwich and without having to scream for conversation. There is always someone you will talk to that has a story from the days that they drank there, or something about the staff!! Good memories for some.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ayahuasca

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but I wonder if anyone has photos of the Davin? I spent my early 20s there, but cannot find even one photo online of the place. Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That's bizarre, I had a look myself, and couldn't find anything online. I even used BING! (I wouldn't recommend this, however, as it seems there is a male model called Davin who I guess has nice arms.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There you go haha best I could find at short notice, if you squint you can see it.

Truth be told that doesn't look like the Davin in my memory in the background. I thought it was more "wooden" looking. Based on that image from the LL in 2004 it fits the timeline doesn't it? It had that weird wrap around deck thingy and weird proportions of an entrance hallway.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Try this link: https://web.archive.org/web/20040615000000*/thedavinarms.com

These are the archived snapshots of their website. Some of these archived pages have photos but most of them are not much more than thumbnails. Here's one showing the outside. Again, very small photo but better than nothing I guess!

Apart from that I can't find anything else out there. There was a c.2007 view available on Bing Maps at one point come to think of it but it appears that that footage is no longer available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Try the desktop version of Google maps. You can move a slider back through the history of photos taken at the same location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

That only goes back to 2009. Lidl was there by then.

When I lived there in the 90s we’d prefer that davin to cheap food 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement