Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netsoc?

• 28-07-2007 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭

what has happened to netsoc......i know the irc channel moved to #losers but i havent been able to access that for like 2 weeks!!

also if we are using mIRC where does that leave us standing in sept, in the college, we will be able to still im each etc.......

also what about paul leaving?

im so confused.....

....more then usual....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

well i sorted the connection problem i thought i had it set up to go in a quick way....apparently not....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye whats the craic wit this? hav been tryin to get in the last while. How you gettin in now?

And paul has left? didnt hear that either!

to tell you as far as i know it, paul is finished college(suprise suprise) and wishes to still run it via the im channels ect. all he was looking for was someone in the college to be the figure head and do hard boots etc. he invited 2 people(from my knowledge) to become that person, one definitely flatly refused, the other wanted the position and awaited the juries decision. the jury never returned.
    putty callopsed subsequently, and that server mover to an irc channel, which was recommended to be mIRC. that channel is pretty much dead for all of ten minutes a day. the job is to know those ten minutes are and to make sure paul is on. i want to email paul on a few different things but hes college email(the only one the college and himself provided me with) would be defunked by now....so a certain creek comes to mind whil i miss a certain paddle.....
    if you want the irc details pm me about the..i am more then willing to help on that. other then that i am getting compsoc restarted early and plan to do most of what netsoc did like talks and such. if paul pulls out im more then willing to use his server over the college so we get a few freedoms etc....lol
    freedoms being a few etc gbs of space.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it is a shame that it never took off properly and that no one in the college wanted to continue it but hopefully some of the new 1st years will be eager to get involved!

Rach

"putty callopsed subsequently, and that server mover to an irc channel, which was recommended to be mIRC. that channel is pretty much dead for all of ten minutes a day."

Mirc is an irc client not a server and putty is an ssh client.what died was the bitbucket server.

well i never pay much attention anyway did it ever look like did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

noes, bitbucket, we hardly knew ye! :(

R.I.P Bitbucket... you'll be sorely missed.

But ye, where is Paul? :(

paul? buggered off to graduate!! left netsoc high and dry!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

lynch_3001 wrote:
    also what about paul leaving?

Yeah, without him Netsoc's future isn't looking so sure. :(

I thought I had his mobile number but apparently I don't, so I guess texting him is out. Seemed he's gone and went Keyser Söze on us... if "Paul" was his real name...

Isn't he working for Blacknight Solutions now? Or was he? I don't know. Anyone know?

rumour has it hes workin for a computer games company in dubland. Havok or someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

This is weird, dont actually know the guy but I saw him and some other guys from college in Stephens Green tother (yes im using tother now) day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The_B_Man wrote:
    rumour has it hes workin for a computer games company in dubland. Havok or someone.

Perhaps Vivendi?

heh does mean that compsoc can rape netsoc server.....????lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Okay, I'll give a (hopefully, fairly) complete description of what happened just after my academic year ended (bearing in mind that most "active" bitbucket members had either left the IT either the previous year, or at the same time as me).

We were chugging along nicely coming up to summer... there was a young compsoc admin busting with barely contained enthusiasm and there was talk of a merger for the two societies. There was talk of a new admin on the team, which although had me feeling slightly apprehensive, seemed to be the way forward.

Twas the beginning of the summer, I had just finished up my FYP, sorted out a job and was looking to move to Dublin when suddenly, from nowhere, computer services pulled the plug on the bitbucket VLAN. I had then found out from someone else that they had decided that since i was no longer in the IT, and they had no direct contact with a committee member from bitbucket they were no longer going to host any of our services. Saying this, even if we did have someone to step in after my leaving, CSD did not wish to host netsoc services over the summer months... not certain for their reasoning for this since they never had an issue hosting services over the summer months before.

So this where we stand currently. I've moved the only service non tech users ever used to a server a few of us use in DEG - "losers.yore.ma". There is a public IRC server with services running off port 6667, feel free to join and have teh laff. My own dual processor server, used as the main bitbucket login box, is currently still in the IT, haven't decided what i'm going to do about that yet.. spent a fair few hundred getting it kitted out for netsoc, so i might just take it back. If it hasn't become apparently yet, i kinda don't want to have much dealing with bitbucket as a society any more. I wish young master lynch all the best and will offer any help/advice i can if it's wanted. Heck, i'll even return and give a talk or two if there would be interest :)

So, this is an official "i've kinda stopped giving all that much of a ****" from me. Twas nice while it lasted, twas a massive learning experience and i feel when people were around and active (perhaps 1 or 2 years ago) it was fun. See you on irc://losers.yore.ma if you have any interest in catching up with the old crowd... you specifically Ivan!

Love and kisses,
    PaulD - s4dd

im more interested in the whereabouts of the A-Team server!! i spent a lot of man hours on that! it also aided me in my procrastination by FORCING me not to turn up to class, thus resulting in my failure of the year! but it was worth it! long live the A-Team server!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Man has a point.

That is a fine, fine server that.

i wish to thank s4dd for all his time and efforts in the field and i wish to thank him for helping me grow and investigate new ideas in computing, pervious views only he gave to me(*sniff sniff*).

i would also be very grateful if he could come back and give a talk or two on what ever subjects he sees fit, and possibly a beer would be in order afterward(<---incentive??).

i am investigating a few routes at present for compsoc, especially if there is no VLAN server from netsoc. i would be very appricative if s4dd could provide some old equipment, if it is available, to setup some thing like losers.yore.ma or whatever, as i felt this a stable for all computer users, and we also must think of lashes, what will she do without it! but as i am only back from america just the night i am trying to find my feet with time and such and my exams being only tomorrow i have other things on my mind! i feel i might change the first gaming session to the 17th so we can all be back and rested and settled...etc...

if s4dd could email on my gmail account i would also be grateful as im unsure what email he uses now....hopefully i will be back in the next week with large scale updates!!

thanks
    tabs and shifts

mark(lynch3001 aka killbot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

/facepalm

You havent learned a thing...

Ok, how's about you try sending him an Message through boards? That would be a great first step.

Then, you could go back over his last post and follow (read?) the directions on how to log into losers.yore.ma irc server, where he is most weekdays at the usual office hours...

email address PMed.

Also, Ivan... I think i love you. Plus if we concieved imagine what our children would look like.

i thought u two were the same person? ;)

who is to say that i can get to the computer at office hours, i have been in america the last 3 months!! so what do you think i could do!

i only got on boards also maybe pnce a week at most so i felt it pointless to pm thru boards and i sometimes forget to check the top right hand as my time on computers was short when i got it!

thanks paul!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

s4dd wrote:
    Also, Ivan... I think i love you. Plus if we concieved imagine what our children would look like.

Now there is a scary thought. In fact, I think I'm not going to sleep tonight after that :(

Newbies! Keep the 'soc alive.

/Ruairi

Ruaidhri wrote:
    Now there is a scary thought. In fact, I think I'm not going to sleep tonight after that :(

Newbies! Keep the 'soc alive.

/Ruairi

keep th soc? the soc is dead, long live the soc(compsoc that is!!). i am going to try and suck up most of the netsoc jobs this year

lynch_3001 wrote:
    keep th soc? the soc is dead, long live the soc(compsoc that is!!). i am going to try and suck up most of the netsoc jobs this year

"most of the netsoc jobs" eh? you make me smile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Never Will There Be A Secretary To Replace Me.

edit:
    What happened my funky capitalisation? :(

Advertisement