Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number Stations

• 29-07-2007 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever heard a number station? I read an ebook a while ago about these strange computerised number calling stations which read out sequences of numbers at given times. They were rumoured to be used during the cold war and such to send information to spies in the field and were decoded using a log book. Any stories to share???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Anyone ever heard a number station? I read an ebook a while ago about these strange computerised number calling stations which read out sequences of numbers at given times. They were rumoured to be used during the cold war and such to send information to spies in the field and were decoded using a log book. Any stories to share???

Emergency Action Message (EAM)??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Action_Message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

many still running. It's beleived each is for only one agent.

I've heard them over the years.

1) One time pad. So can't be cracked
    2) Agent has pad in edible form
    3) Ordinary voice in Broadcast band so a ordinary cheap LW/MW/SW radio is used by agent, no special suspicious spy gear.
    4) Some are human voices edited by computer or in earlier days read.
    5) Distinctive intro such as Bongs or the "linconshire poacher" tune (Cyprus, probably UK
    6) Not one country admits to doing it, but judging by direction finding etc, many including Russia, UK, USA and China do it.
    7) Seemingly just as common now. It was fairly late into Cold war that anyone noticed.
    8) Due to longlivity and regularity and power it must be government stations

R4 had a good feature on it. Tune around edges of broadcast band you will find them About 14MHz daytime below 15MHz Nighttime.

Reasonably accurate article, though claims stations exist since WW1, my info is since late 1960s.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ei2dj

Hers's a link to the BBC Radio4 program on the numbers stations

Enjoy!!!

http://127.0.0.1:1646/template.html?nuyhtgmz475fjhpih8xsCcse8dl5tgkd5it6Cfsac7fe8fgexlto58nEoez6b5D2zggqe0z6BxfbgeuqtuDe9ntzre4dkgEfe1svEfDx18ngo0Eb5geurcse40c6ag000000

If the above does not work, there is a link to it on www.philperkins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Now this is interesting. I had no idea that these stations were still in existence.

I know, I know, I need to get me a set of ears ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ei2dj

Now this is interesting. I had no idea that these stations were still in existence.

I know, I know, I need to get me a set of ears ;)

I don't know if they are still around, that Radio4 program is from a few years ago.

By the way congrats on passing the exam, lets know what your callsign is when you get it,

I've been in this hobby for the last 47 years, and I still get great enjoyment from it, and I'm sure you will too.

I enjoy this forum, and many thanks for all your work on it.

look foward to working you on the air some time. Best 73 de Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Thank you for those kind words Mike.

EI2 certainly goes back quite a way, and your input and experience, as well as that of one or two other "safe hands" we are lucky enough to have in our midst is most welcome here by us n00bs:)

My plan is to take the CW at an upcoming rally and shorten the callsign (not yet received). I have to say I'm looking forward to it with relish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The second link has a link to the link! Also a program on SW jamming (mostly gone). The Numbers are still there.

Well you can do CW on air without the shorter call sign :)
    I have a Koch trainer on the laptop, but I was wondering is there one for Series 60 ver 3 Nokia, like E6x models?

Advertisement