Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rating Stars - Colours

Options
  • 29-07-2007 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

The current thread rating system has come up as a topic a lot recently.

A thread with a one star is offically "Terrible" but it looks good enough to have received a "Gold Star".
    A thread with two stars is offically "Bad" but it looks good enough to have received "Two Gold Stars".
    A thread with three stars is offically "Average" but it looks good enough to have received "Three Gold Stars".

Confusing really. Although we know a single gold star is terrible we still see a "Gold Star" which is always a reward for excellence.

I would also suggest that by default all threads when posted are set to "Average" ie neutral and then subsequent ratings decide its true worth.

Is there any chance that the colours of the stars could be changed to something like this:

Terrible = 1 Red Star
    Bad = 2 Orange Stars
    Average = 3 White Stars
    Good = 4 Green Stars
    Excellent = 5 Gold Stars
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm more interested in the fact that anyone would judge the merit of a thread by its star rating. :)

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I know where Hagar is coming from. This should only really apply in certain forums IMO.

Perhaps a thumbs-up/thumbs-down type rating system would suit better for some forums, though this may not be possible with vBulletin??

mike65 wrote:
    I'm more interested in the fact that anyone would judge the merit of a thread by its star rating. :)

Mike.

For places like Lolocaust for example, I'd view the 5 star threads first.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hagar wrote:
    Confusing really. Although we know a single gold star is terrible we still see a "Gold Star" which is always a reward for excellence.

I thought the gold star was there to patronise the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm with you on the first bit, but not on the proposed colour coding. :D

It looked like you were going for a traffic light-esq type colour coding stystem, but then you LOST IT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I was basing it on traffic lights but there's only three colours to work with.
    I was trying to wing it after that, don't tell anyone.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

+1 on this suggestion.

I don't see how people can know if a thread is good or not by it's title because you could have a thread called "No one knows how to do it like me" and that could be anything really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Nehpets wrote:
    I don't see how people can know if a thread is good or not by it's title
    I don't know how people are going to know if a thread is good or not by its star rating, because I have seen some pretty retarded threads with 5 stars attached. Also, you can't see who rated the threads or by how much, so its just meaningless noise.

At the end of the day, every one of these devices is useless anyway. Click into the thread and make your own mind up on whether you want to read it again or not.

Advertisement