Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Texting

• 29-07-2007 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭

Just curious to the texting habits of the nation,

With everyone using phones is it exceptable to not reply to text messages, as in texts go back and foth and one party always ends abruptly leaving the other hanging.

Should texts be only used for announcements or running late messages?

Should we give up on texting and talk to each other?

Me? I am just curious

Texting?? 94 votes

there should be some etiquette to it
    0% 0 votes
    Grand for small things only
    43% 41 votes
    Prefer to talk
    38% 36 votes
    meh!!!
    18% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I only text when I have to. It's useless, you can convey so much more with a simple quick phonecall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I usually text, but there's nothing worse than the recipient making a meal out of it and repeatedly replying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

too much text speak in texts, what with all the smart phones about now nearly everyone has a virtual qwerty keyboard, lets use it folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Often you can sort out and arrange more stuff in a 30 second phone call than 10-20 texts.
    That's what I find anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Bollox wrote:
    I usually text, but there's nothing worse than the recipient making a meal out of it and repeatedly replying
    There's nothing worse than answers like "yep", "nope", "dunno" and nothing else.

I don't reply to texts unless a reply is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

People I know are horrible when texting so Id rather call them for a few seconds to explain it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

seamus wrote:
    There's nothing worse than answers like "yep", "nope", "dunno" and nothing else.

But they text you again in 20 minutes giving out to you for not texting back.

Great for passing info like flight details, phone numbers, "left work" etc

quick one way messages.

if you want a chat use the "phone" part of the mobile texter :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The funny thing about texting is that it gained popularity as a cheaper way to pass information due to high daytime call charges....but these days it's waay chepaer to just make the bloody call, say your piece and hang up rather than spending 12 c and all that thumb time typing it out. When you get to the point of having multiple texts back and forth, each user pays significantly more in charges than they would have if one of them had just dialed the other.
    The only time I text these days is from the free online service...the rest of the time I'll just use voice. I can say many times as much in my 20 c worth of minute than I could for my 12 c 160 character text.
    Service providers must make a fortune off texting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It is handy for when you can't talk though, say you need a bit of privacy in a crowded place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I mostly text!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

i hate talking on the phone, interrupting each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

well i am with a particular phone company and my friends are with the same particular phone company so i can text them for free. its good to avoid talking to your boss when you are late:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Don't get me wrong, texting has it's place....but this constant back and forward RSI inducing stuff is daft. Sh*t like getting dumped or fired by text is downright wrong (IMO).
    All that said, it is a different form of communication to voice...for instance a joke is a lot better read from a text than someone trying to tell you it down the line (assuming it's funny) and as much as we may h8 or <3 it, it's spawned it's own language of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I normally text rather than call cause I find it easier. Handier to send a text than call the person up - don't like talking on phones much.
    Started going out with a girl earlier in the year and we text pretty much all day. I've sent about 5000 texts since March and used probably 2500 of the free web texts too. So thank God for free Meteor to Meteor texting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

great for noisy pubs and for sending numbers and when you want to avoid talking to someone and for saving credit and for drunk ppl who cant remember anything about the last phone call and for multiple reciepient messages to inform a group about something and for....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I mostly text but I don't use textspeak, leetspeak or any other language apart from basic English when sending, may make them longer than they need be and true enough most people could readily read "u" as "you" and such but best to be clear and easily understood IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I hate texting so much that when I lost my phone last march, I deliberately didn't get another one until June, and that was only because my friend gave me his old one. It was so peaceful not having people text me and try to have a pointless conversation.
    Also, txt spk is just a lazy way out of spelling a word properly. T9 or not, people are just not bothered learning how to spell properly.
    Also also, teenagers seem to think it's cool. This needs to be stopped before we end up with a nation of people who cannot spell everyday words properly.
    Also also also, send me a message using txt spk and I'll rip your ****ing head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I have actually worked with people in an office who couldn't spell worth a damn thanks to texting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I text a lot, just type it in in work usually. Good ole texts. No etiquette!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

watsgone wrote:

With everyone using phones is it exceptable to not reply to text messages, as in texts go back and foth and one party always ends abruptly leaving the other hanging.

Me? I am just curious

I dislike talking on the phone. I pretty much just text.

I think it's rude not to reply to a text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Much prefer to talk. Texting just isn't communication. Worst thing invented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Terry wrote:
    I hate texting so much that when I lost my phone last march, I deliberately didn't get another one until June, and that was only because my friend gave me his old one. It was so peaceful not having people text me and try to have a pointless conversation.
    Also, txt spk is just a lazy way out of spelling a word properly. T9 or not, people are just not bothered learning how to spell properly.
    Also also, teenagers seem to think it's cool. This needs to be stopped before we end up with a nation of people who cannot spell everyday words properly.
    Also also also, send me a message using txt spk and I'll rip your ****ing head off.

the fact that you have to squeeze all you want to say into 160 characters or whatever it is, means that you have to shorten some words to make it all fit, or risk paying double/triple. mightnt mean much to you, but it can really add up.

personally, between my awkward job, and most of my mates being in college and or working part time jobs, it can be quite difficult to get to see people as much as id like, as well as finding time for phonecalls, quite often when i call people, theyre just on their way out hte door, or just in from work and going for a lie down, or in the middle of cooking the dinner or whatever... it's generally more convenient to text, which means, for me, that i get to keep in touch with people, and that it keeps them in my thoughts too, so we're more likely to meet up eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I prefer to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I always text, I hate talkinng on the phone and texting gets to the point

however, I always use proper spelling and grammar and if somebody texts me using txt spk I won't reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Terry wrote:
    /sends Terry a txt spk message asking if he knows people in Leixlip
    narco wrote:
    the fact that you have to squeeze all you want to say into 160 characters or whatever it is, means that you have to shorten some words to make it all fit, or risk paying double/triple.
    Choose your messages wisely.

And don't bother me with "hy r u gng ot 2nt" when "Hi. Are you going out tonight?" fits into the same thing. You're charged for a block of characters, not per character. Feel free to use as relevant many of 160 as possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

nobody ever texts me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

narco wrote:
    the fact that you have to squeeze all you want to say into 160 characters or whatever it is, means that you have to shorten some words to make it all fit, or risk paying double/triple. mightnt mean much to you, but it can really add up.
    If your words can't fit into 160 characters, you're better off ringing :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Use free texts or internet free texts then narco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

watsgone wrote:

Me? I am just curious

curiousity killed the cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Until I had free texts (g'wan the Meteor) it was just for quick messages / announcements (running late etc) ...
    Now it's kinda addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

For anything is important that requires clear communication I will always call. Many times I have sent a text to someone and not got an answer when an answer was required or to advise of a change of some arrangement. Things then go tits up and they say they never got the message, which may or may not be bulls**t - I'd say most of time it is.

Much better to call someone and hear their voice and get something confirmed that way.

I've seen my sister spend maybe up to an hour texting over and back to a friend and I am thinking ffs just call the person up, say what needs to be said and then hang up. Suppose some people like the detachment of text and are sometimes able to be a bit more coy and playful etc.

I most text when I am plastered and I text many of my mates telling them they're all cnuts. They know I use this word quite often so know that I am not being offensive, rather just being drunk. C U l8r.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Texting is horrible and should only be used for announcements. Beep Beep. Beep Beep every two seconds and you feel as though it's your duty to reply. Just call me and eff off like.

Although i'm always amazed at how many people feel the need to carry a phone around with them. I have on occasion just left it in another room, or at home when i'm out because I don't want to be bothered. Then you run in to a mate who gets annoyed because you didn't have your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Terry wrote:
    wtf r u tlkn bout? txtspk rxrs.

i also hate text speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

farohar wrote:
    I have actually worked with people in an office who couldn't spell worth a damn thanks to texting.

Does the OP work in the same office? I mean, seriously, what the f*ck is 'exceptable'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

My brother is a mental texter, he send 5 pages a message on a Nokia... thats the amount he's aloud, & he could do more if he could!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wertz wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, texting has it's place....but this constant back and forward RSI inducing stuff is daft. Sh*t like getting dumped or fired by text is downright wrong (IMO).

In one of my previous jobs, on of the guys got fired by text because the manager didn't want to have to talk to the guy and he then refused to answer the phone to him. It was pretty low and the rest of us were angry with the manager about it, but then he bought us a load of free drinks after work, so we forgot about it.
    Never been dumped by text, but know of a few people who it's happened too. Not very nice at all, but then again when is breaking up nice. I think in some cases getting dumped by text is best for all parties involved, kind of like ripping off a band-aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i use text more than i talk but i hate text speak and go mental when i get a text/reply in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Marksie wrote:
    Texting just isn't communication.
    I disagree with this.

I can communicate a lot of information to the team using Free texts from the phone company's website.

Venue, Meet Time and Kick Off time.

It saves me calling ~20 lads and repeating the same message.

I send a group text the evening before, or morning of a game, then it's up to the lads to either post in the forum, text me back or ring me letting me know if they'll be there or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Yeah i'm a bitch for the Texting.

I'm moving off a bill now coz every bill is too high and i ALWAYS get my talktime minutes Carried forward coz i dont use them all up. the bills are so high coz of Texts. its madness.
    but the worse thing is....i have certain friends who just seem to Avoid Phonecalls....what is that!?! then you get a text a few mins later saying sorry they weren't near their phone but you know if you ring they wont anser again. ive a coupld of friends ive never actually SPOKEN to on the phone. hate to see their Bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I much prefer texting, it just gives me more time to consider what I want to say and structure it in the way I desire it to be read.

I don't use txt spk and my messages are frequently well over one page in length, not uncommon for them to be up to four pages if I'm giving a definitive answer! :D

I find it very rude when people don't reply in a prompt manner if I've received a report saying the message has been delivered.... just a pity there's no read receipt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

I Dislike having to use it, I can never convey the message the way i want through text as well as i can through speech, and it usually takes me longer to think out and write the message than it would to actually call the person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Its grand for organising a session....i.e. Group text: Pub 9 o clock.

Other than stuff like that i rather calling people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

MooseJam wrote:
    too much text speak in texts, what with all the smart phones about now nearly everyone has a virtual qwerty keyboard, lets use it folks
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

txtin is good for somebody sendin u an address or phone number or some detail that u need to write down. also, another thing its good for is if ya meet a girl out on a night out, ringin is a bit much, so some casual txtin works wonders!

Advertisement