Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Broadband - Sharing?

Options
  • 29-07-2007 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can answer this question...

I thinking of getting the O2 mobile broadband.
    States speeds of 3.6Mbps, as far as I know it will run at somewhere between 1.8 & 2.2 Mbps.
    This is fine for me but what if someone else wants to use it at the same time?

Can a USB hub be used to split the incoming broadand signal so it can be used by 2 people on 2 different laptops at the same time?

Anyone's feedback who has any experience using this configuration sucessfully would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Wondering where you pulled your figures out of :) ? I wouldn't expect to get between 1.8-2.2meg because frankly you will be disapointed. I would expect to get closer to 800-900kb if your lucky. Look around this forum and you will see the problems 3 users have been having because of the limitations of the same technology. Its a mobile technology and really isn't to replace having a fixed broadband connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 tostao1014

I have tested the speed a number of times on irishisptest.com and got speeds ranging between 2.2 to 2.7mbps.

I set up Internet Connection Sharing in XP to share with another PC I want to have Internet access. I can pig Internet sites from my second machine but haven't yet got HTTP (web browser traffic) working.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a ethernet/Wifi router to share the connection and an PCMCIA data card.

Or else use ICS on a "master PC" with USB dongle.

A USB hub only lets multiple client devices be used by 1 PC, never vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a ethernet/Wifi router to share the connection and an PCMCIA data card.

Or else use ICS on a "master PC" with USB dongle.

A USB hub only lets multiple client devices be used by 1 PC, never vice-versa.

tostao1014 wrote:
    I have tested the speed a number of times on irishisptest.com and got speeds ranging between 2.2 to 2.7mbps.
    Try in a month or two time and see how you compare. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wondering where you pulled your figures out of :) ? I wouldn't expect to get between 1.8-2.2meg because frankly you will be disapointed.
    I have O2 broadband and I get speeds of 3.6Mbps in HSDPA areas but I've laso got GPRS at about 50k and UMTS at 100-300k. Depending on the number of people in your cell using the service at the same time you'll get varying speeds. It'll be interesting to see how things go as time goes on and more people start using the service.

Apparently the Draytek Vigor 2910 can connect to the USB 3G modems so you may not need the PCMCIA adapter.

jor el wrote:
    I have O2 broadband and I get speeds of 3.6Mbps in HSDPA areas but I've laso got GPRS at about 50k and UMTS at 100-300k. Depending on the number of people in your cell using the service at the same time you'll get varying speeds. It'll be interesting to see how things go as time goes on and more people start using the service.
    Although I would have much more faith in 02 than 3 in keeping their system usable you would be very lucky to keep speeds like that unless your lucky to be in a very rural area with no people.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

tostao1014 wrote:

I set up Internet Connection Sharing in XP to share with another PC I want to have Internet access. I can pig Internet sites from my second machine but haven't yet got HTTP (web browser traffic) working.

GoCall01: The ICS route is probably the simplest. Assuming all your machines are running XP, it's pretty easy to set up.

Tostao1014: Have you checked your firewall settings on both machines. I beat my head against a brick wall for ages until I remember to open the firewall to http traffic :o

Advertisement