Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waxing in Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Limerickham

kelly1939 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I know this post is old but I have been living in galway for 8 years and could never find anywhere that did good waxing and by that I mean clean and both front and back hair taken off. But there is a salon in Barrys hairdressers on shop street its called the Beauty Rooms. The girl that does the waxing is so nice and explans exactly what she is goin do and what exactly you want off. paper knickers are optional and she can cover you with a towel if you like. the wax they use is for super sensitive skin and wasnt sore at all well as not sore as waxing can be. She does the back as well and you can go on all fours or just lie on your belly. It was good price to, I had a few things done with them there brazillian, half leg, underarm, eyebrows and tinting all for 60 euro and she painted my nails while the tint was on. :D:D:D:D

Hi, not sure about anyone else who has gone there, but my experience wasn't anything as described above. There was a nice girl there (blonde and smiley) she was very professional and did a very good job - and quick too. I went back a second time to get the same girl. The manager did my shellacs as that girl was no longer there. She had a bit of an attitude and my shellacs only lasted 3 days instead of the 3 weeks I had paid for. She also grew very short when answering the questions I had about after care. I don't think i'll be going back again!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

can't get over the amount of people that have felt compelled to sign up just to give their recommendation for a salon.

Had no idea people were so passionate about waxing:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kateof

Call me ol fashioned - I cant believe the gymnastics that goes on, pretty incredible really!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭cadburys

anyone have any good recent recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rubywoo

Sorry, yes I'm guilty of that. I had googled waxing in Galway and this thread popped up. I registered and then posted, and now know I should have posted in the introductions thread first.
    Apologies if I peed anyone off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 eveya

sunny10 wrote: »
    Got a fantastic hollywood wax (all off). Was so fast and very professional, knickerless with a towel discreetly placed, does front and back so had to go on all fours for that but was very quick.

Mod Edited for clarification.

excuse my ignorance, but what's the story with all fours? When I got a brazilian , I didn't go on all fours. My presumption was always that hollywood is all hair taken off & brazilian is everything off except for the "landing strip" at the front! :D
    I found the brazilian didn't quite get everything underneath, but I was given disposable undies. Did I ask for the wrong treatment??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It should have gotten everything off.

All fours is (from my experience) when they make sure your bum is waxed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eveya

It should have gotten everything off.

All fours is (from my experience) when they make sure your bum is waxed properly.
    I'd a feeling that was the case, she bent my legs back while I was lying down, so she got most of it, but not quite all of it, but I was a bit too shy to ask "eh should I be on all fours for this?!"!!

I think it's the preference of the beautician as well. The first time i was told to get on all fours I thought I was going to die of embaressment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jelly Belly xx

Went to Elysium in Moycullen and as a waxing virgin I was terrified! It was brilliant and as painless as can be! Lady was really kind and well used to removing hair without fuss. Used hot wax and out in 45 mins, defo would go back again :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 atotalperplex

I went to BE A DIVA in Galway, and it was great!!!
    They gave me a lovely waxing, and the staff were so nice.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

mmmmh im still undecided where to go....

Gal44 wrote: »
    mmmmh im still undecided where to go....

HEAVEN SCENT!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

I just had my first ever wax in Uptown Girl above the Cellar and I cannot recommend it enough. Amanda is lovely and really puts you at ease and I can honestly say it didn't hurt a bit. A regular bikini wax was only €15, I will definitely be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GalwayAnnie

I've referred to this post a few times for advice so feel only fair to give my feed back. I tried Wish Beauty Salon in Knocknacarra on basis of above recommendations, had my first ever Brazilian there. However I had nothing to compare with. I took two panadol before hand (can't recommend this highly enough), of course if you could also take two glasses of wine should feel nothing. It went well, embarrassing, not my finest hour but then which of us has our finest hour during this process. Over the next 3 months, returned two more times, different girls each time. My feedback, 2 very good, 1 alright.

However having heard so much about Brazilia felt I had to give it a try, see what we were missing, so went to Sandymount branch one day I was in Dublin. Wax was excellent but girl was soooo cold, there was a TV on to save her having to talk to you. I had no idea daytime TV was so bad and I was getting mad at some stupid discussion on TV and left wound up, alot poorer, little change out of €100 for full leg, Brazilian and underarm but very smooth and not a mark.

Next appointment, I was back in Galway, I was going to go to Wishes again but traffic now with road repairs in Westside is a disaster and I decided to check out Elysium in Moycullen as I am on that side of city. I was lying on bed when I realised I had forgotten to take my panadol, disaster! But all good, some pain but quite efficient, no marks and not too expensive €69 for full leg, Brazilian and underarm. I think I might try them again.

Still dreaming of some place that makes it a half pleasureable experience but I dont think that exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kneevee

I had to look for a new beauticians after my usual waxing place closed down. Went to look for a new one and it was so difficult, as most of the reviews online were outdated. So, instead, I opted for the traditional route and asked around at different beauticians. I had one requirement: they had to have hard wax; the one that goes onto the skin, wait for it to dry and rip it off. The wax pulled off with paper strips method was something I was in no way willing to try for the duration of a hollywood waxing as I'd heard it was much more painful.

Fortunately, I went to Uptown Girl and Amanda (the owner) explained to me the wax she uses for the bikini area. This is when I learnt that the hot wax beauticians had been using on me for the past 4 years was not the proper wax for down there.

At first I was a little apprehensive of using any other type of wax, especially one that involved a strip to remove the wax. Amanda explained that she uses a warm wax specific to waxing the bikini area and assured me that it's better than the hard wax. So I made an appointment and this lady is very in demand, so make sure you book it in advance.

I arrived for my appointment and I prepared myself for pain, mostly because I had left it so late since my last waxing; it was always the worst when I left it too long with the hard wax. But with the wax used at Uptown girl she said it wasn't a problem. And she was right.

The wax used is a lavender coloured warm wax and the strips are excellent quality, as they're made of a soft material. All in all, it was less painful than the hard wax; the least painful wax I have ever experienced. I couldn't believe how quick it was, I was finished in 15 minutes rather than the usual 30mins and my hair is pretty strong. Better still, the finish was excellent, as I got up to get changed I expected to be removing those lumps and strings of hard wax that remain after my normal wax. However, with the wax at Uptown Girl there was NO waxing residue, it was so clean. Also the hairs were gone; I ALWAYS ask for a hollywood, I ask for all the hair gone and I never get it. Usually there's bits of hair that beauticians miss or that the hard wax just cannot get at. It's been well over a month since I got my last wax and I've made another appointment for next week.

In summary, Uptown Girl is the best waxing place to go in Galway. The beautician Amanda is efficient and super friendly; she's fabulous and a great distraction against the little pain that existed.

I hope this helps those in search of a good waxing place in Galway.

Advertisement