Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eircom default wep key?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Never heard of that before but it could have been true at one time.

In the first generation of Wireless routers that Eircom sent out, there was no encryption on by default.

At present WEP is used but it is possible that they sent out some with a default key which would be changed if you used the install disk to connect.

Can confirm that that key does not work with the current batch of Netopia's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Timmins

I reset my Netopia 3341s to default settings and neither matched that WEP key. It must've been the older ones that guy blogged about. I wonder if we got a load of people to submit their default SSID / WEP Key we might be able to find some sort of cross reference and write a program to generate the WEP Key based on the configuration of numbers after "eircom" in the SSID?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am no expert on wireless security but I have read many many times that WEP is really weak and that methods to break it can easily be found so the answer is to change to WPA and as that blogger put it mac filtering as well.

Unfortunately most people have not got the foggiest notion about this sort of stuff and it is probably pretty hard for any isp to find a happy medium when it is issuing wireless routers. I am not convinced that the wireless should be turned on by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Timmins

WEP can be cracked if so many of them are collected to break the key, using apps like AirSnort. Thats not really the topic of conversation, though.. Mac filtering is rather useless because Mac addresses are easily spoofed

Advertisement